Can't get Astra 28, but can most others? (1 Viewer)

Dereckerick

Free Member
Jul 14, 2009
Merseyside
Funster No
Exp
Hi Guys

Ive been having trouble picking up Astra 28.

It started in Southern France, i thought this was just down to the location, however, whilst over there we got robbed and all of the TV and other eqpt got stolen!

I got all of the new bits through recently and now i can't pick up Astra 28, ive tried in Stoke and Merseyside.

I can get all of the other satellites but Astra 28 will only go to 82%.

I have a Globesat crank up.

Any thoughts??

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
hi Nick,

have a look in the receivers onscreen menu and set astra 2d to default.

might work.

i cant usually get anywhere near 82%....around 70% is norm for me and it seems to work fine.

or is that quality and not strength !!!! :Doh::bigsmile:unno, cant remember.

OP
OP
Dereckerick

Dereckerick

Free Member
Jul 14, 2009
Merseyside
Funster No
Exp
hi Nick,

have a look in the receivers onscreen menu and set astra 2d to default.

might work.

i cant usually get anywhere near 82%....around 70% is norm for me and it seems to work fine.

or is that quality and not strength !!!! :Doh::bigsmile:unno, cant remember.

I cant!

Its the important one i cant get the good signal on, all of the other satellites are good i just don't seem to be able to get that extra couple of % to get it to change to the magical green coloured bar thingy, no matter how much fettling i do!!

Plenty of dodgey premium call rate channels though!

Ive not been on here for quite some time, i may do a bit of a report on my first trip over to France and Spain. Including the robbery and some tips to avoid such incidents. Obvious after the event, but worth while passing on.

A scouser robbed, how embarrasing!! :cry:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

lunarman

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2008
South Glos
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1994
I agree with Papajohn. I have a globesat manual dish and get between 70 and 80% strength and sometimes lower quality and have no trouble recieving programs.

What digibox are you using?

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
i wouldnt worry too much....wont be around much longer.
check the launch date and lifetime...top and bottom lines. :ROFLMAO:

anyway,
you should be able to select the onscreen menu without finding a satellite.

then make astra 2 the default sat.

are you using a sat finder or relying on the inbuilt screecher/strength meter ?

Attachments

• ASTRA (Large).jpg
    ASTRA (Large).jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 35
OP
OP
Dereckerick

Dereckerick

Free Member
Jul 14, 2009
Merseyside
Funster No
Exp
The receiver I am using is Link Removed

Ive just been out to check, its the singnal intesnity that is not reaching over 75/80% and it needs to be over 90% to "connect"?

Ive been using a sat finder, as i say i can connect to al of the other satellites, just not Astra2.

Last edited:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
The receiver I am using is Link Removed

Ive just been out to check, its the singnal intesnity that is not reaching over 75/80% and it needs to be over 90% to "connect"?

Ive been using a sat finder, as i say i can connect to al of the other satellites, just not Astra2.

sounds to me like its not quite aligned with the satellite.
its got the signal but a fraction out and it wont get it fully.

or possibly just plain faulty !

from your link....

The following satellites have been preset:
  • Astra2 28E (For UK Freesat/Free Sky)
so all the parameters will be correct.

lunarman

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2008
South Glos
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1994
Thats the same one as I have. Have you tried using the inbuilt finder using bbc1 or sky as the programme to align it with?

OP
OP
Dereckerick

Dereckerick

Free Member
Jul 14, 2009
Merseyside
Funster No
Exp
sounds to me like its not quite aligned with the satellite.
its got the signal but a fraction out and it wont get it fully.

or possibly just plain faulty !

from your link....

The following satellites have been preset:
  • Astra2 28E (For UK Freesat/Free Sky)
so all the parameters will be correct.

The day I installed the dish i managed to get the signal, and from then i I haven't got it. So i think i will go to my mams where I fitted it and see if its something to do with a possible obstruction where i live. Its one one side of a hill, there are a couple of trees but they don't seem to be in the way, he says!!!?

When i tried it in Stoke i was 50 yards from the main north/south rail link and there were a number of overhead cables nearby that may have had an effect. That was the night ear plugs got used! And the south of France, well, it was the south of France!

OP
OP
Dereckerick

Dereckerick

Free Member
Jul 14, 2009
Merseyside
Funster No
Exp
Thats the same one as I have. Have you tried using the inbuilt finder using bbc1 or sky as the programme to align it with?

Don't you have to get the bar on the TP scan screen to go green before it will search and find any channels?

lunarman

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2008
South Glos
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1994
what is a tp scan screen? I just switch it on select bbc1 select the finder switch on the tone and turn the dish until I find the sat. Works fof me usually within 3 mins.

OP
OP
Dereckerick

Dereckerick

Free Member
Jul 14, 2009
Merseyside
Funster No
Exp
what is a tp scan screen? I just switch it on select bbc1 select the finder switch on the tone and turn the dish until I find the sat. Works fof me usually within 3 mins.

Ive just done what you usually do, what a nice time saver!!

I've managed to get some channels on Astra28 however not the UK channels, plenty of Arabic though.

I'm hoping that its the top of some trees ostructing the signal.

Thanks for the tips.

God i make things complicated for myself sometimes!!!!!:Doh:

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
Ive just done what you usually do, what a nice time saver!!

I've managed to get some channels on Astra28 however not the UK channels, plenty of Arabic though.

I'm hoping that its the top of some trees ostructing the signal.

Thanks for the tips.

God i make things complicated for myself sometimes!!!!!:Doh:

Derek.... calm down........
If you have a separate sat finder connect in line, close to your receiver and leave it there (I do always) do all this with power OFF to the receiver, when that's done turn your television on and the receiver on and the sat finder on, so it is just making a noise(whistle/buzz) get you remote control
Make sure your satellite receiver is on green at the front.......
On the remote near the top press the services button......then on the screen setup press 4 system setup.........
Then on screen press 6 system test....
Now what you do is turn your dish round VERY VERY slowly hoping you have it at the correct angle (if not you will have do that later if no signal).........
What you want up on screen is TRANSPORT STREAM box.......... 07d4.......
NETWORK ID box.....0002 .....
LOCK INDICATOR......OK.....
turn your dish untill you get all this above
Then in your signal Quality box and your Signal strength two grey bands will appear when you tune into the satellite astra 2 ...28deg......
If you get all that info correct in the boxes and anything above 55% of the grey bands showing lock off the dish and then press the big blue SKY button on top of the remote to take you back to main screen.....you do not have to be tuned into sat to start the process (the more of the grey bands showing you will get a better picture) also while you are doing this your sat finder will increase and decrease in noise volume the louder the signal and the further the meter goes over the closer you are to being in line with a satellite you just have to find the correct one.....you may find it easier to start pointing east and working south but it is so minute you can go past without knowing so take it slow when you have been around two or three times with no luck just alter your angle and try again....up or down...

Good luck :thumb::thumb:

this is the sat finder I was talking about

Link Removed

and then will you need a small link cable with two "F" plugs on, one on either end,
on the sat finder it will tell which connection to plug in which socket, either from your LNB DISH...or your receiver

Mel

Last edited:

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
Derek.... calm down........
If you have a separate sat finder connect in line, close to your receiver and leave it there (I do always) do all this with power OFF to the receiver, when that's done turn your television on and the receiver on and the sat finder on, so it is just making a noise(whistle/buzz) get you remote control
Make sure your satellite receiver is on green at the front.......
On the remote near the top press the services button......then on the screen setup press 4 system setup.........
Then on screen press 6 system test....
Now what you do is turn your dish round VERY VERY slowly hoping you have it at the correct angle (if not you will have do that later if no signal).........
What you want up on screen is TRANSPORT STREAM box.......... 07d4.......
NETWORK ID box.....0002 .....
LOCK INDICATOR......OK.....
turn your dish untill you get all this above
Then in your signal Quality box and your Signal strength two grey bands will appear when you tune into the satellite astra 2 ...28deg......
If you get all that info correct in the boxes and anything above 55% of the grey bands showing lock off the dish and then press the big blue SKY button on top of the remote to take you back to main screen.....you do not have to be tuned into sat to start the process (the more of the grey bands showing you will get a better picture) also while you are doing this your sat finder will increase and decrease in noise volume the louder the signal and the further the meter goes over the closer you are to being in line with a satellite you just have to find the correct one.....you may find it easier to start pointing east and working south but it is so minute you can go past without knowing so take it slow when you have been around two or three times with no luck just alter your angle and try again....up or down...

Good luck :thumb::thumb:

this is the sat finder I was talking about

Link Removed

and then will you need a small link cable with two "F" plugs on, one on either end,
on the sat finder it will tell which connection to plug in which socket, either from your LNB DISH...or your receiver

Mel

Derek let me know how you get on with setting the dish up........Mel :thumb:

Satandpcguy

Funster
Jun 18, 2008
Gandia, Valencia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
None
:

Arabic channels are not, generlaly, broadcast on Astra 2 at 28 east.
There are many arabic channels on Badr / Arabsat at 26 east, or even astra 1 or hotbird.
So sounds like you have aligned to the wrong satellite.....

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
Arabic channels are not, generlaly, broadcast on Astra 2 at 28 east.
There are many arabic channels on Badr / Arabsat at 26 east, or even astra 1 or hotbird.
So sounds like you have aligned to the wrong satellite.....

I totaly agree with Satandpcguy.....wrong satelite.........................doing it the way I have said and get the information on screen as I have described it you will be on the correct satelite.........................Mel :thumb:

Satandpcguy

Funster
Jun 18, 2008
Gandia, Valencia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
None
I totaly agree with Satandpcguy.....wrong satelite.........................doing it the way I have said and get the information on screen as I have described it you will be on the correct satelite.........................Mel :thumb:

problem is that he is not using a Sky receiver so he will not be able to access the screens you say:
"The receiver I am using is http://www.satgear.co.uk/comag_satel..._sl30-12v.html"
which is an issue with the simple satellite "beepers" as they dont tell you want satellite you are on.

If you have preprogrammed channels in your box, go to Sky News - it should be on frequency 12207 V - its been on that frequency for ages so should be in there - and align your dish until you get a picture.

If you dont have SKy news preprogramemd into your channels list then its a question of move dish, scan frequency, see if sky news appears, if not move dish and rescan until sky news appears. Tedious but required.

Last edited:

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
problem is that he is not using a Sky receiver so he will not be able to access the screens you say:

which is an issue with the simple satellite "beepers" as they dont tell you want satellite you are on.

If you have preprogrammed channels in your box, go to Sky News - it should be on frequency 12207 V - its been on that frequency for ages so should be in there - and align your dish until you get a picture.

If you dont have SKy news preprogramemd into your channels list then its a question of move dish, scan frequency, see if sky news appears, if not move dish and rescan until sky news appears. Tedious but required.

Ah sorry did not know he was noy useing a sky receiver......................Mel:thumb:

OP
OP
Dereckerick

Dereckerick

Free Member
Jul 14, 2009
Merseyside
Funster No
Exp
Ive tried all of the ways suggested, still no joy.

Since ive had this receiver i've not picked up Astra28, however i do still have my old 240V receiver that i used a couple of weeks ago on a fixed dish and all of the Astra 28 channels were fine. So, my next plan is to test this old receiver as this will rule out any potential problems with my dish and cables.

Thanks for all of the advise guys and gals...

OP
OP
Dereckerick

Dereckerick

Free Member
Jul 14, 2009
Merseyside
Funster No
Exp
Just a quick update for those bothered ;)

I fired up the genny and changed the 12v receiver for the 240V.

Had a bit of fiddling but managed to get Astra28 within a few mins.

So, i then left the dish in position and pluged the 12volt back in.

It worked, god knows why or how but it did.

Im guessing i had the dish at an incorrect vertical angle.....:Doh::ROFLMAO:

I'm glad that ive sorted it, and at least i know that its purely down to me being daft and not the cables etc ive fitted.

I have picked up a few good tips and learned a couple of things along the way so not all bad...

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
i know how frustrating these little setbacks can be Nick.

a couple of times now my Zhenda receiver has taken it upon itself to default to Hotbird for no reason.

the sat finder was finding a strong astra 2 but the reciever was trying to get programs from Hotbird...if that makes sense !

took me a long time onsite to sort it the first time....including a full rescan which lost all my sorted favorites and skipped channels.

that took even longer to reset....having to skip and then sort/swap channels to keep them all together.
nothing worse than trawling through the onscreen prog guide trying to find the channel i want.

OP
OP
Dereckerick

Dereckerick

Free Member
Jul 14, 2009
Merseyside
Funster No
Exp
I'm thinking of the words to describe what I feel like...

A bread type cake
Can be filled with jam
Can have a hole in

Ah yes.... A DOUGHNUT!!! :winky:

Im just so glad i got there in the end, I've never been so pleased to see countdown since Carol left...ah Carol...

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back