Free Member
Mar 11, 2013
Arundel
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2009
I am looking to install a double USB charging socket. The most convenient position is immediately next to the TV station, which in my van is a pop up type from behind a fixed seat. The TV is wired directly into the 12v wiring system and fused as part of the 'Media ' circuit in the main fuse box. The fuse on the Media circuit is 20A.
Having read up on the USB socket ( a double which supplies a 1A and 2.1A outlet) mention has been made that it should be installed with a 10a fuse.

This is where I get confused. My thoughts are simply to splice into the TVs + and - wires and then let the 20A fuse protect the USB charger as it will now be on the media 12v circuit. Will there be issues around the fuse size? My intention is for the USB charger to charge iPhone on the 1A side and the iPad on the 2.1A side.

Hope someone can help

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Fuses are fitted to protect the cable from overload.. so the 20A fuse is fine.

When you splice in, fit an in-line 5amp fuse to protect the new circuit.

Last edited:
OP
OP
PJGWiltshire

PJGWiltshire

Free Member
Mar 11, 2013
Arundel
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2009
Fuses are fitted to protect the cable from overload.. so the 20A fuse is fine.

When you spice in, fit an in-line 5amp fuse to protect the new circuit.
Many thanks,

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
PJGWiltshire

PJGWiltshire

Free Member
Mar 11, 2013
Arundel
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2009
Wot Jim said....but 10a sounds a bit high for a USB socket drawing a max of 3.1 amps.
I think i would start with a 5amp, if that blows then a 7.5amp, if that blows theres something wrong.
Will do thanks

Oct 20, 2010
Burry Port South Wales
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2003
I have had two twin USB outlets both running with an inline 5 amp fuse with no problems for a year or so, I also fitted a switch to each which stops them being powered and the led on when not in use.
Cheers
Ed

OP
OP
PJGWiltshire

PJGWiltshire

Free Member
Mar 11, 2013
Arundel
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2009
I have had two twin USB outlets both running with an inline 5 amp fuse with no problems for a year or so, I also fitted a switch to each which stops them being powered and the led on when not in use.
Cheers
Ed
Good idea thanks

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Cheers
Ed

Mine has a nice blue LED, which is real handy for navigating to the "loo" at 2am!:D

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Mine has a nice blue LED, which is real handy for navigating to the "loo" at 2am!:D
Why have you got USB sockets fitted in your loo?:whistle:;):)

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
Wot Jim said....but 10a sounds a bit high for a USB socket drawing a max of 3.1 amps.
I think i would start with a 5amp, if that blows then a 7.5amp, if that blows theres something wrong.
3.1 amps appears to be the output amps, the 12v input could well be different depending on the efficiency of the unit. Also on many devices you need to allow for an initial surge.

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
It's the wattage that determines the current draw.
1a at 5v will only be 0.41a at 12v.
P=VxI so Both equate to 5 watts

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
Theoretically correct but that assumes a 100% conversion rate which is unlikely. I was careful to say only that it would be different, because of course I have no idea what circuitry is in use to make the conversion. I would hazard a guess that it will be highly inefficient. Also the initial surge current is unknown. If the advice that comes with the device says 10 amps it may be to allow for this.

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
OP
OP
PJGWiltshire

PJGWiltshire

Free Member
Mar 11, 2013
Arundel
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2009
Indeed, great for everyone input it has been most helpful. I have the USB charger wired up on a 5A fuse, this will be linked to the media wiring circuit which has a 20a fuse. So just need to find a dry spell to wire it all in.

Chrysalis

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 16, 2016
Herts
Funster No
MH
Rapido 890F A Class
Exp
I'm a newbie
I wanted my twin USB charging sockets ( for smart phone and tablet) on each side of the bed so we could both have the devices in easy reach at night ( like we do at home). Our bed is over the "garage" so the panels on the two bedside tables are easily accessible from the garage side. There was already a 12 v socket in the garage fed from the 20A accessory fused outlet in the 12 v fuse box so I diverted this to a new 4-up 12v car type fuse box and wired one of these to the original 12v socket and two others to the two new double USB sockets. The fuses are easily changed in the box, but I have started with 5A ones as I have 11A wiring. The wiring is all concealed in matching trunking in the garage. The scary bit was drilling the 53mm dia holes in the bedside cabinets to install the sockets! I also have the blue LEDs but when not in use these are covered by flaps on the sockets. When in use a small piece of black insulation tape covers them.

Apr 18, 2009
Englishman in Mid Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584, A Class
Exp
Not long enough!
Indeed, great for everyone input it has been most helpful. I have the USB charger wired up on a 5A fuse, this will be linked to the media wiring circuit which has a 20a fuse. So just need to find a dry spell to wire it all in.

Why! is it outside? Or do you have a Swift?:giggler:

Jul 1, 2010
SW Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 588 DL
Exp
Since September 2010
Fitted same twin USB via a switch and a 3 amp fuse which two months on charging an I pad and either a phone or my wife's Samsung tablet at same time often for long periods overnight etc without fuse blowing.
So Richard is quite correct and I would suggest fitting a 3amp but certainly not more than a 5amp.

Last edited:
Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Anyone know what make the sockets in chausson flash 10's are looking at fitting usb's but want them to match

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
Remember that if you take your power from the ‘media’ circuit, you will only be able to charge devices whilst the media function is switched on. You may find another terminal in the vicinity that is permanently live (controlled by the main switch rather than the media one).

Whatever fuse you put into your extension will be to protect the additional wire from being overloaded. In theory, you won’t need a fuse if you use the same thickness of wire but it may be considered good practice to do so. The problem with having more than one fuse in a circuit is that you will not know which one has blown if the circuit goes dead and may not know where it is if it’s somewhere inline and not contained within a common distribution box.

Jul 6, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic A clas
Exp
Since 1990
Expect the OP already knows this, but when the TV is retracted (on a Carthago) a microswitch turns off the 12v power to the TV.
So, will need to spur off prior to the microswitch located at the base of the TV enclosure.

OP
OP
PJGWiltshire

PJGWiltshire

Free Member
Mar 11, 2013
Arundel
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2009
Expect the OP already knows this, but when the TV is retracted (on a Carthago) a microswitch turns off the 12v power to the TV.
So, will need to spur off prior to the microswitch located at the base of the TV enclosure.
I am going all the way back to the main feed where the tv supply is joined to the media circuit. I then will cut into the media supply and fuse from there to the USB charger

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back