Jun 14, 2009
North East Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Into our 4th year
Hi,
We fancy going to Olivers Mount for the Gold Cup motorcycle road races in September. Has anyone else been? The caravan club sight at West Ayton appears to be the nearest site or can you park the van at the circuit during the races? Any info will be appreciated.:Smile:

Cheers
Les

paulmold

Free Member
Jun 15, 2009
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
7 year (25yrs a tugger)
We've been to Oliver's Mount when it has been a C&CC temporary holiday site. As it's a sports field there are toilets and showers, whether they would be available to campers at the races, I don't know. When we were there in August 3 years ago,it rained non-stop for a fortnight and it got extremely soggy with most caravans and MH's having to be towed off by 4x4's. With that in mind you may be wise to find a separate site.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
not 100% certain but i believe there is camping on the mount itself for the two day events.

its on the field nearest the farmhouse and is very basic when used for camping....
nearest shops and bars are around 1 and 1/4 miles from the site
no hookup available.
portaloo's

the same field they use for the bikers village for the bike week and cock 'o the north meets.

worth contacting them for more info.

west ayton CC site will probably be fully booked by now.

the alternatives are Link Removed 2 miles from the town on the A170 pickering road.
very highly praised by some members here.

another is Arosa campsite in the village of seamer around 3 miles from scarborough on the old york (A64) road.

personally i would use either of these two in favour of west ayton CC site.

after that you're into the big commercial sites on the A165 around 5 miles from town...warners etc...noisy, busy, crowded.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
in real desperation theres always my hardstanding at home, no charge, with hookup and water.

10 minute walk from the circuit, 1/2 hour from shops and bars

Last edited:

Benni-Boy

Free Member
Feb 10, 2009
Halifax
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
30 years
Hi, try Jacob's Mount. Never been myself but alway's meant to visit. Looks good on the website. Only a couple of miles out of Scarborough on the A170 Pickering road.

ade

Free Member
Sep 28, 2007
North Staffs
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Hi

We went for the first time last year, had a great time! You can stop on the circuit for £10 a night, no hook up but tons of motorhomes there. Friday night's quiet but Saturday night's a bit louder, everyone behaved themselves! It was a separate field for the motorhomes/caravans from the bikers village but it got so busy the tents overflowed into our field.

The racing was most excellent, had a great time and going again twice this year - also doing the Ian Watson in April.

This is the website for Auto 66 who run the racing at Scarborough, there is a booking form under ticket orders:

http://www.motorcycle-racetrack.co.uk/

If you are a road racing fan then Go Big!!!

See you there

Ade

Last edited:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Hi

We went for the first time last year, had a great time! You can stop on the circuit for £10 a night, no hook up but tons of motorhomes there. Friday night's quiet but Saturday night's a bit louder, everyone behaved themselves! It was a separate field for the motorhomes/caravans from the bikers village but it got so busy the tents overflowed into our field.

The racing was most excellent, had a great time and going again twice this year - also doing the Ian Watson in April.

This is the website for Auto 66 who run the racing at Scarborough, there is a booking form under ticket orders:

http://www.motorcycle-racetrack.co.uk/

If you are a road racing fan then Go Big!!!

See you there

Ade

thanks for the info ade.....only live down the hill so never stayed onsite.
is it the farmhouse field or the main football pitch field ?

BTW...they've got the new footbridge on the top fields finished after the hiab truck took the old one out last year.

DavidEJM

Free Member
May 31, 2009
Oxfordshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Wow, I haven't been to Olivers Mount since I was a teenager :Smile:.

Been looking at trying some different events this year, I might have to put that on the calendar.

Is that the best event for the year or are there others sooner?

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Wow, I haven't been to Olivers Mount since I was a teenager :Smile:.

Been looking at trying some different events this year, I might have to put that on the calendar.

Is that the best event for the year or are there others sooner?

heres the auto 66 club calender david.

AUTO 66

July's bike week is supposed to be excellent.

OP
OP
Findlaters

Findlaters

Free Member
Jun 14, 2009
North East Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Into our 4th year
Hi
Thanks for all the help. A special thanks to Pappajohn for offering the use of your drive. We have decided to make it a long wekend and after reading Paulmold's note of the quagmire three years ago we have managed book the West Ayton site. After less than a year of motorhoming we have already been stuck on wet grass once and have vowed to stick to the hard stuff!!!::bigsmile:

Don't know if the September meeting is the best one to attend but after watching some clips on Youtube we can't wait to go.

Cheers
Les

bill2b

Free Member
Oct 21, 2009
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
Hi Top
Exp
in real desperation theres always my hardstanding at home, no charge, with hookup and water.

10 minute walk from the circuit, 1/2 hour from shops and bars

Is there any Car racing there Papajohn?
:thumb::thumb:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Is there any Car racing there Papajohn?
:thumb::thumb:

only the occasional hill climb.

the RAC rally used to hold a stage on the mount but i dont know its still happening....probably is !!

the mount isnt suited to true car racing, only single car time events, due to it being just a bit wider than single track road....only a couple of straights were overtaking would be viable (just)...unless the drivers are totally nuts.

to give you some idea of the circuit its 2.5 miles long and the outright lap record is 83.286 mph (1 min, 45.036 sec )

in 1946 it stood at 57.49 (2 min, 33 sec)

so with modern bikes and tyres its only 26 mph faster after 64 years.

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back