Free Member
Dec 1, 2009
Anywhere in the UK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Starting out fulltiming
Unearthly hour of the morning to be up but I am curious to know if anyone has a Tag Axle Auto Trail, what are they like to drive? is there really loads of room inside, not had a chance to get anywhere to see one.
Kenny:Smile:

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
12 years motorhoming, a lifetime of living
Unearthly hour of the morning to be up but I am curious to know if anyone has a Tag Axle Auto Trail, what are they like to drive? is there really loads of room inside, not had a chance to get anywhere to see one.
Kenny:Smile:

Ive got a single axle scout, the twin axle version is the arraphao (spelling?) I would have prefered the extra lounge room, but did not do enought testing of van to realise this when I bought mine. I think the extra few feet would would make it much more live-able

Driving mine is great, very confortable and handles well, much like a very big car once rolling, even my wife likes to drive it. Cant compare with the twin axle for driving becase Ive never driven one

ps there a couple on ebay they look good Link Removed

Last edited:
OP
OP
K

kennygd

Free Member
Dec 1, 2009
Anywhere in the UK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Starting out fulltiming
thanks for that, seriously thinking about getting one.
Ken

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
12 years motorhoming, a lifetime of living
thanks for that, seriously thinking about getting one.
Ken

the only things I can add, is if your go-ing to use it in the winter and we get another like the last few weeks, you WILL need extra work done to the underbody water tanks, they will need extra insulation and possible a frost heater fitted to the fresh tank, other people will be better able to advise on this,

for full timing a proper twin floor motorhome would probibly be better,

having said that I really like my auto trail

pij974

Free Member
Mar 17, 2008
Wellingborough, Northants
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Hi, we have the Eura Mobil 770HS which is on the alko amc tag axle chassis, it drives like a dream, no body roll, its as if its on rails. We have the rear dinette, so no fixed bed other than above the cab. We looked at the fixed bed/garage models but seemed a waste of space, so we went for the eura mobil with twin floor, so we still had as much storage space underneath as a garage model, but the living space to meet our requirements. Certainly no problems with fresh/waste water freezing up in twin floor!
Hope this helps, good luck.

pij974

Free Member
Mar 17, 2008
Wellingborough, Northants
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Just noticed on the link that the people who are selling the autotrail also has one of ours for sale which they have had for ages (too expensive?) as far as i know these are ex rental motorhomes and i know the eura mobil was a bit tatty when we looked at it about 6 months ago.

busydaffodil

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
Funster No
Sorry about late response....was already in work when you posted this thread.

Tag Axle Autotrail cheyenne owner here, but only purchased late November.
We love it.
28 foot, 4.5tonne but very sturdy on the road compared to other single wheel makes we test drove.
We are still in the early days though & searching for answers to questions.
*Its cos we's dull"

Last edited:

lufcdave7

Free Member
May 12, 2009
Rochdale
Funster No
Exp
1 year
Hi Kenny,
We have an Autotrail Chieftain G.
We spent six years looking at motorhomes while we had caravans. Checked out loads of makes and layouts, the Chieftain ticked 90% of our boxes. Large front lounge, massive 'L' shape kitchen, rear en-suite bedroom with real privacy door and a decent size over cab bed (although we don't like using it, bit claustrophobic for two adults)
To answer your questions, yes, lots of room and a dream to drive.
However, nothing in life is perfect. The tags 'achilles heal' is the front wheel drive, fully loaded with fresh water, provisions and a garage full of flying gear.....don't stop on steep hills! We have had to roll back twice on steep hills to find better grip, the drive wheels can spin badly no matter how gently we let the clutch in, the few inches of rubber can't handle the power of the three litre engine. Agree with earlier post about winterisation, spent a lot of time re-routing feed pipes and putting on additional lagging, but it recently handled -15 in Scotland without problems.
Check out Autotrails web site, they have some great interior shots.

Attachments

• CIMG1784.jpg
    CIMG1784.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 31
Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
We have a Frankia in a Tag axle Al-Ko Chassis and it handles like a dream. The van the link shows seems a bit expensive to me, and personally I would look for a Euramobil or a Frankia at that price.

Last edited:

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
hi kenny
the autotrail tag axle was the motorhome i wanted it ticked all the boxes for what i wanted in a motorhome however at the lincoln show we were looking at all the big tag-axle motor homes and stumbled into a smaller autotrail scout it was about 12 to 18 months old and the floor in the van had de-laminated and gone really soft just in the doorway and in the middle in front of the shower/kitchen area.:cry:
as we wanted the van to live in full time it was going to get some use and the spongy soft floor really put us off.
we went for the double floored dethleffs as it had more or less the same layout as the autotrail but a proper thick plywood floor.
the scout we saw may have been a family van just abused with children bouncing or just had some rather large occupants but the thought that ours could do the same in 12 to 18 months just wasn't worth the risk as far as i could see.

however back on topic they drive really well and feel really sure footed on the road if just a little firm and they really dont feel as big as they are..

andy

woodyold

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Poole
Funster No
MH
panel van
Exp
many
I had an autotrail tag chieftain lowline , fixed low bed [ transverse ] had it 3 years used it all year mainly rallying so on ralley fields most of the time , couldnt wish for a better vehicle , it had everything including the kitchen sink , loads of space plenty of load space and carrying capability , i used it in cold weather never had a problem with the water freezing etc , it drove and handled like a dream averaged @ 25 mpg on long runs , a friend of mine has been full timing in a chieftain [ same layout ] for about 6 years now , i see him frequently and if there had been problems im sure he would have said . Brilliant van , the reason i changed was i needed to downsize everything for the next chapter in my life . :thumb:

Tiderus

Free Member
May 2, 2008
Tywyn, West Wales
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Twelve years
Hi Kenny, had four tag axes in the last five years starting with an Arapaho 05. They are more stable with less roll. I always prefer an end lounge to lie down in while the wife prefers the kitchen. Great when friends come away as well. Lots of locker space, but build quality was not that good. Must have been a Friday afternoon one. Then had a Besacarr with a garage. Great for bringing stuff home. but a bit to cramped for us as the wife had me back up front. Medium build quality, but overall not bad, then 09 had a Kontiki which is supposed to be the top of the middle range M/Homes. Quite nice but again another Friday afternoon one. with screws missing and loose parts, and a fridge that would not work if it was half a degree out either way. So got fed up and had a Dethfeffs tag axel. Straight away it was a good build quality made for a colder climate. As its an A class the large low bed over the cab in more comfortable, as so easy to prepare. Swivel the seats, pull down and thats it already made up. The down side is the price but had such a good deal offered more that I paid for the Kontiki, how could I say no. The down side of a tag is the price, extra length when parking. A small reduction in fuel consumption, and earlier models like the 05 tags used a standard Fiat base which has two axels. When adding a third axel, this reduced the braking by 50% as they didn't upgrade the master cylinder. Now the new ones are modified with a really good system which is a big plus. overall I find them much better with a tag especially when spending more time away. Hope this has helped Rgd's Graham.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back