Thermal jackets for vulnerable parts..... my idea... (1 Viewer)

savantuk

Free Member
Jul 3, 2009
Cumbria, Lake district UK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
30 years.
It's -15c at the moment here in Cumbria, but it was -20 yesterday when I decided I might try to insulate the taps and filters on my van.

I tried carving some blocks of polystyrene packing, but it was difficult and messy. I then thought I'd try polystyrene beads in bags, but it was still problematical.

I then had an idea, which I thought was worth trying. It worked - wonderfully well in fact!!

I went to my local DIY shop, and bought a couple of tins of polystyrene foam gap filler, at around £8 a tin.

I put a small bin bag liner around the kitchenette taps, and inserted the 'filler tube' of the foam, and pressed the button. the bag immediately filled, and before it had time to dry, i pressed the bag around the taps and spout.

I allowed it to dry (it took around half an hour to go perfectly hard). I then took a Stanley knife blade, and CAREFULLY ran it around the profile of the taps, being careful not to cut right through. I then snapped the polystyrene around the shape of the taps, using the cut line, and the whole thing snapped cleanly in half, leaving two perfectly formed pieces which exactly conformed to the shape of the taps and spout.

It was a quick job to remove the, by now, shredded bin bag, and replace a beautifully well fitting polystyrene jacket, which I then put back around the tap, and gaffer taped it to hold it together.

It took me a couple of hours to do the rest of the vulnerable bits, but it was very easy.

It occurs to me that given the right resources, I could patent an all in one kit, and take it to the Dragons den, but it may already exist, and I really did want to share the idea with you all. It may save a few taps from bursting.

I've also done one for the outside taps in the garden - far better than sacking strips!!

Last edited:

Steve1087

Free Member
Nov 20, 2009
Selby, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Cracking idea, might have a go at that myself (I'm another retired PO). Never noticed before but the ads to the right of your post are all to do with insulating materials including spray foam. Google must pick up automatically on keywords and put appropriate ads against relevant posts. You live and learn.:RollEyes:

derekfaeberwick

Free Member
Dec 1, 2007
Berwick
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
9 Years
Thermal jackets for vulnerable parts... I thought it might be something from the London Rubber Co. :Blush::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Autoquest

Free Member
Oct 13, 2008
Small EU backwater
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2007
Tis a very good idea which I am going to steal forthwith::bigsmile:

Slightly more practical than my idea of a hinged motorbike trailer which folds up and attaches to the back of the van when not in use:Cool:

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003
That could be an idea for Paul (Zasker) to insulate his Fiver's piping as discussed on another thread.

I have often thought that foam may do the job but have been concerned about the fact that it also expands quite a lot, so in a confined space it can damage the surrounding material. It is used in boat building to create buoyancy but you have to be aware if you put into small spaces it could crack the boat hull.
Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device

imprint

Free Member
Jul 14, 2009
Funster No
We've used the stuff for fixing roof tiles and fitting some double glazing around the house, but hadn't thought of using it on the van. It really does expand a lot, so I suggest trying it somewhere else first, just to get some idea of h ow much to use, rather than finding out in a confined space inside your van where it might do damage.

Can't get near ours at the moment, up here in Glen Haggis

zaskar

Free Member
Sep 25, 2007
UK
Funster No
MH
5th Wheel
Exp
30+
A dammed usefull post!!

Now THAT, I like. Thanks for posting an extremely usefull post. I particularly like the fact that by a combination of squeezing the bag whilst still soft, or "carving" when hardened, you can make an asthetically pleasing job of the finish as well as achieving the main aim of insulating the pipes.

Thanks also to KIETH for PMing a link to this thread which I fully intend to act upon!

Ive said it many times before and I'll say it again, this Forum is AWESOME!!!!!!!:thumb:

As a matter of intest, we got round the problem of frozen pipes by using a very quick and cheap temporary fix for now.
The weather is simply too cold and snowy to mess about fitting awning channel to the bottom of my 5ver so that I can fit an all round awning skirt to keep the cold out.
For now, I went to B & Q, bought a 9 quid plastic tarpaulin, carefully cut it up into 36" strips and duck taped it around the bottom of the rig. This, although not being the prettiest job, is good enough as a temporary fix, has cost begger all (apart from the closest I've ever comne to frostbite!!!!:ROFLMAO:) and has raised the temp under the rig sufficiently to stop the pathetically inadequately lagged pipes from freezing.
In the summer, I'll do a proper job ready for next winter but for now, the temp' fix is doing a good enough job!::bigsmile:::bigsmile:

Last edited:

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Now THAT, I like. Thanks for posting an extremely usefull post. I particularly like the fact that by a combination of squeezing the bag whilst still soft, or "carving" when hardened, you can make an asthetically pleasing job of the finish as well as achieving the main aim of insulating the pipes.

Thanks also to KIETH for PMing a link to this thread which I fully intend to act upon!

Ive said it many times before and I'll say it again, this Forum is AWESOME!!!!!!!:thumb:

As a matter of intest, we got round the problem of frozen pipes by using a very quick and cheap temporary fix for now.
The weather is simply too cold and snowy to mess about fitting awning channel to the bottom of my 5ver so that I can fit an all round awning skirt to keep the cold out.
For now, I went to B & Q, bought a 9 quid plastic tarpaulin, carefully cut it up into 36" strips and duck taped it around the bottom of the rig. This, although not being the prettiest job, is good enough as a temporary fix, has cost begger all (apart from the closest I've ever comne to frostbite!!!!:ROFLMAO:) and has raised the temp under the rig sufficiently to stop the pathetically inadequately lagged pipes from freezing.
In the summer, I'll do a proper job ready for next winter but for now, the temp' fix is doing a good enough job!::bigsmile:::bigsmile:

Glad to have been a help Paul :thumb:

thehutchies

Free Member
Aug 31, 2007
The Wheelèd Shed
Funster No
MH
Exp
When I was an electrical engineer (many, many years ago) that was how we used to insulate and waterproof busbar joints. A kit of two rigid plastic 'cups' to surround the joint, then the expanding foam injected through a small hole.

Bang goes the patent! ::bigsmile:

john-A

Free Member
Dec 6, 2009
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Laika
Exp
n/a

This forum is only as good as its members and thats why this Forum is AWESOME!!!!!!!:thumb:

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
The answer to Pauls(Zaskar) next question is "petrol used very carfully"
what is the question????????:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
Geo

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
The answer to Pauls(Zaskar) next question is "petrol used very carfully"
what is the question????????:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
Geo

How do you get ir off your B****y hands. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
It's -15c at the moment here in Cumbria, but it was -20 yesterday when I decided I might try to insulate the taps and filters on my van.

I tried carving some blocks of polystyrene packing, but it was difficult and messy. I then thought I'd try polystyrene beads in bags, but it was still problematical.

I then had an idea, which I thought was worth trying. It worked - wonderfully well in fact!!

I went to my local DIY shop, and bought a couple of tins of polystyrene foam gap filler, at around £8 a tin.

I put a small bin bag liner around the kitchenette taps, and inserted the 'filler tube' of the foam, and pressed the button. the bag immediately filled, and before it had time to dry, i pressed the bag around the taps and spout.

I allowed it to dry (it took around half an hour to go perfectly hard). I then took a Stanley knife blade, and CAREFULLY ran it around the profile of the taps, being careful not to cut right through. I then snapped the polystyrene around the shape of the taps, using the cut line, and the whole thing snapped cleanly in half, leaving two perfectly formed pieces which exactly conformed to the shape of the taps and spout.

It was a quick job to remove the, by now, shredded bin bag, and replace a beautifully well fitting polystyrene jacket, which I then put back around the tap, and gaffer taped it to hold it together.

It took me a couple of hours to do the rest of the vulnerable bits, but it was very easy.

It occurs to me that given the right resources, I could patent an all in one kit, and take it to the Dragons den, but it may already exist, and I really did want to share the idea with you all. It may save a few taps from bursting.

I've also done one for the outside taps in the garden - far better than sacking strips!!

Just one tip to Doug's very good idea...( I have used a lot of expanding foam in the building trade) we found if it dropped on anything e.g carpets, don't panic leave it (don't try to clean as you will make it worse you will rub it into the pile) wait till it is set and it will come off a lot easier.....use masking tape to protect things, and if on glass window, leave to dry and use a Stanley knife scraper...cleaning your hands, we used white spirit but clean off hands quickly or use them white rubber Latex gloves, but an excellent idea Doug.

they use it in formula 1 racing cars to create a mould of the driver when making the seats, polythene bag around the driver then inject expanding foam....perfect shape..:thumb::thumb:

Mel

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back