Free Member
Jul 21, 2009
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Just Looking
Exp
Since 2004
Many of the motorhomes I am considering have a 2.0 ltr JTD engine.
This is considered by many to be underpowered and giving poor consumption.

Any opinions on whether chipping/re-mapping these engines removes these issues?

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Many of the motorhomes I am considering have a 2.0 ltr JTD engine.
This is considered by many to be underpowered and giving poor consumption.

Any opinions on whether chipping/re-mapping these engines removes these issues?

Works a treat.

Guy came from Middlewich came and chipped ours for about £200. Went from struggling up hills to wheelspin in 3rd on wet corners. But only 25 mph which I am sure is mainly due to the Luton bed.

I have no idea how people get 30+ in theirs lugging 3 or 4 tonnes around. But that's what some claim.

derekfaeberwick

Free Member
Dec 1, 2007
Berwick
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
9 Years
Works a treat.

Guy came from Middlewich came and chipped ours for about £200. Went from struggling up hills to wheelspin in 3rd on wet corners. But only 25 mph which I am sure is mainly due to the Luton bed.

I have no idea how people get 30+ in theirs lugging 3 or 4 tonnes around. But that's what some claim.

25 MPH :Eeek: My Mum would like it though!:winky:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

irlamtrucker

Free Member
Oct 3, 2008
stafford
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
8 years
hi,
we had a fiat 2.0ltr common rail diesel in september 2002, we went away to spain 2 weeks after purchasing it, with it being new, the engine was tight, but it was so underpowered we had trucks flashing their lights at me to get out of the way, and i was flat out. when we got home i had it remapped at a local garage that dealt mainly with autosport cars, the difference was unbelievable, it went up hills in 5th gear that before the remapping would struggle in 3rd gear. the fuel consumtion increased from 19 to the gallon up to 22 to the gallon, bearing in mind there was only 3000 miles on the clock. when we sold it 3 years later with 12000 on the clock it was doing 25 to the gallon, it didn't matter if i drove hard or economically it always returned 25 to the gallon. in my opinion it was well worth the £200 i paid for the remapping.
i hope this helps
russ.

imprint

Free Member
Jul 14, 2009
Funster No
"A Guy from Middle Witch"... did he wave his wand, or is our mountain man forgetting witches are gals - the male of the species is a warlock.

(PS love the glider - are you instructing?)

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Its actually a Dodgem:Eeek:
The pole up to the wire netted ceiling is just out of shot::bigsmile:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
"A Guy from Middle Witch"... did he wave his wand, or is our mountain man forgetting witches are gals - the male of the species is a warlock.

(PS love the glider - are you instructing?)

Ha Ha.

Instructing no way - not all ancient pilots are instructors. Not obvious but that's got only one seat.

Everyone should try a glider winch launch, especially motor enthusiasts. 0..60 in about 3 seconds and then what feels like straight up. Awesome.

Attachments

• junior.jpg
    junior.jpg
    104.1 KB · Views: 11
  • HB1.jpg
    HB1.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 8

Macytia

Free Member
Nov 30, 2009
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
4 years
Remapping your 2.0 litre engine will gain you 30 bhp and around 70nm of torque, its the torque improvement that makes the difference on these heavy vehicles. You will be able to hold higher gears for longer without downchanging, the drive will also be a lot more relaxed. Once people have a car/van chipped/remapped they find everything they drive afterwards is flat, and tend to get all of their vehicles done:thumb:

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 9
Had mine done by the same guy in Middlewich ( i think i recommended him) worked a treat on my old van. Superb performance. :thumb:

tan

Free Member
Nov 17, 2009
Braintree. Essex
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
3 years
remapping

Forgive the ignorance chaps but what is chipping / remapping preferably in words of one silyble

TAN:Blush:

Macytia

Free Member
Nov 30, 2009
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
4 years
Basically it is modifying you vans existing ECU software to improve performance. Older vehicles had write once chips(Chipping), newer vehicles have rewriteable chips or have proccessors(Remapping) The software can be changed via the diagnostic socket on the vehicle without lifting the bonnet.

HTH

Gary

Last edited:

JohnM

Free Member
Nov 8, 2008
Central Scotland
Funster No
MH
CClass
Exp
Since Feb 2009 and 40yrs c/vaning
hi. i have been looking at chiping my renault master.check out my diesel box web site.£140 with 90days money back no quibble guarantee.hope this is of help.johnm

solitaire woman

Free Member
Apr 27, 2008
Funster No
Does remapping alter the insurance on the motorhome. Is it one of the things you would have to tell them about when asking for a quote?

tco

Free Member
Mar 12, 2008
Rugby
Funster No
MH
C class LP
Exp
This year (2008) is our first
Ha Ha.
Everyone should try a glider winch launch, especially motor enthusiasts. 0..60 in about 3 seconds and then what feels like straight up. Awesome.

I did. Many years ago I took my first winch launched ride in a TS2 - the cable broke as we were pulling back hard against the winch. - Insufficient height, had to put down emergency style.

BTW I have a 6m LP MH on a 2.2 Hdi I rarely go over 60mph and get 30 mpg, Should I consider chipping? :thumb:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
BTW I have a 6m LP MH on a 2.2 Hdi I rarely go over 60mph and get 30 mpg, Should I consider chipping? :thumb:

Only you can tell, does it struggle up hills ?

If not leave well alone.

Braunston

Free Member
May 21, 2008
Funster No
Hi,

You should tell them, Safeguard noted it but no extra charge, Saga accepted it but charged me about £25/30 extra, albeit Saga were still cheaper overall.

Does remapping alter the insurance on the motorhome. Is it one of the things you would have to tell them about when asking for a quote?

imprint

Free Member
Jul 14, 2009
Funster No
Mountain Man and tco - completely agree, my first launch was was about 45 years ago, my main surprise was how noisy it was, even after light aircraft!

I found helicopters the most exciting form of flying, real 3D popping up over hedges and around trees... one way of keeping one's hair short, like juggling two plates on two sticks simultaneously.

Returning to the subject, does anyone remap or chip motorbikes? Somewhere in a barn I might be able to put my hands on an old Norton. Does anyone know anything about chipping Nortons?

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Returning to the subject, does anyone remap or chip motorbikes? Somewhere in a barn I might be able to put my hands on an old Norton. Does anyone know anything about chipping Nortons?

Link Removed

imprint

Free Member
Jul 14, 2009
Funster No
Aw, c'mon Mountain Man, you're usually smarter than that, I always thought Chipping Norton a very singular place.... sorry, mate.

gogocrosby

Free Member
Apr 2, 2009
Morpeth, Northumberland
Funster No
MH
coach built
Exp
12 years
Had my 2.0 jtd done by Superchips, with a noticeable improvement ,give 30 days to change your mind and branches nationwide. Fuel consumption marginally up with slight increase in engine noise have done 4000 miles with it, money well spent.

Stephen & Jeannie

Free Member
Aug 27, 2008
Gobowen near Oswestry !!
Funster No
MH
Sold and bought a Caravan
Exp
9 years !!!!
Ha Ha.

Instructing no way - not all ancient pilots are instructors. Not obvious but that's got only one seat.

A bit like sex then ?????....:ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

petertee

Free Member
Jun 22, 2009
Cheshire
Funster No
Exp
since June 2008
Remapping your 2.0 litre engine will gain you 30 bhp and around 70nm of torque, its the torque improvement that makes the difference on these heavy vehicles. You will be able to hold higher gears for longer without downchanging, the drive will also be a lot more relaxed. Once people have a car/van chipped/remapped they find everything they drive afterwards is flat, and tend to get all of their vehicles done:thumb:

Yesterday I made the trip TO the guy IN Middlewich and had my 2.2L Peugeot remapped.
It seems exactly like this quote. A more tractable smoother engine - its like the engine should be for the 'van.
Very pleased indeed.

Cheers Brian for your pointer. Oh, and he remembers you as the wheelspin man on top of a steep hill ! :Cool:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Cheers Brian for your pointer. Oh, and he remembers you as the wheelspin man on top of a steep hill ! :Cool:

:))

That was the road up to the cat 'n' fiddle in the wet. A road I know well. Even I was surprised at the torque, glancing carefully sideways he really was.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back