reversing a small trailer problems (1 Viewer)

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
You may or you may not have seen this trailer...but some may be interested

Anybody knows that has driven with trailers the smaller the trailer the harder to reverse...meaning if you had long trailer like a artic trailer unit with the wheels at the rear it is far easier than a small 3' square camping trailer that you can not see that keeps jack-knifing.....well I was reading my French motorhome magazine and came across this unit....no web site but did find a u-tube film.....it won first prize 2008 innovation award
what it does it makes the trailer semi rigid unit going forwards and backwards but does allow movement up and down on the road the rear wheel is in fact a large Jockey wheel with suspension ideal for scooters and motor bikes it also looks adjustable for different size machines.......so funsters that have trouble reversing the small trailer and do not have a rear camera it could be ideal. It is the wheel that moves not the trailer around the corners...it has two tow hitches

Its called the Bi-Jockey in the magazine and in the film a Bi-Jokey

Mel........:thumb::thumb: what do you think

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MqrgUYmbHO4&feature=player_embedded[/ame]

Last edited:

AuldCodger

Free Member
Nov 25, 2009
?
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
I have often thought about a similar idea, well maybe I should have done something about it and made my fortune.
Providing the manufacture is of quality I reckon it could be a winner, although you would want to have the trailer as short as possible as all you are doing is increasing the o.a. length of your rig.
:Smile::thumb:

OP
OP
Heyupluv

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
I have often thought about a similar idea, well maybe I should have done something about it and made my fortune.
Providing the manufacture is of quality I reckon it could be a winner, although you would want to have the trailer as short as possible as all you are doing is increasing the o.a. length of your rig.
:Smile::thumb:

Its a shame did'nt, as many good idea's,are simple just think now where you could have been now....

its simple but good

Mel:thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
its certainly not unique.
there was a company in the uk making a similar thing but with two castor wheels.
last i heard he gave up on the concept and the company altogether.
cant find any reference to it on the web.

too many bad reports.
very expensive as well. i seem to recall around £1600.

to hitch it to the towbar required two 50mm balls set some distance apart.

OP
OP
Heyupluv

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
The email address for the BI-JOCKEY TRAILER is cdeloubes@terre-net.fr

Telephone is 06 86 97 09 90 France 0033

Address 8 quartier Miselle - 33210 PREIGNAC

Mel :thumb:

OP
OP
Heyupluv

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
there was a company in the uk making a similar thing but with two castor wheels.

too many bad reports.

John ....I should imagine that trailer will be expensive being over here in France....
Mel:Eeek:

OP
OP
Heyupluv

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
And here is one from the same person with two wheels John

Link Removed

Mel :thumb:

OP
OP
Heyupluv

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
The tow bar

Link Removed

3750.00 for the two wheels

and

2350.00 for the single wheel............phew thats expensive

Mel

Last edited:

froghopper

Free Member
Nov 29, 2009
winchester
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
before they were invented
bike thingy

well thanks very much,, that looks great,, i used to carry a 125 bike on a rack, still to haevy, still to much up and down movement on chassis,,, have a big bike 850cc cant put that on a rack,, so its a trailer,, and all the problems,, i e, lane 3, speed limit, ferry, and storage,, this looks perfect,,, o k, whats the catch,, is it a trailer, what is the nose weight on tow ball, insurance,, i am realy serious ,, i would like to know,, any help or advice , yes please,,,
you say its french,,,,, oooooooohh, so was the c 15, dare i say more, was realy into this,,,, then ,, its french,,,, i love the bread,, and the cakes,,, but this is technicalll,,

i want one,, i know of others who would want one,,,, but its still french,,,, help please:Sad::Sad::Sad::Sad:

OP
OP
Heyupluv

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
who's idea was it in the first place Mmmmmmmmm I wonder

OP
OP
Heyupluv

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
well thanks very much,, that looks great,, i used to carry a 125 bike on a rack, still to haevy, still to much up and down movement on chassis,,, have a big bike 850cc cant put that on a rack,, so its a trailer,, and all the problems,, i e, lane 3, speed limit, ferry, and storage,, this looks perfect,,, o k, whats the catch,, is it a trailer, what is the nose weight on tow ball, insurance,, i am realy serious ,, i would like to know,, any help or advice , yes please,,,
you say its french,,,,, oooooooohh, so was the c 15, dare i say more, was realy into this,,,, then ,, its french,,,, i love the bread,, and the cakes,,, but this is technicalll,,

i want one,, i know of others who would want one,,,, but its still french,,,, help please:Sad::Sad::Sad::Sad:

I have just found out the price....bloo-y h-ll.. buying french would not put me off just the price...I HAVE PUT THE DETAILS UP FOR YOU.....BUT JOHN pappajohn said one was made in England tyr to google?

Last edited:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
what is the nose weight on tow ball,

i would say, because the wheels are at the back of the trailer it stands to reason the hitch weight will be 50% of the trailers gross weight.
the trailer looks substancial plus the bikes weight, it may weigh upwards of 250>300kg with a large bike.
so 150kg nose weight over the two balls....thats a large chunk of payload.

a rule of thumb is 7% of the trailers gross is a good nose weight. (from memory as a tugger)

Landy lover

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2009
Zummerzet
Funster No
MH
27ft Eurolight
Exp
Camping Caravaning now 5'ering 49 years

too many bad reports.

Your spot on there Papajohn - I remember it well although I dont think the original one used 50mm balls I think it was horizontal pins - back then no one really worried about nose weight - I think from memory the problem was high price and a very low carrying capacity.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Your spot on there Papajohn - I remember it well although I dont think the original one used 50mm balls I think it was horizontal pins - back then no one really worried about nose weight - I think from memory the problem was high price and a very low carrying capacity.

not that long ago.
they were at stratford last year and possibly malvern as well.
and yes, i seem to remember the payload was pretty low.
i beleive your right about the fixings too.

Landy lover

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2009
Zummerzet
Funster No
MH
27ft Eurolight
Exp
Camping Caravaning now 5'ering 49 years
not that long ago.
they were at stratford last year and possibly malvern as well.
and yes, i seem to remember the payload was pretty low.
i beleive your right about the fixings too.

The ones I am thinking of were about 40 years ago so the idea has been around a fair while - I guess with a single caster type wheel the possibilities in suspension are faily limited

Ant&Debs

Free Member
Jun 24, 2009
Alvorge,Portugal
Funster No
MH
Rockwood Fiver
Exp
2 years long time ago
Found a usa site www.discount-trailers.com they have various trailers for motorcycles/atv etc The trailer shown on earlier posts seems to be a called a swivel wheel motorcycle trailer.

Ant & Debs:Smile:

Aug 9, 2008
Lanner - Cornwall
Funster No
MH
A Class RV
Exp
20 + Years
Is it legal??

Just as a matter of interest,

Overhang behind rear wheels should not exceed half the distance between the two axles, for the obvious reason that as you turn your rear end will go across the other carriageway, or pavement depending which way you turn.

Surely this devce will do just that because of the lack of sideways movement, looking at the U-Tube video the vehicle comes well into that category.

So as its fixed is it a trailer or part of the vehicle ????????

I think the idea of the jockey wheel is good but needs more thought.

Jan 19, 2008
Wetherby
Funster No
MH
Weinsberg Carcompact
Exp
UK supplier

You can try CMF engineering (www.cmf-engineering.com) they sell one with dual wheels and are UK based.
Deno

Edited - Sorry looked into it further and they have a sideways mounted trailer but not with the swivelling wheels.

Last edited:

Kon tiki

Free Member
Oct 11, 2007
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Low Line
Exp
20+
I saw the side mounted one at one of the shows, this one had 2 castor wheels & as said two pins to hold it on the the van. Looked well made but I seem to recall it being very expensive.

OP
OP
Heyupluv

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+

Hi Froghopper.....little bits of info has been put on the thread...one came from Ant & Debs...about the swivel wheel see below

Link Removed

Maybe if they have been around for a long time and made in many countries, you could make one yourself or have one made without treading on any patents.......it has got be lot cheaper than those two trailers.....also some info has come from Pappajohn and Maubri that might be helpful for you..with the towing issue....so you could look more into it.....I wish you luck I think it is a good idea and being on tow balls must be better than pins...

Mel

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
The tow bar
Link Removed
3750.00 for the two wheels
and
2350.00 for the single wheel............phew thats expensive
Mel

The design looks brilliant, the price ridiculous so why not ask one of the UK makers to price a copy ?

Any decent DIYer could build one, it's only two hinges and a castor wheel, isn't it ?

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
because the wheels are at the back of the trailer it stands to reason the hitch weight will be 50% of the trailers gross weight.

Doesn't have to be.

If you sit the bike over the jockey wheel there is zero bike weight on the MH. And so on, as you move the bike nearer and nearer to the MH right up to 99% of the bike on the MH.

With a single jockey wheel and bike close to it there are some "interesting" twisting forces as you bump and corner. Maybe that's why the mega expensive UK one had a pair of jockey wheels.

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Hi the guy who was showing a similar one at Stratford last year, posted on here I believe, that he had been diagnosed with a serious illness, and I don't think has posted since.

Geo reckoned that "Easylifter" who make that hydraulic one you load your bike on and pump up, where going to build one.

Olley

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Overhang behind rear wheels should not exceed half the distance between the two axles, for the obvious reason that as you turn your rear end will go across the other carriageway, or pavement depending which way you turn.

I think the idea of the jockey wheel is good but needs more thought.

Oh what a shame. Now we know why there aren't dozens of them.

Can you image the carnage in a tightly packed town :Smile:

OP
OP
Heyupluv

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
The design looks brilliant, the price ridiculous so why not ask one of the UK makers to price a copy ?

Any decent DIYer could build one, it's only two hinges and a castor wheel, isn't it ?

I agree with you Brian.........Mel:thumb:

OP
OP
Heyupluv

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
Doesn't have to be.

If you sit the bike over the jockey wheel there is zero bike weight on the MH. And so on, as you move the bike nearer and nearer to the MH right up to 99% of the bike on the MH.

With a single jockey wheel and bike close to it there are some "interesting" twisting forces as you bump and corner. Maybe that's why the mega expensive UK one had a pair of jockey wheels.

I think the two wheels is the better option.........Mel:thumb:

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
I think I could build one (prototype) in a weekend:Eeek:
BUT its the wheel assembly that causes concern:RollEyes:
I think to be safe and functional it may have to be Aircraft nose wheel quality Hence£££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££:Doh:
Geo

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
So, for the technically challenged (ie me) let's just recap.

We don't know that we can get round an actual corner or anything greater than a very gentle arc backwards, do we

So if not, would we have to unload the trailer, unhitch it, move it by hand to the back of our gap on the aire (vans already in situ either side), then couldn't reload it because with the bike on it you wouldn't subsequently have enough space to turn it back cross wise, so you would have to wheel the bike separately before or after, then reverse the van up to whatever space you have left

With the 2 towballs that you can't see anyway at risk - of hitting your v expensive trailer or ditto bike, possibly both if we left the trailer lengthwise but to one side and wheeled the bike to one side of it

- and all without causing a log jam (and consequent driver rage) of other vans wanting to get in to the 3 remaining spaces?

- and without losing your own rag?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back