how long is a piece of string (1 Viewer)

pops

Free Member
May 1, 2012
south glos
Funster No
MH
Pilote panel van
Exp
since1997
Ok story so far, We were 6 days into our 3+ month tour of Scotland when are Combi 4E packed in giving heat on the low setting. Gas is ok, but high setting we are only getting low heat. I suspect that a element has gone. We have a fan heater to help out in very cold weather and have bought another one as a backup. The van is just over three years old and I reckon that the heater has been on for roughly 3,000 hours in that time. So ladies and gents the question is do you think this is good or would you expect a longer life. Hence the title How long is a piece of string.
We are still on our travels and we are ready for anything the weather is going to throw at us.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Sorry.. I don't have a piece of string to measure.. .. our Truma boiler is gas only ..

I guess that makes mine 0.0 cm :D

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
The length of a piece of string is an equation with a variable answer.........your boiler is a piece of string.

Anything electrical or mechanical can fail at any time.....and without warning.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
I could be wrong (probably!) but Truma may give a three warranty on the 4E and might give some "goodwill" if it's just over three years old? Might be worth a call to them?

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
At 3000 hours sounds like well past it's sell by date, I've seen reports on the web of the heating elements only lasting about 18 months of normal use. They work better on gas anyway and a lot cheaper to run.

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Is the string lying down or standing up ?
It's not clear wheather you want the Length or the Height:D

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
The electric part is only 1800 watts if I am right and that will not give a lot of heat, start up on gas get the temperature up then keep it going on electric hook up. Was it any different before???? Cold weather show all the deficiencies in the vehicle insulation and it takes a load more heat to keep it warm more than the electric coil can give.

filopastry

Free Member
Nov 11, 2013
london
Funster No
MH
littleun
Exp
newbie and learning every day
All string no matter what length is exactly twice half its length

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Another of those threads where someone asks for help and never returns:( this gets me far more uptight than any snipeing or abuse.

Alistair33

Free Member
Aug 23, 2016
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
None
Another of those threads where someone asks for help and never returns:( this gets me far more uptight than any snipeing or abuse.
It's a question of etiquette I'm always cautious of jumping back in to soon and not allowing enough time to get a good sample of responses before coming back, and I can see how it would be possible to forget to make a further comment!

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
It's a question of etiquette I'm always cautious of jumping back in to soon and not allowing enough time to get a good sample of responses before coming back, and I can see how it would be possible to forget to make a further comment!
Yeah but this thread is a year old, surely he could have remembered by now:(

Cleve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 27, 2015
France
Funster No
MH
Hymer 654
I don't know, I go to do/fetch/look on eBay and by the time I get to it (sometimes seconds later) I can't think what the hell I am there for. Retracing my steps does not always work. Thank goodness I am retired, I'll be able to push in at the post office soon, if I can remember why I went there!:imoutahere:

Stretto Boy

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2016
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2011
String may be measured in several ways:

1. If it is extremely long (say several trillion kilometres) then take it to a large (clearly enormous) darkened room. Shine a torch from one end to the other, with the aid of an assistant who times how long it takes for the beam of light to reach the other end of the piece of string. Accurate measurements are essential, so an atomic clock is required. It is also important that the timekeeper has instantaneous reaction times in order to turn the clock on and off at precisely the right moment. When you know how long it has taken for the beam to traverse the string, you can calculate the length of it for we know that light travels at a constant speed of 1,079,252,848.8 kilometres per hour.

2. For much shorter pieces I recommend the use of a ruler, although method 1 can be used if extremely precise measurements are required.

3. The cheat's method is to read the measurements on the packet that the string came in.

Please note that none of the above is in any way related to what nuclear physicists term "String Theory".

I hope that this is of some assistance.

P.S. I have a Truma Combi 6E. Perhaps this is a later model than your 4 but mine works without any string being involved at all :)

Alistair33

Free Member
Aug 23, 2016
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
None
String may be measured in several ways:

1. If it is extremely long (say several trillion kilometres) then take it to a large (clearly enormous) darkened room. Shine a torch from one end to the other, with the aid of an assistant who times how long it takes for the beam of light to reach the other end of the piece of string. Accurate measurements are essential, so an atomic clock is required. It is also important that the timekeeper has instantaneous reaction times in order to turn the clock on and off at precisely the right moment. When you know how long it has taken for the beam to traverse the string, you can calculate the length of it for we know that light travels at a constant speed of 1,079,252,848.8 kilometres per hour.

HHGTTG ?

OP
OP
pops

pops

Free Member
May 1, 2012
south glos
Funster No
MH
Pilote panel van
Exp
since1997
@chaser, I am sorry I have not replied,but as we were on tour and it is nearly one year ago I suspect we could not get internet to reply at the time. We are on the same Scottish tour as I write and have been without lnternet for seven days. The answer to the question is Truma said that 3000hrs was a good life time for the elements.
The elements were both changed last October and all is working ok.
Weather in the highlands is cold and windy with sunshine now and then at the moment. Thanks to all who replied.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back