Banned
Feb 17, 2008
Full timing in the van
Funster No
MH
Fiat decato
Exp
8years
a parking charge notice has just dropped through my letterbox. it was issued by a private company called cp plus who are working on behalf of moto. i visited the services close to birmingham on my way home from cornwall after christmas and stayed longer than expected. i am unsure whether a private firm can insist i pay.-----any advice please.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
no, they cant insist on payment.

you havent received a ticket....you've received an invoice.

the parking contract was with the driver at the time and the onus is on them to prove who was driving.
write to them and state you were not the driver and its up to them to find out who was...not for you to provide details.
you will get all kinds of theatening letters, including threats of bailiffs and county courts, but they will eventually stop sending them.

pay them and its just encouragement for them to keep issuing these illegal demands.
have a look <HERE>

in particular the piece entitled Step-by-Step guide to fighting private parking tickets.
it also includes a template letter.

the more people refuse to pay, the sooner this practise will stop.

PS...Martin Lewis should be made PM.....a real man for the people.

Last edited:

Tony Santara

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Cheshire (ex Mancunian)
Funster No
MH
A class RV
Exp
since 1994
I have had this on some occasions when parking my truck on motorway services ....both I and the company I worked for ignored the demand and have never heard anymore about it.

It costs them too much time and effort to chase these through the courts

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Kon tiki

Free Member
Oct 11, 2007
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Low Line
Exp
20+
I think the 2 hour limit on motorways is a bit ridiculous when you see all the signs warning you to take a break. The only other option seems to be to pay for 24 hours :Sad: When we are traveling a long distance on the motorway having a break of something like 4 to 6 hours would be a more reasonable time to have a short nap before continuing your journey. Why can't we have areas like they have on the continent where they provide places just to park without the services & just a basic toilet.:Eeek:

dpick

Free Member
Jun 13, 2009
Middlesbrough
Funster No
Hi this is just another PPC scam. It is not a fine it is an invoice for parking. outside their rules. This is contract law and any charges can only be damages equal to their loss. IE nowt.

Its a SCAM normal process is.

2 letters from PPC
2 letters from Dept Collections Agency(the next desk in office)
2 letters from supposed solicitor(next but one desk or the cleaner)

Each letter gets more aggressive/desperate. Threats to issue CCJ (only courts are able to do this) Take your wife and kids, they would soon send them back.

Treat them as the joke they are

dpick

froghopper

Free Member
Nov 29, 2009
winchester
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
before they were invented
motorway stop

have listed this before, go to any tesco store, get one of their maps, on long distance travel you would be so suprised how close you are to a major store, cheap fuel, cheap food, often a cafe, and if you go right over the back time for a nap, they are starting to have time limits, but a word at customer services as you leave store, i e, shop first, then cafe, then tell them you are not feeling so good,, they are o k. lets not go over the top and camp, dont cook a roast in van,, :ROFLMAO:

kickstart

Free Member
Dec 13, 2008
south yorkshire, Benidorm
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
4 years
Agree with the rest and Martin Lewis, I got one off the same bandits/company at a McDonalds near Stoke the other month for staying longer than an hour, was sat in the car waiting for someone for half that time,have had reminder which was filed in the bin with the other,don't even bother writting to them,there are more important things to do in this life.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
A comment on UK society ?

Not many replies but not one has said "You parked on their carpark, that they had paid for and you have a charge that was clearly documented".

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Not many replies but not one has said "You parked on their carpark,(1) that they had paid for and you have (2)a charge that was clearly documented".

(1)for the convenience of THEIR customers.

if they dont want you staying too long then dont provide a car park....simple answer.

(2)a charge that is unenforcable.

Last edited:

Landy lover

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2009
Zummerzet
Funster No
MH
27ft Eurolight
Exp
Camping Caravaning now 5'ering 49 years
You have their address - they have yours - they have sent you an invoice - the simple answer to this scam is to issue a professional looking invoice to them for a slightly larger amount about 20 or 30pence- make sure the invoice you send is for your wasted time answering spurious claims and invoices seeking professional opinions etc and then when they ask you to explain what your invoice is about ask them to explain fully what theirs is about and offer to contra account if they would like to pay the small balance to you - if they start to try and send threatening letters copy the information to a letter from you but using your invoice details and send to them - it confuses the hell out of them and they will get the message and usually stop sending you any more silly letters. Threats of taking them to court for non payment frightens the hell out of them - its really good fun provided you dont take them seriously.:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Tony Santara

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Cheshire (ex Mancunian)
Funster No
MH
A class RV
Exp
since 1994
Not many replies but not one has said "You parked on their carpark, that they had paid for and you have a charge that was clearly documented".

Often times on motorway services "their car park" is not theirs but leased land which I believe has a clause about not subletting which is what they are doing when charging for parking

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
May we take away any emotional issues for a moment please.

MSAs all have to provide two hours free parking for all types of vehicle. That is designed to provide an adequate break for people doing an average motorway journey involving just travel rather than accommodation. It is not designed to provide a place for a longer stop necessitated by a long journey where the driver can plan in advance to take stops at other places (e.g. hotel, camp site) which are designed for longer stops.

MSA operators are private companies which seek to make a profit on their operations (and are up front about that). They are not charities and are not funded out of taxes (which would be the alternative if they were publicly run).

When we use parking at a MSA we enter into a contract on the terms displayed on the boards in the car parks. If we don't like those terms we can decide to go elsewhere rather than enter into the contract.

Any charge for breach of any contract has to comply with contract law - which seeks to place each party in the position it would have been had the breach not occurred. That means that any charge/damages must not exceed the actual loss suffered. If the injured party (the MSA operator) seeks to obtain a higher charge than the loss suffered it is unlikely they would win a court case - and that is the reason that they are reluctant to take cases to court.

However, if we intend staying for more than than the two free hours (whether initially or realising we need to later on) then, apart from any contract requirement, we are morally obliged to pay the parking charge advertised on the notices and we have a responsibility to make sure we do so. If we ignore that responsibility then do we really have a right to complain when the MSA company tries to charge the extra that we agreed to when we entered into the contract?

If we expect MSA companies to be fair to us, we must extend the same standard to them.

Graham

OP
OP
Hayleylulu

Hayleylulu

Banned
Feb 17, 2008
Full timing in the van
Funster No
MH
Fiat decato
Exp
8years
i dont mined paying put am not paying £80 pounds for staying 0ne hour over as i did not in tend to stay Moore than 2 hours

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
i think its time you got a live so you would pay £80 pounds to stay on a carpark then

What I have done is fit a timer so if I do want a sleep I don't exceed the free time.

No arguing £80 is a lot of money but once they start writing letters then the costs rack up and the more people that don't pay the more they increase the costs in the future.

I got done for £25 for being over a white line in a carp park. Did I like it, no. Was I in the wrong, yes. So I paid up.

I don't know if I'd cough up £80 without a fight. Even Red Ken gave me a discount for for early settlement for not paying to use his roads.

Tony Santara

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Cheshire (ex Mancunian)
Funster No
MH
A class RV
Exp
since 1994
Heres a thought for you all......Why is it only here (UK) where a parking charge is made on motorway rest stops, the rest of the continental countries allow free parking for vehicles for an undefined period
I have many times stayed a whole weekend on such places abroad without the hint of a charge.
Is it the British way to squeeze as much as possible from its patrons ?

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
i dont mined paying put am not paying £80 pounds for staying 0ne hour over as i did not in tend to stay Moore than 2 hours

I understand your point and £80 could well be found to be excessive under contract law as mentioned previously. On the other hand, though, the MSA operator doesn't know whether somebody overstaying has simply made a mistake or done it deliberately.

Going to court would certainly increase the amount so is not worth doing - so the choice, unfortunately, is either pay up or ignore the letter(s) and hope they go away.

Graham

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Heres a thought for you all......Why is it only here (UK) where a parking charge is made on motorway rest stops, the rest of the continental countries allow free parking for vehicles for an undefined period
I have many times stayed a whole weekend on such places abroad without the hint of a charge.
Is it the British way to squeeze as much as possible from its patrons ?

Vive la difference Tony? :Smile:

Graham

Jan 19, 2008
Wetherby
Funster No
MH
Weinsberg Carcompact
Exp
Home address

Can I ask a simple question - If the invoice has been sent to you - How do they get your home address? Is it a simple task of them asking/paying the DVLA for address details from the vehicle reg?
Deno

OP
OP
Hayleylulu

Hayleylulu

Banned
Feb 17, 2008
Full timing in the van
Funster No
MH
Fiat decato
Exp
8years
Can I ask a simple question - If the invoice has been sent to you - How do they get your home address? Is it a simple task of them asking/paying the DVLA for address details from the vehicle reg?
Deno

yes they pay DVLA

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Deno

Anyone who has "reasonable cause" to require information can obtain it. See Link Removed and linked pages.

Graham

OP
OP
Hayleylulu

Hayleylulu

Banned
Feb 17, 2008
Full timing in the van
Funster No
MH
Fiat decato
Exp
8years
just been on cp plus lit complaints and every one says dont pay them they will go away and do not contacted them so we are not going to give them a penny

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
On a slightly different tack, nothing to do with Hayleylulu's case.

Please don't anyone think that overstaying will only ever result in a subsequent payment demand which can be ignored.

Some companies are already using clamps which require payment up front before removal. Whether we think it right or wrong, I should think that sort of practice will be extended if companies experience growing non-payment of demands.

Graham

ips

Free Member
Jul 3, 2009
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Have always camped, caravaned or had boats. Now in our second year with the motorhome.

I agree with Mr Hilldweller, I too have received fines/invoices for parking incorrectly at a supermarket. (in disabled spot because I didnt want a door opening on my new car) I knew it was cheeky but took the risk. I also knew that I could probably get away with not paying it as they probably wouldnt pursue it however I contavened there rules so I paid up the £50.

camper69

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
North Bucks
Funster No
Exp
Chuck it in the bin. It is unenforeable as it is totally out of proportion to the costs they have incurred. ie nothing.

Do not reply to any correspondance they send you as this just keeps the process going longer as they think you will pay. Eventually the letters will stop.

If you require any further reading on the matter try http://forums.pepipoo.com/index.php?showforum=30

Derek

Peter James

Free Member
Dec 5, 2009
Funster No

The simple answer is Maggie Thatcher who sold off all our Motorway service areas to private companies whose objective is to maximise profit on them. This is also why no proper motorway service areas have been built since then. Instead of a separate service area on each carriageway fed by separate slip roads, the new ones have been built next to already congested roundabouts because infrastructure costs are lower.

Incidentally they went on to sell off our power and water companies so we are the only country in the world who would let foreign companies own and control our power and water. But what I find most remarkable is there has been more protests about the takeover of Cadbury by Kraft than there were about any of this. It is only when one junk food company takes over another that people start to complain. This must be the most stupid country in Europe.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
This must be the most stupid country in Europe.

Good chance you are right there, but it does not matter because there will be a knock on your door in a minute because you have just made a remark that is derogatory to stupid countries and is therefore illegal. About ten years I reckon, maybe out on parole in 4.

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
I would look into it firstly, check on pepipoo, quite a knowledgable bunch. There are legal time limits etc, they may have expired. The signs may not have be adequately displayed, as proven in WSM recently when some young lad sued the clamping company for inadequate signage.

These 2 hour limits are hitting the media, and new legislation is coming out for private parking enforcement. Currently, the 2 hour limit contravenes the DDA - only helps if you hold a blue badge though! But a threat of that would make them run a mile.

I would take some serious advice, if you want to get away with it, you will have to put in some time and effort - ignore it and hope it goes away is playing straight into their hands, as they can then stick you on a list of thousands, that gets signed by a judge without looking at the cases individually and then they are off to the bailiffs with the CCJ against you. Much harder to get out of that one.

Research now, get solid facts and advice and see where you stand from there.:thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back