Free Member
Apr 20, 2009
dumfries scotland
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
5 years
Hi guys,I know a few you are experienced glider pilots,so i would like to ask if any of you can help me please.It's my birthday in march and i have always fancied a go at paragliding,however i use a wheelchair,so don't know how difficult it would be.Could any of you guys point me in the right direction as to where i could get a shot,and maybe a rough idea how much i can expect to pay.I live in dumfries in scotland so the closer the "gliding school" the better.Thanks in anticipation guys:thumb:

ourcampersbeentrashed

Free Member
Apr 19, 2008
East London
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
well over 5 years
There are people with disabilities who have previously paraglided.

May I suggest you contact some of the larger paragliding and parachuting organisations - start off with the British hangliding and paragliding association and then try the uk parachuting either of these organisations should be able to point you in the right direction xxxxxxxxxx Have posted the web links below

http://www.bhpa.co.uk/

http://www.ukparachuting.co.uk/

Dec 23, 2007
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Hobby Van Kenobi
Exp
started when I was 11 with my parents-forgot to stop!been real one since 1980!
I think the cost may be in the region of £100-£150 a trip. But don't worry about facilities they will be able to accomodate you because of the Disabilty Discrimination Act.
If BHPA have this project
http://www.flyability.org.uk/
Happy landings:thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Hi, I dont realy know how you will go about this, but may I congratulate you on your courage to do this.
I wish you every success in your quest.
People like you are a great inspiration to others.
Go for it:thumb::thumb::thumb:

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Hi Bazfergie

We did it in the alps last year and they had a few people on wheelchairs doing it so it can be done. Why dont you get in touch with the glider club at Kirkgunzeon as they have quite a few different gliders and have micro lights like a paraglider with an engine. I know they do take people up as the main flying instructor.When he took me up it was awesome we flew over Dumfries and along the solway coast to Dalbeattie that was in a motorised glider.
Good luck and enjoy

Gerry

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Hi guys,I know a few you are experienced glider pilots,so i would like to ask if any of you can help me please.It's my birthday in march and i have always fancied a go at paragliding

Eeek. Respect.

I'd have thought it difficult, it's all about running to inflate the chute then running again on landing.

On the other hand at Portmoak they have a glider modified for hand control where I've watched a wheelchair bound pilot get his chair alongside, get in unaided, and fly off solo. He was at no disadvantage to all the other pilots. BE WARNED, don't do it if you don't want to get hooked on it. Portmoak is one of the most beautiful airfields in the world, let down by UK weather of course. No problem parking a MH in their car park and a wheelchair friendly ramp to the clubhouse with some of the finest food in Scotland - don't order the full breakfast - I did and put on 3 stones.

Look for Walking on Air mid screen.

http://www.scottishglidingcentre.co.uk/

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
bazfergy

bazfergy

Free Member
Apr 20, 2009
dumfries scotland
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
5 years
Thanks for all the info guys,this site never ceases to amaze me with the wealth of knowledge and experience.I will let you all know how i get on and hopefully have some pics to show as well:thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back