Saving a website to view offline???? (1 Viewer)

dencol

Free Member
Nov 20, 2007
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper
Hi
Don’t know if this idea is possible (if posted before apology blame my being useless at using the search button) as I have taken early retirement::bigsmile: and started to use the van long term I have decided to take a laptop with me (thinking of a dongle connection but that’s for later)

Whilst at home I am looking at a number of websites for the area I am visiting. I am trying to save these websites so I can view them offline but having difficulty working out how to do it.:Sad:

I have tried ‘save as’ to a folder on the desktop and can save the page I have been looking at online, but when I try to ‘save as’ whole site’, so for example I can view the various pages of the Yorkshire Tourist board site it tells me unable to save full site. :Sad:

Is there any way I can ‘capture’ a website including the different pages from that site without having to open each individual page and save them individually?

I will be using either windows XP or Vista (depends on the laptop I take). Both however run I.E.7

Thanks for any help or thoughts. :thumb:

(It would save me ending up with bags full of leaflets that cut into my wine carrying payload.):roflmto:

colin

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Hi I seem to remember somebody trying to do this with Facts, and it got stamped on very quickly, before he had downloaded much of the site.

Olley

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Hi I seem to remember somebody trying to do this with Facts, and it got stamped on very quickly, before he had downloaded much of the site.
Olley

Now there's a surprise :)

Though to be fair it must put a big strain on the server.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
I use this one:
http://www.httrack.com/
it's free to download.
:Smile:
Keith

I've used something like that for twenty odd years on one specific forum ( CIX ) it works very well and it was particularly good in the 300 baud days.

Does this software allow off line replies and one big upload/download blink ?

This would be excellent for MHers when they can only get patchy connections. Sit outside McGreasy for 10 minutes then go away and spend an hour or two catching up on the messages then back to McGreasy. Not real time, obviously, but better than sitting for ages next to McGreasy with 'er indoors muttering as only 'er indoors can mutter.

HUGE problem is how it builds the initial database. If it tried to download the whole FUN database it would be a pain for all of us and eat up a load of local drive space but if it could just go back a month I think it could be really good for FUNsters on the road.

Don't know what Jim's take on this is of course.

OP
OP
dencol

dencol

Free Member
Nov 20, 2007
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper
Thanks for the links, will give some of them a try, may try the freebie first :thumb:

Only though of downloading some site info re opening times etc for places of interest but now thinking if I downlaod some council site info, I could sit on site composing emails to councils asking why I cannot visit due to height barriers,:Sad: rather than have to wait until I get back home::bigsmile:

Colin

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back