Vicarious Books - No Joke (1 Viewer)

FullTimeDreamer

Free Member
Aug 21, 2009
Funster No
Seems I am not the only one to have suffered from the very poor customer service from this company Vicarious Books that I find so rude its a wonder how they are still in business. There have been Link Removed when they sent a rude email to people.

I have just been reading on another forum that after someone complained that they had been treated badly with a thread entitled Vicarious Books, what a Joke. and the Forum owner was told to remove the remarks after legal threats. :Eeek:

I understand the pressure on Forum owners and will understand if this post has to be deleted,and I apologise in advance, however I do believe that poor customer service should be made public so others are warned what to expect and that business owners are encouraged to improve the way they treat customers :Smile:

Bulletguy

Free Member
Feb 7, 2008
Cheshire/Staffs
Funster No
Seems I am not the only one to have suffered from the very poor customer service from this company Vicarious Books that I find so rude its a wonder how they are still in business. There have been Link Removed when they sent a rude email to people.

I have just been reading on another forum that after someone complained that they had been treated badly with a thread entitled Vicarious Books, what a Joke. and the Forum owner was told to remove the remarks after legal threats. :Eeek:
Simple solution to this is for folk to 'vote with their feet'......but it would seem they are either too timid to do so, or have masochistic tendencies which draws them back year in year out.

You are right....people should be made aware of bad customer service if the complaints are justifiable. If the company concerned doesn't like complaints about them on a forum board.....stick it on newsgroups which reach a far wider circle of people.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
When I made a query I was told by some one who came across as a jumped up little snotnosed girl child that 'if I did not like it I could always go elsewhere.'
I did !!

I had a standing order for the ACSI book, card and CD
Cancelled the CD and intend going elsewhere for the book and card next year

I shall also make a point of visiting one of their stands at a show, accompanied by some one who may be hard of hearing..
I shall look briefly at the wares, look up, and announce to my hard of hearing friend.. Oh no.. not these people.. these are the ones everyone seems to be talking about with the very poor service !!
Of course, as they are hearing challenged ( LOL ) I shall have to speak in a loud voice and quite possibly repeat myself a few times

:Smile: !!!!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
'if I did not like it I could always go elsewhere.'
I did !!
:Smile: !!!!

I'm awaiting the DVD bought direct from the Netherlands. After this year's conduct with the book that too will come direct next year.

I once offered a suggestion on how to improve their not brilliant aires book - just add page numbers to area maps to easily locate the next region. It was like I'd suggested his wife was sleeping with every randy sailor in Portsmouth. They are nothing if not consistant.

Not so brilliant because probably half of the aires was no more than a line naming the town. Some were decent listings with pictures. Then, as far as I remember, at the back a request for more pictures so it was *us* who provided the data FOC. It may be better now but I get the impression off the forum/s the French book is much better.

tonybrightspark

Free Member
Dec 31, 2009
Kent
Funster No
A few weeks ago I popped into the Folkestone shop and picked an ACSI and an Aires de France book and am surprised at the comments on service. I was treated with respect and not bluntly as described, and no I don't work for Vicarious.

tonybrightspark

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
I was treated with respect and not bluntly as described, and no I don't work for Vicarious.

tonybrightspark

Is that the standard telephone/internet effect ? Many people take on a totally different persona when not face to face. Particularly so when in a motorcar.

JayDee

Free Member
Oct 7, 2007
N. Devon
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
7 Years after 5 years with caravan.
Is that the standard telephone/internet effect ? Many people take on a totally different persona when not face to face. Particularly so when in a motorcar.

Hi Brian,
You may have a point there. I have seen all the bad press about Vicarious Books and been somewhat surprised. The couple of times I've talked to them (on the phone) they've been quite reasonable and not at all stroppy. No e-mail communication other than the promotional stuff. There may well be somebody on their team who needs a bit of 'customer interface' training. But if, as you imply (re Aires), they already think they're perfect, it's not likely to happen.

John

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003
Only ever bought one book from them, All the Aires of Spain & Portugal, ordered before we left UK & I forgot to tell Chris where to send it. I emailed him & although he said he couldn't be sure of finding my order he was able to find it & it appeared at the camp site in Spain.

My experience has been good, just to balance the comments.

I did think it was a bit cheeky to ask readers to let him know of any he had missed.

I would think at the rate the Portugese are opening aires it must be difficult to keep up with them.

jacken

Free Member
Dec 9, 2007
kent
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
8 years
I can only speak as I find. I live in the same town as Vicarious and am in the shop quite often and buy many books from them. I have aways had excellent service from them and am always welcomed, even when not buying anything.

ken

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
I have had good and bad service from Vicarious books-

The good- received the book practically straight away,

The Bad- asked for aires to be sent to them with photos if possible. DOne so, (loads missing) not even a thankyou even though I pointed it out at one of the shows. The whole concept of all the aires is excellent, I just wished it would of been thought up by a forum so that people could of added to it along with continual reviews.:winky:

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
We do a range of Camping Site Books, if they are as good as the blurb says, should be a good alternative, must have a read when I am next down at the dealership:Eeek:

Peter

bevo

Free Member
Nov 15, 2008
north west
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
vicarous books

iv'e had nothing but exellent service from these people and will be ordering again for next year.
recieved the 2010 copy on 8th december, great service.
they did send an e mail saying that the books had been sent, and they had made a mistake and sent two copies to some people.
perhaps these were pissed off they had to send the extra copy back or pay twice.

motorhomer

Free Member
May 17, 2008
South Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2005 (but 30 years caravanning)
I too have had nothing but excellent service from Vicarious books. I have bought from them on a number of occasions over the last 3 years, they have always delivered as promised and the books / DVD's I have bought have (in my view) been very good.

I was surprised to hear the reports of poor service and thought it important to highlight that they are certainly not all bad.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
It is so very strange !!
It seems the company def suffers a split personality

I have only ordered on line and spoke on the telephone to them

Whilst delivery was spot on the date expected, every single time I have spoken to them on the telephone I was spoken down to in a very unpleasent way and ( thinking back ) I suspect always the same girl / woman !
There is the point that they may well be suffering cloning.. No, not sci fi or nutty.
You get a girl who knows it all, is stroppy with customers and generally an evil nasty little thing to deal with ( Amazing how often they turn out to be the boss's daughter or similar ! )

The firm takes on new personnel who is then 'shown the ropes' by said nasty bit of work.
They adopt the same attitude and way of speaking to customers, so the problem is perpetuated

Reading the above posts it seems those buying/speaking with 'the man' himself or indeed in person dealings, have nary a problem, those, like me, dealing with telephone staff have nothing but bad experiences and the urge to never use them again !

patr

Free Member
Jul 1, 2008
Mid Wales
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
We have used VB for a number of years and have found them to be very professional and courteous.

Their turnaround time from order to delivery is excellent. When the binding problems with the first "All the Aires" book surfaced they contacted me ( I hadn't noticed any problem), sent a replacement book and asked me to pop the old one in a pre-paid envelope. I have never known a firm to act in such a positive and trustworthy manner.

I thought that was exceptional service and I would not hesitate to use them in the future.
Top firm in my opinion.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
When the binding problems with the first "All the Aires" book surfaced they contacted me ( I hadn't noticed any problem), sent a replacement book and asked me to pop the old one in a pre-paid envelope. I have never known a firm to act in such a positive and trustworthy manner..

That is in contrast to "We know we sent you a second copy so if you don't return it we will take payment for it".

Attitude poor.

Legality poor.

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
I have always had a good service from Vicarious-
-
-
-
-
-
-
--

--
-

--

-
--
-
-
Can I have a discount now ????

wayfarer

Free Member
Sep 27, 2007
Co. Clare. Ireland
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
My experience with Vicarious books online and especially on the phone has not been pleasant to say the least. when I tried to order a book on the phone which I had difficulty with on the site I was treated like a criminal who was trying to buy goods with a stolen credit card even though I have an account with them. If I could source the books elsewhere I would be gone in a flash.

patr

Free Member
Jul 1, 2008
Mid Wales
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Brian

I had not seen the email that you, and others, received and having read it I agree with the stance you have taken....except that I would have superglued the pages and would never use them again.

Plus, were they to remove funds without my permission...suffice to say I know where they operate from.

But, in all of my dealings I have been very impressed and will continue to use them.

Lincolnshire Rover

Free Member
Feb 12, 2009
South Lincolnshire
Funster No
Exp
We have used VB for a number of years and have found them to be very professional and courteous.

Their turnaround time from order to delivery is excellent. When the binding problems with the first "All the Aires" book surfaced they contacted me ( I hadn't noticed any problem), sent a replacement book and asked me to pop the old one in a pre-paid envelope. I have never known a firm to act in such a positive and trustworthy manner.

I thought that was exceptional service and I would not hesitate to use them in the future.
Top firm in my opinion.

This is how I found their service and must say I have been more than satisfied with their products and service and will continue to use them in the future.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
I had not seen the email that you, and others, received and having read it I agree with the stance you have taken....except that I would have superglued the pages and would never

But, in all of my dealings I have been very impressed and will continue to use them.

:roflmto: naughty but nice thought.

I think what really pissed me off - post arrives, "Oh the prats, sent the order twice, I'll go email them". As soon as I get on line an email arrives "Return it or else".

Well they are a firm of two faces indeed. Saints and Sinners.

OP
OP
F

FullTimeDreamer

Free Member
Aug 21, 2009
Funster No
It seems Vicarious have paid subs and joined the dark-side to make "statement" Even when they are trying to be nice the undertone of rudeness is there. Some people who were supporting them have now said they won't buy since reading the statement:ROFLMAO:

I suppose Fun will be getting another member soon. a rude one:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

geoff1947

Free Member
May 20, 2008
Plymouth
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
10 yrs
iv'e had nothing but exellent service from these people and will be ordering again for next year.
recieved the 2010 copy on 8th december, great service.
they did send an e mail saying that the books had been sent, and they had made a mistake and sent two copies to some people.
perhaps these were pissed off they had to send the extra copy back or pay twice.

I agree with you Bevo. Had mine sent to me on site in Spain Arrived before the end of the year no problem.
So what IS the bad service mentioned

leeks

Free Member
Sep 23, 2009
northumberland
Funster No
Exp
3 years
Always had excellent service from them both on the phone and on line. Very surprised and disappointed that others have been treated so badly.
Leeks.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
So what IS the bad service mentioned
Well reading posts including my own I would suggest their service is quite good.
It is their dealing on a one to one basis that leaves folk wanting to tell them ( sorry ) to F off !!
Not one conversation I have had could be called civil.. And although I can be an obnoxious sod, not once have I let rip.. Perhaps if I did I might garner some respect and be spoken to a little better ::bigsmile:

Dec 23, 2007
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Hobby Van Kenobi
Exp
started when I was 11 with my parents-forgot to stop!been real one since 1980!
Perhaps they lack something in the customer interface department. But it could be triggered by some customers attitude. I find that the complaints seem to only be from a very small minority,who probably want to milk a situation for their own gratification.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back