LIFE MEMBER
Nov 20, 2016
Kirkcudbright, D&G
Funster No
MH
AS Kingham 2017
Exp
Since 2009
Rather than hijack @Bovisand 's thread, I have an issue with the latest Kampa driveaway type of awning and to be fair to Kampa, I don't think it is just their awnings of this type. To be be extra fair to Kampa, the quality and all other design features are superb.

The attaching tunnel, when measured from front to rear of the van, is too narrow to accommodate the fully open sliding door. The forward position is dictated by the 'B' pillar between the sliding door and the front passenger door and as can be seen in the picture, the open sliding door passes well beyond the rear of the awning tunnel.
I was made aware of the issue with another brand and have been very careful when opening the door, so as not to damage the awning.

I have had to leave a gap between the tunnel and the side of the van, to allow the door to fully open, but this leaves the open door open to the elements and somewhat defeats the object. There is a door stop available, which prevents the door fully opening, which no doubt will prevent damage to the awning, but again, defeats the object of that nice wide door.

I can't think of any solution other than the manufacturers making an awning tunnel wide enough to accommodate the fully open door of PVCs.

Ps.... Just ignore the savage hunter killer awning guard dog in the foreground !

image.jpeg

OP
OP
Kingham

Kingham

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 20, 2016
Kirkcudbright, D&G
Funster No
MH
AS Kingham 2017
Exp
Since 2009
.....and this is the size of gap I've had to leave, which isn't very weather tight and would require the side door closing if the wind/rain was coming from that direction.

image.jpeg

Nov 25, 2013
kent
Funster No
MH
Swift Kontiki 669
Exp
Since April 2013
Have a Rally Air 390 so four upright tubes. Used it last week for the first time. No problems.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
We have a Kampa Travel Pod Maxi Air and we are not deeply impressed with it either as far as its fit to the van. Fiat PVC

I don't think the attaching tunnel for want of a better word is meant to be tight to the side of the van.

Our awning being a bit longer than yours does fit over the sliding door.

A few pictures below shows the side flaps fairly tight with a huge amount of spare material flapping around the roof area.

View media item 21950
View media item 21951
View media item 21952

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Is the 390 also a drive away ????

I am not really sure what makes the OP's a drive away, the term is s little loose IMO

Looks like you would have to slide off the figure of eight track at least

But to OP, would a larger size not have been or would still be a better option with such a large opening?

edit - by drive away I guess the ability to support itself without a van alongside might be key, didn't really think through my first comment o_O(y)

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Rather than hijack @Bovisand 's thread, I have an issue with the latest Kampa driveaway type of awning and to be fair to Kampa, I don't think it is just their awnings of this type. To be be extra fair to Kampa, the quality and all other design features are superb.

The attaching tunnel, when measured from front to rear of the van, is too narrow to accommodate the fully open sliding door. The forward position is dictated by the 'B' pillar between the sliding door and the front passenger door and as can be seen in the picture, the open sliding door passes well beyond the rear of the awning tunnel.
I was made aware of the issue with another brand and have been very careful when opening the door, so as not to damage the awning.

I have had to leave a gap between the tunnel and the side of the van, to allow the door to fully open, but this leaves the open door open to the elements and somewhat defeats the object. There is a door stop available, which prevents the door fully opening, which no doubt will prevent damage to the awning, but again, defeats the object of that nice wide door.

I can't think of any solution other than the manufacturers making an awning tunnel wide enough to accommodate the fully open door of PVCs.

Ps.... Just ignore the savage hunter killer awning guard dog in the foreground !

View attachment 158733
Could have been the high lighted text that convinced me DavidG58:doh::laughing:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back