A mifi question (1 Viewer)

May 8, 2011
God's county. Helmsley, North Yorkshire.
Funster No
MH
IH Tio 630 RL
Exp
Since April 1846 but have always camped.
Hi,
I need to buy a payg mifi. The best deal seems to be with the 3 network, however I'm going to France for a month and want to be able to use it there. I believe that data roaming charges can be huge so do I need to buy an unlocked mifi and then buy a data sim in France or can I still get the one from 3 and just change the sim when I get there?

Can anyone also recommend an unlocked mifi and data sim if I can't use the one from 3 ?

Many thanks.

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
I did not think you could use them in France?

I did not think you could use them in France????

the 3 mifi is great in the UK.... I had a good signal at Malvern when few could get a signal...

Bob

chatter

Free Member
Aug 3, 2009
cheshire
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
10+
Check out Ebay someone posted a link in chat the other night to an unlocked one, (or one that the person selling would unlock if required)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

chatter

Free Member
Aug 3, 2009
cheshire
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
10+
I did not think you could use them in France????

the 3 mifi is great in the UK.... I had a good signal at Malvern when few could get a signal...

Bob

Why not Bob, its the same as a dongle, but rather than having to be attached via a usb it uses a wifi connection to your lappy/notebook/pad like a home broadband service

Last edited:

Dubiousp

Free Member
Jul 3, 2012
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Eldis Autoquest
Exp
First
I bought the 3 mifi pay as you go and then unlocked it through EBAY. Since then what ever card ive put in the unit sets its own settings and away you go.

Ive not tried outside UK but have tryed all the common providers but also some of the strange ones here

TM59

Free Member
Sep 16, 2011
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Rapido V55 PVC
Exp
since 2003
Link Removed

Try this web site might be of use, if it does not work as a link type it into address bar.

Trevor

OP
OP
Nirvanauk
May 8, 2011
God's county. Helmsley, North Yorkshire.
Funster No
MH
IH Tio 630 RL
Exp
Since April 1846 but have always camped.
Link Removed

Try this web site might be of use, if it does not work as a link type it into address bar.

Trevor
Thanks for that. Just had a quick look at the site it offers three packs.
For low end use there seems no way of buying extra time. For medium use it does not support mifi and the high end use is limited to 30 days that you have to pay a £100 deposit for the sim and then return it to them after 30 days.

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
unlocking the 3 Huawei MIFI unit is a piece of cake with a £1.99 spend on ebay. did mine worked a treat took literally minutes to do but must be attached to PC to do it.

as for cheap Data roaming outside Uk thats the " Holy Grail" , it all seems a bit expensive to me. if you find one please post it.:thumb:

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
brand new unlocked Mifi cheaper than buying locked from 3
Link Removed

then put in a sim suited to the country your touring

Apr 8, 2008
Snaith
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Nineteen years
If you are in Portugal a sim from Nos is a Euro a day for great strong wifi got iPad two phone and a fire sick all working well streaming most nights, and it's pay as you go.

Oct 14, 2007
Rochester
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Mohawk
Exp
16 fun filled years
This is a 5 year old post I think things have changed a lot now.

Teuchter

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Nov 4, 2014
Lee on the Solent
Funster No
MH
Hymer Mercedes MLI 580
Exp
I have been caravanning for 32 years but in 2014 I have"gone over to the dark side"
I too need help :)

I have a Huawei (Genuine UK Spec) Unlocked E5377s-32 150 Mbps 4G LTE Mobile WiFi Hotspot with a 3 sim on POYG - works fine in

France, Spain & Portugal
IF (and a big IF) one of 3's partner networks have good reception!! which is quite often not the case!

It often shows Orange or Vodafone as present but (as I am on 3) unavailable - so if I had a PAYG Huawei compatible vodafone sim I guess it would work fine on that?

Also whilst the mifi spec. is 4G I can only get 3G - could it be the 3 sim causing this?

Thanks in advance to anyone helping (y)

Chrysalis

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 16, 2016
Herts
Funster No
MH
Rapido 890F A Class
Exp
I'm a newbie
It doesn't really answer your question, but we just signed up for an EE MiFi. At £22/month it is not cheap, but we do like to keep on line and this gives us 20GB per month at very high speed and we run 2 smart phones, 2 iPads and the Sat Nav on it whilst travelling and alsonplan to link in the Skybox for on Demand. Putting the £22 into context, it is one night in a CC Club site so we can finance it by more frequently using Brit Stops

Chrysalis

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 16, 2016
Herts
Funster No
MH
Rapido 890F A Class
Exp
I'm a newbie
Ps, the EE MiFi also works throughout Europe with no Roaming Charges

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Always buy a genuine unlocked version then you can swap and change networks as you need/want.
EBay usually have an abundance of unlocked ex-network (3, EE etc) mifi but they can be choosy which networks they will accept.
If it has a network logo on the case it's usually as above

Apr 26, 2015
Ottershaw
Funster No
MH
Hymer S820
Exp
First motorhome May 2021
Also whilst the mifi spec. is 4G I can only get 3G - could it be the 3 sim causing this?

I think if you need 4G in Europe you may need to get a Vodaphone or a local SIM, i don't have first hand knowledge of this but it seems that way from what i've read.

David Bunker

Free Member
Oct 29, 2015
Canterbury
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Too many years
Three partners in Europe usually only offer 3G to us Three roamers even if they have 4G available. I'd imagine Three have it that way to keep costs down.

Jun 18, 2012
Preston
Funster No
MH
Grandad's Camper-CPC
Exp
Since 2012
Three partners in Europe usually only offer 3G to us Three roamers even if they have 4G available. I'd imagine Three have it that way to keep costs down.

Do you think they will still be able to do that after 15th June? Shouldn't we get the same as we have in our home country?

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
We have a '3' contract for data, £20 a month for 40gb (24 month contract), the unit is larger that a MIFI, basically a router but for a sim rather than land-line based broadband, but it is 12v so can be run in a MH, it also apparently can be used to receive wifi too although I've not had to try this. We already have a MIFI (ex Vodafone which we unlocked and can use in Europe) so use this but might give the router a try next time to see how it does in comparison. We did have some 'fun' trying to get a signal sometimes but then again we were in very remote places and some didn't even have phone signals!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back