Free Member
Sep 25, 2007
UK
Funster No
MH
5th Wheel
Exp
30+
Over the weekend, I posted that I was having problems with the water pipes freezing in my Kountrylite due to lack of insulation.
I managed to thaw them out by fitting a temporary skirt to the rig and running a small fan heater under the rig from a separate supply.

It turns out that I needent have gone to such trouble!::Doh:
The dealer (Calder leisure) read my posting and has gone to the trouble of e-mailing me to explain how to use the system properly.
There is a hot air supply permanently fed into the chassis void where the pipes run. In exreme conditions (and I think it's fair to say that minus 16.5 is extreme!) if you run the gas heater, but close the vents INSIDE the rig, all the hot air will be directed into the void underneath to quickly defrost the pipes which I think is a rather ingenious idea!::bigsmile:
Based on my own experience on Friday night, I'm not sure that you'd even have to close the inside vents for this to work.::bigsmile: We got home form work at 7pm to -9 deg and frozen pipes. Even tho I didn't know about this feature, I turned on the gas heating figuring that enough heat might seep from the ducting to thaw out the pipes. In about 15 to 20 minutes, we were completely thawed out and warm as toast.
So, hats off to the dealer for his trouble and slap wrist for me for not reading the flippin' manual properly!:thumb:

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
With that skirt on keep the fan speed down Pau,l dont want to see the worlds first Hover 5ver driffting down the road:Eeek::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

OP
OP
zaskar

zaskar

Free Member
Sep 25, 2007
UK
Funster No
MH
5th Wheel
Exp
30+
With that skirt on keep the fan speed down Pau,l dont want to see the worlds first Hover 5ver driffting down the road:Eeek::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Now there's an idea! ::bigsmile: Bit like that amphibeous RV::bigsmile:
If I patent it, can you weld it!:ROFLMAO:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

artona

Free Member
Jul 31, 2007
Funster No
MH
self build
Exp
40 yrs and still not got a release date
How are you finding the fifth wheel compared to an RV Paul?

stew

OP
OP
zaskar

zaskar

Free Member
Sep 25, 2007
UK
Funster No
MH
5th Wheel
Exp
30+
How are you finding the fifth wheel compared to an RV Paul?

stew

Hi Stew, long time no hear, Sorry mate but I lost your number out of my phone so not been able to contact.:Doh:

As far as the 5ver goes, we're well chuffed. I wouldn't like to go as far as saying that a 5ver is BETTER than an A class cos we all have different needs, but for us it does seem to be the better option at the moment.
We have ffi's little C1 for commuting and the Nav for towing and any other journeys we might make. That's it! thats all.!::bigsmile:
Now, when we had the A class, we had the rig, a motorbike on the back for sightseeing, ffi's car and my car! That four lots of tax/mot/insurance etc!!!!:Eeek: One day, we sat there and thought, this is bl**dy crackers!
We're finding that the 5ver is far cheaper to heat and run than the A class and that it gives us all the benefits of an RV, but with a reasonable sensible 2.5 Ltr engine.
ffi MUCH prefers the 5ver. Says its more like her own little apartment than the A class was and that, for her, its nice not to be hiding the stearing wheel and dashboard with hats and cloths and stuff, just to make it look nice on site...............must be a girl thing!:ROFLMAO:
Must admit that I still LOVE the A Class rig, must be a bloke/Yorkie man thing!::bigsmile:

At the moment, whilst we're still working for a living, the 5ver makes better sense because the rig spends a lot of time on site and we still each have a car for commuting /shopping/etc.
Eventually, when we are (hopefully) able to overwinter in Spain, I think an A Class and toad (C1 or similar) would make better sense. The reason being that you would have one big hit on the fuel, dragging the outfit South, and then once you're there, the rig gets parked up and the little (economical) car can be used for 6 months worth of running about.
This scenario, of course, only holds true if you intend to spend virtually the whole winter in one place but as the only way to get affordable site rates in Spain seems to be if you spend AT LEAST a month or 2 in one spot, I get the impression that the majority of people find the one site they like and stay put for the whole winter.

artona

Free Member
Jul 31, 2007
Funster No
MH
self build
Exp
40 yrs and still not got a release date
Many thanks Paul

stew

davidjones

Free Member
Nov 16, 2009
Stockport
Funster No
MH
5th Wheel
Exp
3rd year 5ver
Kountrylite Heater

We've a Kountrylite 26RL low profile. I haven't read about this heating feature. Which manual gives the details?

The limit of my winterizing has been to drain three tanks and fit the cover imported from the States. It will probably February half term before I take the cover off and check things out!

:Smile:

LesAshmore

Free Member
Jan 20, 2009
Chesterfield, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 990MHV
Exp
30 +
We've a Kountrylite 26RL low profile. I haven't read about this heating feature. Which manual gives the details?

The limit of my winterizing has been to drain three tanks and fit the cover imported from the States. It will probably February half term before I take the cover off and check things out!

Hi David, I am not familiar with 5ers yet but the main thing you should ensure is drained properly on a MH is the hot water tank/boiler as if things freezes it costs money, I always drained the tanks Clean and Waste and drained Hot water tank and boiler and then turned taps on to ensure they were drained totally.

Just out of curiosity where did you get the Cover from as I was thinking about getting one ?

Les

:thumb:

algill

Free Member
Dec 12, 2007
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel
Exp
Since 2007
fit the cover imported from the States. It will probably February half term before I take the cover off and check things out!

Oh what a sin. Don't cover it - use it. :thumb:

We're in ours every other weekend over the winter - it's lovely and cosy. ::bigsmile:

Gill

Ant&Debs

Free Member
Jun 24, 2009
Alvorge,Portugal
Funster No
MH
Rockwood Fiver
Exp
2 years long time ago
Hi David, I am not familiar with 5ers yet but the main thing you should ensure is drained properly on a MH is the hot water tank/boiler as if things freezes it costs money, I always drained the tanks Clean and Waste and drained Hot water tank and boiler and then turned taps on to ensure they were drained totally.

Just out of curiosity where did you get the Cover from as I was thinking about getting one ?

Les

:thumb:

Hi Les

Try www.rvwholesalers.com they sell them or you could go through Link Removed as they deal with them.

Ant & Debs

OP
OP
zaskar

zaskar

Free Member
Sep 25, 2007
UK
Funster No
MH
5th Wheel
Exp
30+

Sorry David, I don't know at the moment, due to the fact that i haven't got round to reading the manuals properly!:Doh:
We've had 2 x A class before and as the onboard systems are virtually identicle, we just got on with it.::bigsmile:
The info I posted was in response to an E-Mail from Calder Leisure who told me that its written in the spec.
HTH

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back