Free Member
Apr 20, 2009
dumfries scotland
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
5 years
If you thought the ban here was severe,Finland are planning a total ban on all tobbacco sales.I think the crime rate may increase slightly eh.:shout:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
If you thought the ban here was severe,Finland are planning a total ban on all tobbacco sales.I think the crime rate may increase slightly eh.:shout:

Could you point to where you read this ?

The only reference I can find is a ban on advertising and stricter controls .. not a ban on sales..

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
bazfergy

bazfergy

Free Member
Apr 20, 2009
dumfries scotland
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
5 years
Could you point to where you read this ?

The only reference I can find is a ban on advertising and stricter controls .. not a ban on sales..

I was watching the news this morning,and they were interviewing the (minister for spoiling everybodys fun) and he said that they hope to go one better than the uk and ban the sale of tobbacco products altogether,I stopped three years ago but i think even i wouldn't agree with this:Eeek:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
I was watching the news this morning,and they were interviewing the (minister for spoiling everybodys fun) and he said that they hope to go one better than the uk and ban the sale of tobbacco products altogether,I stopped three years ago but i think even i wouldn't agree with this:Eeek:

Thanks,
so it was just him hoping .. can't see it ever being introduced, but who knows, stranger things happen..

History shows that prohibition doesn't work, it only creates a black market and criminal gangs, Al Capone and the Chicago mobs were the result of alcohol prohibition in the US ..

We have the same results by banning drugs, I don't know the answer, tobacco and alcohol kill more people than any other banned drug .. but banning won't stop people using ..

The Scottish gov. is making some attempts at tackling the alcohol problem..

Alcohol abuse 'costs every Scot £900 a year

Norrie

Free Member
Mar 17, 2009
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2009
The Scottish gov. is making some attempts at tackling the alcohol problem.

Yes Jim. They're going to do what 'they' always do and introduce legislation to cater for the lowest common denominator - and everyone above that level (+95% ?) will have to pay more to enjoy a quiet pint or glass of wine.
A real democracy would introduce worthy penalties for drink-related crimes and costs. Unfortunately we don't enjoy democracy and continue to hand down sentences that we can afford - as opposed to what is actually deserved.
God, I'm starting to sound like my Dad!

Bulletguy

Free Member
Feb 7, 2008
Cheshire/Staffs
Funster No
Finland drove the price of alcohol through the roof in an attempt to curb drinking.....plus of course making a nice little earner from tax at the same time. It's quite easy for Finns living close to the Russian border to buy both drink and cigarettes at a fraction of their own prices, and smuggling is already commonplace anyway.

Forcing prices up has the reverse effect by making people dig their heels in even more against the establishment. As for a total ban on sales......someones having a laugh. Same 'scenario' applies to those wishing for it in the UK.
Would they be prepared to pay far higher rates of income tax and see their wage diminish? I can answer that question for them. It's a resounding NO!

N

N Luyetund

Deleted User
I was all set to join the tub thumpers.... and then I realised :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

I don't smoke anymore (in fact, very much less:winky:) .... they can ban all smoking anywhere anytime, no worries:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

derekfaeberwick

Free Member
Dec 1, 2007
Berwick
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
9 Years
If you thought the ban here was severe,:

Nope, I didn't, don't.

I think that it's the only way a responsible adult would go if he-she had any concern for the health of future generations.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Well done that man, Must be hard to give up those "Condor Moments":thumb:

Blimey ! Well 'ard !!

Never seen ANYONE smoke a bloody great big vulture !!

Which end goes in the mouth and which end it lit ??

N

N Luyetund

Deleted User
Well done that man, Must be hard to give up those "Condor Moments":thumb:

Cheers Jim ...a mixture of Condor ready rubbed and Erinmore mixture...

just a memory now :winky:

For real: I was considering revisiting Goa and thought... a 10 hour flight and nowhere for a cough and choke at Bahrain ...:Doh:
......then it dawned::bigsmile::Cool:

Sorry about the thread drift:Blush:

nickit

Free Member
Jan 6, 2010
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
Just to clarify, should I now be stuffing the van matress with embassys and booking the ferry or not?:Smile:

wasp

Free Member
Dec 21, 2008
Warsop
Funster No
MH
None gone caravannin
Exp
Never bothered me cos I don`t smoke, I do however "DRINK" but thats another thing :thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back