What are the risks of a vehicle being cloned? (1 Viewer)

neilmac

Free Member
Nov 24, 2008
UK, France & Spain
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
2nd year
Prompted by a recent thread (elsewhere) regarding private registrations and comments regarding possible cloning of them, I wondered if anyone actually knows what the possible consequences are for someone who becomes a victim of this.

Often photographs are displayed on the internet of owners' vehicles and some go to lengths to obscure the number plates, presumably to minimise the risk of being cloned? Surely if someone wishes to clone a registration they can spot a suitable vehicle in the street anyway.

I can imagine that the proper owner of a vehicle may receive speeding/parking fines relating to a cloned vehicle but I also imagine that the proper owner may well be able to prove they were elsewhere at the time of the offence(s).

So what are the real dangers to the vehicle owner?

Dec 23, 2007
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Hobby Van Kenobi
Exp
started when I was 11 with my parents-forgot to stop!been real one since 1980!
Cloning usually refers to stolen vehicles. The theif will look for a similar model and take its reg. This may be more difficult now due to the fact that you now have to produce proof of ownership before a factors will supply a plate. But there are unscrupulous and dishonest people still. However the majority of this is mainly aimed at saloon cars etc. It happened to my pal.He was forever receiving notices of camera speeding from places he had never heard. Only by producing his work diary and a copy of a ferry ticket to prove he wasn't even in the country at the time of some of the offences,did he get believed.
Now they are less subtle,they just try and yank the plates off the original vehicle.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I received a penalty notice from London a few years ago for driving in a bus lane. It was complete with a nice photo showing my registration - on a Renault Clio.

I told them that if they were doing their job properly they would have realised it wasn't my Citroen Berlingo and that they should have checked the records properly before using my personal data (keeper details) illegally. The notice was canceled :Smile:

I understand they do now check the vehicle type so that should cut down on cases such as mine.

Graham

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

John H

Free Member
Sep 2, 2009
Anglesey
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
3rd year
I had my fireblade cloned, it was a nightmare. I took the bike to the Ulster grand prix, as I knew a lot of the riders I was able to park my bike in the paddock area, whilst it was there someone took chasis , engine and registration numbers and as I later found out cloned six other fireblades. the guys who cloned the bike were a large gang of well organised criminals. the first I new of it was when I received a phonecall from the Garda shortly followed by the local police turning up at my house, it appears "my" bike had been used in a "hit" on another criminal. I was very lucky to have proof of where I was at the time of the hit. I had forensics teams all over my bike and house trying to prove it was me, I was treated like a criminal. even after I had proved it wasnt me I kept getting speeding tickets and even lost my no claims as my insurance paid out on a claim without even contacting me!!!! that was the final straw and I sold the bike after having fireblades since they first came out in 92:cry:never bought another one, but keep thinking I will one day.

John

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
The onus for this was always on the registered and legal person to prove their innocence, rather than anything else. Problems really started when he couldn't. I spose that's the snag when they can decide a case on the balance of probability rather than black and white evidence - and they also see people who did speed or whatever on the internet where others suggest they should say this or say that to try and worm their way out of it.

What ever happened to 'Oh dash it all! - it's a fair cop, guv' - pay the fine and look happy?

(Please don't answer that, it was one of them there rhetorical questions!)

I hope there is a way of checking now, because it's lot of hassle for poor old the innocent party.

OP
OP
neilmac

neilmac

Free Member
Nov 24, 2008
UK, France & Spain
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
2nd year
Some good information - thanks :thumb:

John H's experience does indeed sound like an absolute nightmare!! I suppose a bike is more vulnerable to having more information, chassis number etc, available for the villains to copy. I can certainly see the reasons to obscure motorcycle ID where possible.

ginge61

Free Member
Oct 29, 2007
n/wales
Funster No
MH
c class/t25 vw
Exp
since noah was a lad lol
your always guilty till proven inocent well it is that way now :Angry:

John H

Free Member
Sep 2, 2009
Anglesey
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
3rd year
Some good information - thanks :thumb:

John H's experience does indeed sound like an absolute nightmare!! I suppose a bike is more vulnerable to having more information, chassis number etc, available for the villains to copy. I can certainly see the reasons to obscure motorcycle ID where possible.

the problem is that a lot of cars now have the chasis number on the top of the dashboard and it can be seen through the windscreen:Doh:not sure if they do this with motor homes.

John

Sep 27, 2007
Shropshire based
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
started in 2001
Yes, motorhomes do get cloned, as we well know.

When in Spain, last February 09, our local police (UK) contacted us, as they had recieved an allegation through the FBU, (foriegn bureau unit) that a motorhome with our registeration number had caused damage to a motorcar, costing €xxx to repair, in JUNE 08. The allegation went on to describe the motorhome and its driver.

This call came at about 9pm, and I was interviewed over the phone, and at the end of it, it was apparent it was a scam, as all other details of the rig and myself did not match.

The following night, another call from UK, stating they were responding to the FBU and they did not think we would hear anything further....fine.

Later in our stay, another call, someone was insisting on a formal statement, so we agreed to contact the station on our return to the UK, to make the formal statement, and have the rig inspected for accidient damage.

On our return to UK April 09 we contacted our insurers legal team, as we thought they should now be aware, they admitted this is a major problem with motorhomes!!!

When we eventually made the statement, we also presented our insurance details, mot cert. etc. Our interviewer, saw left the room and when he returned said, "you have't put any claim in for any repairs"....the statement was made, concluding with the fact that we were inspected by UK border control on our return, and he made a point of including that fact in the statement!! He also said a physical inspection wes not necessary.

We still have not been advised that this allegation has been closed, or is still ongoing, all our police can say is they do not think we will hear any more about it. If I were making this allegation, I would have to do it within 6 months, the French, they can take as long as they wish.

So, if in France (or any other country) ensure you have some form of proof of your wereabouts....it could save you some late night phone calls.

We have since met another couple, who had a similar experience here in the UK, they apparently knocked a cyclists of his mount. What the cycilists did not know, was the fact that the motorhome was been followed by Mrs motorhome driving their tow car.

Nomadic

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back