Vans with French Beds? but not over 6m. (1 Viewer)

Apr 7, 2017
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral Compact
Exp
Since 2012
Need help choosing a van!
Can you help us with any suggestions for what vans are out there with 'French beds' but without going over 6metres in length? Coach built that is.

With a budget of about 30k it'll have to be second hand.
So far I've seen:

Hymer Tramp Classic 574 (2006). 5.99m.Nice but seemingly rare!
Dethleffs Globebus T2 also nice but rare!
Rapido Le Randoneur 709f very nice but probably a bit old? oh and rare!

Any others I could think about?

We are trying to decide on what van to get and quite like the idea of a french bed because it's lower down and easier to get in and out of in the middle of the night than a transverse bed with it's ladder or steps.

We are both in our sixties and although reasonably fit I've noticed it ain't getting any easier as regards getting up several times in the night lol.

We have looked at Adria Twins and Adria coral Compacts and as far as Transverse beds go, we probably could manage but have to say I fancy the idea of a French bed, I reckon it would be easier.

Need fixed bed and fixed dinette, hate rear lounge layouts, like foreign vans with front dinettes.

We've always shared the driving 50/50 with our VW Transporter and my OH wont take kindly to going suddenly from just 5m to over 6m when it comes to maneuvering in tight spots.

The above vans have very similar layouts and would be fine but I can't find one yet and I don't know if there are others I should consider that are also properly winterized
Be interested to hear what you think, thanks.:)

Paul and Kate

LIFE MEMBER
May 1, 2016
Stoke on trent
Funster No
MH
Auto sleeper Warwick
Exp
Since 2015
Oops double post sorry

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Attachments

• DSC_0124.JPG
    DSC_0124.JPG
    51.7 KB · Views: 192
May 8, 2016
silver coast, portugal
Funster No
MH
C Class: Low profile
Exp
Boatie for 20 years
Chausson 515, fixed French bed, FIAT base hard to get in the UK, Ford fairly available, but very pleased with ours

Chausson 514, also good choice

Just under 6M, decent payload (around 800Kg), won loads of awards, see and you'll like

Last edited:

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
Ah, a fixed bed. Excuse my ignorance.
Or rather, an odd shaped fixed bed. Can you get sheets for them or just make do with poor quality English ones?

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
My first van was a 2004 Ace (Swift) Modena with a French Bed at 6.16 metres
They did Ace, Swift & I believe Burstner versions.
For me, it seemed nicely proportioned.
Taken in part-ex for my new Wildax PVC - it's on their site, if you want to take a look.

Aug 14, 2013
DĂ©partement 87
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since about year 2000
What vans are out there with 'French beds' but without going over 6metres in length?

We are both in our sixties and although reasonably fit I've noticed it ain't getting any easier as regards getting up several times in the night lol.

We've always shared the driving 50/50 with our VW Transporter and my OH wont take kindly to going suddenly from just 5m to over 6m when it comes to manoeuvring in tight spots.

The above vans have very similar layouts and would be fine but I can't find one yet and I don't know if there are others I should consider that are also properly winterized
Be interested to hear what you think, thanks.:)

We have a 2006-reg Pilote Aventure P600 (actually listed as 5.99 metres) and have run this since 2013. We are somewhat older than you and don't have any problems getting in and out of bed. The only real storage is under the bed and can be accessed by lifting the bed or via a rear locker door. Although I cannot honestly say it is winterised ( the unheated grey water tank is external) we don't limit our travels to the warmer times, having participated in the New Year celebrations between Tours and Vierzon every year since 2008. So, perhaps another one to think about.

J

May 8, 2016
silver coast, portugal
Funster No
MH
C Class: Low profile
Exp
Boatie for 20 years
Well, we all like what we are familiar with, and you have a much wider range than originally

I wouldn't write off some of these more modern electric drop down beds, they are at normal bed height

I wish you well with your hunting.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Rapido also did the 740F which was a slightly longer version of the 709F, possibly just a touch over 6m, but give a bit more room - we had a 709F for nearly 4 years and it was brilliant but it was a bit tight in the kitchen department, the unit was even smaller than the ones in our panel van conversions! There was also the 741F too.

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
OP
OP
Mark12
Apr 7, 2017
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral Compact
Exp
Since 2012
Chausson 515, fixed French bed, FIAT base hard to get in the UK, Ford fairly available, but very pleased with ours

Chausson 514, also good choice

Just under 6M, decent payload (around 800Kg), won loads of awards, see and you'll like

Thanks Pyro, I'll look at those.

OP
OP
Mark12
Apr 7, 2017
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral Compact
Exp
Since 2012

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
Thanks for that, I'll take a look, not sure we'd get on with drop down bed. Puts the dining area out of bounds until both out of bed.
Love the Rapido 741, just a tad long though.

Are you stuck on length because of where you are going to park it?

mjltigger

Free Member
Nov 12, 2014
Trowbridge
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota Max
Exp
Ah, a fixed bed. Excuse my ignorance.
Or rather, an odd shaped fixed bed. Can you get sheets for them or just make do with poor quality English ones?
We have bought ordinary domestic bedding for our french bed. So far all good...

Mind you, we've only had it a couple of weeks and managed one night so far.

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
Have a look out for a Chausson Flash S2, manufactured in 2010 and 2011. We had one from new for five years and thought it was a cracking van - just like a 'tardis' inside. 5.99m long, huge bathroom/shower across the back and great storage. Fixed French bed had a very clever twist - the foot of the bed folded up to become the dinette backrest! Bedding just folded over in one second and the backrest lifted and adjusted to any angle (like a cab seat) in 2 seconds!! (y) Travelled over much of the Continent in it. Should be well within your budget now if you can find one.

https://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/m...hausson-flash-s2-2011-motorhome-review/898948

https://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/m...hausson-flash-s2-2010-motorhome-review/899158

Just google for more images.

We had a Rapido 709F before that, which was indeed good but bijou.

Now have a 6.36m panel van conversion with fixed twin single beds in the back - Rapido V68.

Kingham

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 20, 2016
Kirkcudbright, D&G
Funster No
MH
AS Kingham 2017
Exp
Since 2009
........Can you get sheets for them or just make do with poor quality English ones?

I eventually got sick of normal bedding moving around and rumpling up every night in my caravan, which was the first French bed I'd experienced. The overhang of surplus duvet used to drag the duvet down during the night and got in the way a bit during the day, so ended up getting specific 'tapered' bedding from Jonic.

Before I took delivery of my Kingham, I had already taken delivery of a 'tapered' mattress protector, fitted sheet, duvet and duvet cover from Jonic. They're not cheap, but they haven't moved in 20 nights of use.

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
Can you get sheets for them or just make do with poor quality English ones?
'tapered' mattress protector, fitted sheet, duvet and duvet cover from Jonic. They're not cheap, but they haven't moved in 20 nights of use.
I was going to say that!
Having sold the French bedded van, I now have a left-over Jonic mattress protector and fitted sheet.

OP
OP
Mark12
Apr 7, 2017
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral Compact
Exp
Since 2012
Are you stuck on length because of where you are going to park it?

Hi, yes, that is one of the reasons. I've got to reverse it off a narrow road and it's tight through the gate with cars mostly parked opposite, not easy.
I'd have to say though, that also we just didn't want to lose that flexibility we've always had, getting in and around back streets, car parks, village streets, very twisty narrow alpine passes etc. There's only two of us and I'm sure we can manage with 6m.
Previous van was a hi top VW T5 and we usually do 3 month trips so I think it could feel a bit large for us to go over 6m.
Also cheaper on ferries although that's not a real stopper is it.
We could end up going from really enjoying the driving to simply tolerating the driving.
OH won't thank me for that.

OP
OP
Mark12
Apr 7, 2017
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral Compact
Exp
Since 2012
Also Chausson 510 or 10 is worth a look. Great layout and drop down bed.

Cheers. I just looked at at picture of one, showing french bed and also drop down. Do you have to have the drop down bed or can you just have it with the rear french bed.

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
In many respects it is the width of van rather than length that determines how easy it is to negotiate small villages and narrow lanes. A standard width coachbuilt is typically about 230cm wide (it is possible to get narrower ones these days), whereas a Fiat/Peugeot/Citroen van conversion is 205cm, so a foot narrower - it makes a big difference, in my opinion! Not to mention the long-arm rear-view mirrors which provide good visibility, but stick out so far beyond the bodywork. We 'managed' OK with the width of our coachbuilt, but find driving much more enjoyable and relaxing now we have PVC, even though it is a tad longer than the old van.

Jun 16, 2013
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Hymer CL 554
Exp
Since May 2014
Cheers. I just looked at at picture of one, showing french bed and also drop down. Do you have to have the drop down bed or can you just have it with the rear french bed.

These ones don't have the French bed just the drop down. I think the lounge would be very small with a French bed in a 6m van. The drop down goes all the way down. However even though we loved the layout the bed was temperamental. We have a 7 m van with a French bed and large lounge. We don't notice the extra metre when driving or parking.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
As @mikebeaches says, it's the width that will cause you mor issues than a little bit extra length, one of the reasons we down 'widthed' when we got our first PVC back in 2012, 6m long but only 2.05 wide, after having a 6m but 2.3m wide coachbuilt it was much more relaxing driving for my hubby and also for being able to get to places that the wider one would NOT have gone. Now we've still got a PVC but slightly longer at 6.36m, the extra foot of length hasn't made much difference other than we have a longer wheelbase so a slightly larger turning circle, the width is the same so we've been able to get to all those lovely little out of the way places that a standard width coachbuilt would haven't been able to.

I'd have a serious think about exactly HOW you want to use it first as this will determine how 'wide' you can realistically go and still do what you want ... there are French bed PVCs in 6m and 6.36m lengths made by various manufacturers so there is still some choice.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back