Newbie needs insurance help! (1 Viewer)

sjwaite

Free Member
Jan 14, 2010
Funster No
Hello everyone, i'm new to the site and indeed motorhomes! i've decided to jump in the deep end and get myself one of the big american RV's to go travelling in.

I got made redundant as a care worker mid december last year and thought i'd use the free time to visit warmer climes until summer!

the problem i have this: i was recommended NFU by the chap selling the RV, so i contacted them for cover, only to be refused as i'm now unemployed.
I'm 45, never had an accident, never had points or fines, and have been driving since 1982! so i was surprised to say the least at being refused.
NFU said they have to refer me to the underwriter to be approved, but the lady didn't sound optimistic.

Has anyone ever heard of anything like this? as it's a first for me, and can anyone reccomend another insurer?
i've tried Safeguard but they wanted me to have a tracker fitted, which is hugely expensive.

i'm puzzled! :cry:

Toffs-G

Free Member
Sep 16, 2009
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 640SPB
Exp
September 2009
Try Safeguard they are very switched on when it comes to all motorhomes including RV's

Feb 18, 2009
Guisborough North Yorkshi
Funster No
MH
Malibu T410
Exp
Since August 2008
Insurance

We are with the Caravan Club you would have to be a member but it might be worth giving them a ring. Who is your car insurance with ? maybe they can help

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
If he is off to visit warmer climes until summer he will not beable to sign on so he is retired, as he will not be able to claim any benifits as he is out of the country.

Dave

You cunning devil :)

I wouldn't risk it even if there is logic to your argument.

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
You cunning devil :)

I wouldn't risk it even if there is logic to your argument.
Not only that, a condition of unemployment is you are fit and available for work:RollEyes: so he cant be unemployed
what about a student of life, and your taking a gap year:Eeek: why not:Doh:

froghopper

Free Member
Nov 29, 2009
winchester
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
before they were invented
retired/unemployed

this is not that complicated realy,, i am 66, retired 4 years ago, have done part time work, paid tax etc, finished last short term contract, 2 dec, last year,, went to interview , lady said if you have been unemployed over 14 days we wont employ you,, i said i dont claim benifits, i dont sign on, i dont have to be available for work,, so i was not unemployed,, i was retired again,, i had upset her so much was not going to get job anyway,,, so told her to phone job centre or bennifits office, or i was going to AGE CONCERN and complaining,,, THATS WHAT US OLDIES DO BEST,,, outcome,,, you are not unemployed just because you dont work,,, give up work to lok after sick wife, no pay, no dole etc,, you are NOT WORKING, thats all, go abroad on a gap year, travel the world, even earn a few bob,, still not unemployed,,, so just be honest, say you are not working,, if they still argue,, tell them to poke it,,, then go to CAMPTONS,,,,

THE JOB,, she offered it to me,, as she would have been my boss, said no thanks,,,:thumb::thumb::thumb:

Toffs-G

Free Member
Sep 16, 2009
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 640SPB
Exp
September 2009
We are with the Caravan Club you would have to be a member but it might be worth giving them a ring. Who is your car insurance with ? maybe they can help

Everything is worth a try but when I bought an RV the CC was double the price of Safeguard, they were unsure about the vehicle (nothing special about it just a Tiffin Allegro pretty standard for an RV) and went off to check with underwirters etc took them 3 hours to get back to me. Safeguard on the other hand punched the make and model into the computer and came up with a good price straight away.

Hope this helps

Groundhog

Free Member
Jun 18, 2008
Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
A Class RV
Exp
Since 2008
Not certain which branch of NFU you dealt with but if you have not spoken to NFU, Louth give them a ring on 01507 600249.

Ask for Helen Ross, who is pretty clued up on RV's but only works part time (Monday and Tuesday). Assume she is unemployed the rest of the week.

I have been with Safeguard for 2 years but have a competitive quote from NFU.

AuldCodger

Free Member
Nov 25, 2009
?
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
Been waiting a long time to find a disadvantage of being young, I use Saga and they are always very competitive.
Sorry if I am right with my facts you are too young to qualify for their rates.
:Smile:

Loujess

Free Member
Jan 10, 2010
Leeds UK
Funster No
MH
none
Exp
Insurance

I'm with Lifesure. Much cheaper than Caravan Club, although I am a member.

big map

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 8, 2009
Poole
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2009
I insured ours with Safegaurd for the first time last year. They were not the cheapest nor the most expensive and like many others I had quotes from we did have to have a tracker fitted.
What i did find they were one of the few who seemed to know what they were talking about when it came to usrv's. I also had to use the included breakdown cover when I had an electrical problem on the Isle of Skye last July and found that to be excellant.

Mike.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back