Free Member
May 20, 2015
Stand Road Chesterfield
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Since 2010
I normally keep the Motorhome on the drive at the side of the house but I'm thinking of putting the MH in storage when we're not using it and wondered if anyone else uses storage.

Did it affect your insurance premium and, if so, by about how much?

:france::france::france::france:

ianandkath

Free Member
Jun 4, 2015
spain/uk
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
2 years
i keep mine on a secure accredited site and this made the insurance cheaper.

its a cossa(or something) gold site, and i keep it there cos its too big to bring home

it was about £100 cheaper because of this, its still over £500 though.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
What you save on insurance will be more than swallowed up by storage fees ..

In storage it won't have an EHU to keep the batteries in good condition nor can you keep an eye on it.. or do little jobs.

keeping it clean, and the site may not have washing facilities ..

personally I'd hate to have mine in storage...

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Hymie

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 29, 2013
Essex
Funster No
MH
Classic Hymer B564
Exp
Since 1981
£480 a year to store ours at the nearest site to us, Carson gold site, crammed in like sardines, puddles like lakes on the floor after rain and van always covered in cobwebs and leaves.

After 3 years of this we recently visited a cs/cl site and the owner has offered us a parking spot in a locked compound for £150 a year when our term ends at new year.

Insurance will go up by £60, so £270 better off next year.

Hymie

ianandkath

Free Member
Jun 4, 2015
spain/uk
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
2 years

In storage it won't have an EHU to keep the batteries in good condition nor can you keep an eye on it.. or do little jobs.

ours is on hard standing, with ehu post behind and a water tap by the side, so batteries and washing is no problem.

just can't sleep overnight

Nov 6, 2013
S. Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
The usual
Exp
Since the beginning
£480 a year to store ours at the nearest site to us, Carson gold site, crammed in like sardines, puddles like lakes on the floor after rain and van always covered in cobwebs and leaves.

After 3 years of this we recently visited a cs/cl site and the owner has offered us a parking spot in a locked compound for £150 a year when our term ends at new year.

Insurance will go up by £60, so £270 better off next year.

Hymie

Hi. We are in the same compound as you. The only reason we still use the place is that it's just down the road from where we live.
Would be interested to know where you've been offered storage, as we've looked around but have yet to find anywhere local.

The only reason why the site we're in has gold accreditation is because the owner is ex-police and called in favours. In reality, it's not secure at all from three sides - and has no cameras in the actual storage compound.
Anyone can buy a pint at the Green Dragon, walk across the field, and break into as many caravans/MHs as they want - then wander back and finish their pint.

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
CASSOA rated storage sites may lower the insurance premium, and some insurers will insist on it for some vehicles.

However there are perfectly good storage sites that choose not to go for CASSOA accreditation. We currently pay £375 pa for a non-CASSOA storage site that is better than the CASSOA Silver site we previously used, that was further from home. I believe the insurance is about £30 pa more but the fuel saving is substantial - 15 miles as opposed to 50 miles.

We have a solar panel with a split relay charging circuit between the leisure and cab batteries so we can keep our cab battery topped up for 9 months of the year without a problem. Dec - Feb I drive the MH around for a bit about once every month to keep the batteries topped up, or may put it on the EHU at home for a day or two.

We could fit our MH on our front garden (just) but don't want to. It blocks the light into our front room and the neighbour's front room, it would stop us parking our car on the drive, and it's probably less secure at home than it is in the storage compound.

OP
OP
KeithChesterfield

KeithChesterfield

Free Member
May 20, 2015
Stand Road Chesterfield
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Since 2010
Thanks for all the helpful replies.

We have a solar panel that charges both leisure and starter batteries so that's not a problem.

Our MH will fit on the drive at the side of the house, but only just, and it's a pain when we want to do any work between the front and back doors – the wheelie bins can't get past it and having to back it out and park on the road is neither easy or sensible on a regular basis.

The storage site we're hoping to use has good security fencing, CCTV and padlocked gate with security card access but is not a CaSSOA accredited site.

It's around four miles away from us so visiting regularly isn't a problem.

All I really wanted was to know about how much more, or less, it might cost for my insurance – which is due for renewal in October.

Again thanks.

:france::france::france::france:

Easyliving

Free Member
Dec 4, 2012
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011
We keep our van in a Cassoa gold storage site, only £190 per year. Its all hardcore so there is no chance of getting stuck in the mud, a problem we have had with other storage sites.

Also our site has a cleaning service, I had the van washed and waxed for £25 the other day - did a decent job too.

Paul

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
All I really wanted was to know about how much more, or less, it might cost for my insurance – which is due for renewal in October.

now that you have explained that storage is better for you.. .. understood (y)

Some years ago I had an RV in storage near Chelmsford. Being 36 ft it couldn't stay on the drive.. but I hated having to drive to it do anything to it, and when we were getting ready for a trip everything had to be taken by car then loaded.. then coming home, loaded back into the car and taken home. It was just so inconvenient..

When we bought our present van my main criteia was it had to fit on an 8mt long drive.. wouldn't have one in storage again..

I appreciate that some have no choice... but given the choice.. parking at home for me is a must

Last edited:

Adbt

Banned
May 19, 2015
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Approach 740 SE
Exp

Our motorhome storage
24 hrs access , absolutely no need to inform .
16 amp EHU
4 separate code activated security gates
Alarmed
Full washing facility
Indoors with rodent protection
Fully lit
Padlock protected metal barrier to actual storage shed
Electric raised bollard behind third security gates
Electric shutters behind metal barrier
Fully tarmaced and concrete access throughout

Personally I would hate NOT to have mine in storage!

Judybee

Free Member
May 17, 2017
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Exp
I'm a newbie
We are thinking of buying a motorhome, but would need to store it somewhere. Does anyone know if there is an approved list of storage sites?

beltsandbraces

Free Member
Feb 14, 2017
worthing
Funster No
MH
lunar 780
Exp
we keep ours in storage, for one it wont fit on the drive :rolleyes: and secondly as we try and use it every other weekend and live on a main road, we where concerned about the security of the house, bit like leaving a sign outside saying "no one home"

Jan 31, 2016
Halifax
Funster No
MH
A Class Rapido 9097F
Exp
June 2016
We have ours in secure storage 2 miles from where we live. 247 access' good security and saved £100 on insurance premium. Very convenient for us especially as cannot fit mine on drive.

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
Getting better month by month.
Mine is kept on a Military Establishment and when on the phone to Insurers, they asked if my storage area had CCTV and perimeter fencing, I said, yes it did and the reply was - good because that lowers premiums as well.(y) Great, how much do I get off for an Armed Sentry?:) Nothing :(as no one has this - But I do!!;)

Ksagic

Free Member
Feb 21, 2015
Warrington
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance 890i
Exp
Our motorhome storage
24 hrs access , absolutely no need to inform .
16 amp EHU
4 separate code activated security gates
Alarmed
Full washing facility
Indoors with rodent protection
Fully lit
Padlock protected metal barrier to actual storage shed
Electric raised bollard behind third security gates
Electric shutters behind metal barrier
Fully tarmaced and concrete access throughout

Personally I would hate NOT to have mine in storage!

Given the length of MH whilst it would fit on the drive its totally impractical and am now on my 3rd storage facility, having used both CaSSOA and non CaSSOA sites. But would be well interested in the one you are using if you dont mind revealing the address. Thanks

nelly

Free Member
Aug 5, 2009
Sutton on Sea
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8090DF A Class
Exp
Since 2002
We have just moved ours of the storage site it has been on for the last 10 years CMC site at Aswell as we can now have it at home .i informed the insurance and it went down and I got some refund I did think it would be more As Mr Jim says it's great to have it at home as any little jobs are easy done
Neil

Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
How long is a piece of string, so many variables, home postcode v storage site postcode for a start. We cant get our van into the garden, although there is room for it if we could. Prefer not to shout yoo hoo van gone, we are not here to any passing interested party. There is no water provision at the storage and you are not meant to wash the vans, but valeting is allowed, inside and out o_O Not far from home and i visit often when we are not able to get away.

Apr 25, 2012
Near Truro, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Wherever we have lived we have always kept the MH in storage. Three different sites in the past 11 years, one near Leeds, £300 a year, one near Mevagissey, £350 a year, and our current one near Eden Project, £240 a year. On each site the owner lives on site and security has never been a problem. Insurance for our Hymer A class is £338 pa including full European breakdown cover. Yes, if we had room at home I'd rather have it here, but in my experience, storage works fine. Gary

Adbt

Banned
May 19, 2015
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Approach 740 SE
Exp
Given the length of MH whilst it would fit on the drive its totally impractical and am now on my 3rd storage facility, having used both CaSSOA and non CaSSOA sites. But would be well interested in the one you are using if you dont mind revealing the address. Thanks
Drop me a PM please

mjltigger

Free Member
Nov 12, 2014
Trowbridge
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota Max
Exp
When we decided to get the bigger van we moved to storage. Very nearby and probably on our way to most places as one of the main routes out of town .

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back