Michael_mcr

Free Member
Apr 17, 2017
Manchester
Funster No
MH
Don't Own One Yet
Exp
Hello I'm new here and looking for some advise. After many years of camping in tents in the UK and Europe I have started to consider getting a campervan. I began to look at the obvious models based on a VW and also at the VW California. I was pretty gobsmacked at the price of the VW once you start adding a few extras.

I wasn't aware that the PVC conversion existed until i started to research more thoroughly and began to think this may better suit my needs. We are a family of three, two adults and a five year old.

I'm looking for a 3/4 berth PVC no longer than 5.5 meters. I've googled a few and possible contenders are the Westfalia Amundsen 540, Globecar Roadscout R, Dreamer d43 and Knaus Boxlife amongst others. I'd life a fixed double bed but don't mind something else if it makes more sense. The Boxlife seems interesting.

It would be used for Uk adventures, Scottish wild camping and longer breaks in Europe with an awning. I would hopefully buy used a few years old.

Sorry that my first post contains questions but here goes;

1. Are there any other PVCs other than the ones mentioned that i should consider but have perhaps not yet come across.

2. This will be my only vehicle. I see some of these are advertised as being OK as a daily driver. Is this true ? I live in a city and rarely use the car Monday to Friday but the PVC must still be practical for supermarket and the occasional school run.

3. The money will come form what we have saved for home improvements. 3-5 years in the Van while our son is young then sell it and improve the house so decent residuals are a must.

As well as the California i've contemplated the Adria Active and Hymercar Sydney. I like the size of these but a pop up roof means no use in foul weather.

Kind regards In advance
Michael

Jenben

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Uk
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis I
Exp
Since 2007
Welcome to the forum, we started off looking at VW and quickly moved to researching and then buying a PVC.

It will be well worth subscribing to the forum to ask questions and browse all the information on here. :welc:

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
WildAx Pulsar - only 5m

But if you could accept 5.99m length, then you open up a whole vista of choice.

Main difference I see between a 'Campervan' & a 'Motorhome' is the full facility plumbing ie bathroom
[Edit - @jonandshell beat me to it :)]

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
Autosleeper used to make a VW based camper with a loo

Cant remember how many beds etc but it was called a Topaz

As you say they are expensive even second hand

Welcome to the forum.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
After a few VW Californi's over a 10 year period we now have a PVC. My heart will always be with the California but I'm afraid my head went with a pvc. The California is a fantastic vehicle with so many benefits and advantages but as we get older we want an easier life. I still never see a California without my heart missing a beat, it was that good. PVCs are more of a convenience to live with but they are just another camper without distinction..... Sorry if this doesn't help..:)

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Of your shortlist, Globecar Roadscout R. (y) has my vote.

German conversion, lovely built quality, sold as the Pössl in Germany

The Pössl made by Dethleffs range includes four models: Duet, Duet L, For 8 and the bestseller 2Win.

Camping buses of the brands Pössl and Globecar are now manufactured with the stamp "Made in Germany" at Dethleffs in Isny.

Broken Link Removed

Aug 19, 2013
Wells, Somerset
Funster No
MH
Elddis 115
Exp
since 2004
We recently bought a pvc having had a series of campervans (never a VW, way too expensive). We aimed for a 5.4m, shortlisted the Roadscout R, but saw the Trigano Tribute 670 which my wife preferred on the grounds of layout, internal spaciousness, open aspect with the rear doors open onsite, didn't like the shower in the central location in the alleyway, etc. The fact that it was 5.99 metres long I considered was down to me to cope with, as I am the only driver. It is also our only vehicle. So we went for the Tribbie, got a great discount, and are delighted. It was cheaper than the VW, and you get so much more. And the point made about the toilet is very valid. So much more convenient. And you get the shower.

We are lucky in that the shops are only a few mins walk, but use the van for the big shop, anything heavy, and have not had a problem parking at supermarkets etc. Occasionally there has been a difficulty parking for social gatherings and so on, but have always found a way round it with some research with parking authorities or google earth. I really do not think the extra half-metre length is much of a problem. I always think of the cats whiskers approach. If the whiskers go through (the mirrors!) the rest will follow. If you see what I mean.

We particularly enjoy sitting in the rear lounge, doors open wide, overlooking a beautiful view, campsite or aires, and just contemplating.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
The Murvi Piccolo has four travelling seats and you can get a third bed as an optional extra - it is like a stretcher and fits across the front seats. It is 5.5m long but they are fairly rare so finding one might be a struggle.
Broken Link Removed

Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
Hello I'm new here and looking for some advise. After many years of camping in tents in the UK and Europe I have started to consider getting a campervan. I began to look at the obvious models based on a VW and also at the VW California. I was pretty gobsmacked at the price of the VW once you start adding a few extras.

I wasn't aware that the PVC conversion existed until i started to research more thoroughly and began to think this may better suit my needs. We are a family of three, two adults and a five year old.

I'm looking for a 3/4 berth PVC no longer than 5.5 meters. I've googled a few and possible contenders are the Westfalia Amundsen 540, Globecar Roadscout R, Dreamer d43 and Knaus Boxlife amongst others. I'd life a fixed double bed but don't mind something else if it makes more sense. The Boxlife seems interesting.

It would be used for Uk adventures, Scottish wild camping and longer breaks in Europe with an awning. I would hopefully buy used a few years old.

Sorry that my first post contains questions but here goes;

1. Are there any other PVCs other than the ones mentioned that i should consider but have perhaps not yet come across.

2. This will be my only vehicle. I see some of these are advertised as being OK as a daily driver. Is this true ? I live in a city and rarely use the car Monday to Friday but the PVC must still be practical for supermarket and the occasional school run.

3. The money will come form what we have saved for home improvements. 3-5 years in the Van while our son is young then sell it and improve the house so decent residuals are a must.

As well as the California i've contemplated the Adria Active and Hymercar Sydney. I like the size of these but a pop up roof means no use in foul weather.

Kind regards In advance
Michael

"I like the size of these but a pop up roof means no use in foul weather."

My elevating roof with canvas sides has never leaked in foul weather, even heavy driving rain. I only keep the roof closed on site if the wind is gale force. The main question is how easy it is to raise and lower so try that for yourself.

If you mainly use full facility campsites, and are getting a drive away awning, a good quality VW campervan conversion is the still best all-round multi purpose vehicle with up to 4 berths. For wild camping, not so suitable if there are 3 of you. Depreciation of older VW campervans is glacial. A new PVC will drop £10k very quickly.

Tip: Before you order one of those 5.4m PVCs you really should ask the seller to demonstrate how to set up the optional extra bed. Some of them are not worth the bother.

OP
OP
M

Michael_mcr

Free Member
Apr 17, 2017
Manchester
Funster No
MH
Don't Own One Yet
Exp
Thanks very much for all the replies. My other half would not accept a longer van than 5.5 and as she drives more than I, I can't see me convincing her otherwise. I'd hope to avoid some depreciation by buying used but of course accept this as part of ownership. I guess The size and car like
Dimensions is what make the VW so popular.

GeriatricWanderer

Free Member
Feb 1, 2015
Ouagadougou, Burkina Faso, just cos I can!
Funster No
MH
Pop-Top Campervan
Exp
45years
If you're good at finding Hen's Teeth you might like to take a look at something like a Devon Sunrise.
Mine is Toyota (Powervan) based. Pop top, 4 forward facing belted seats, 2 single beds and a number of options for a third (child) bed, full Thetford toilet (not a porta whatsit) and all sub 5m.
I think the nearest modern equivalent is a Wildax Pulsar - which I think may also come in a High Top version.

Welcome to the world of compromises and good luck with your search.

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

Michael_mcr

Free Member
Apr 17, 2017
Manchester
Funster No
MH
Don't Own One Yet
Exp
If you're good at finding Hen's Teeth you might like to take a look at something like a Devon Sunrise.
Mine is Toyota (Powervan) based. Pop top, 4 forward facing belted seats, 2 single beds and a number of options for a third (child) bed, full Thetford toilet (not a porta whatsit) and all sub 5m.
I think the nearest modern equivalent is a Wildax Pulsar - which I think amy also come in a High Top version.

Welcome to the world of compromises and good luck with your search.

Yes I'm definitely beginning to understand everything is a compromise. I do like the look of a Hymercar Sydney based on the SWB Ducato but worry I'd have trouble moving it on as they don't seem so popular.

Kool Kroozer

Free Member
Apr 19, 2014
Cannock Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Hobby Premium
Exp
Always learning
VW or PVC - Have to say a bit of a no brainer really, as what i have seen of VWs they are more of a hip hop fasion thing, but to camp in one even for a weekend ? give me a tent over a VW anyday ? PVC hands down all day every day !
Shower - toilet - washing up area..

Aug 19, 2013
Wells, Somerset
Funster No
MH
Elddis 115
Exp
since 2004
Yes I'm definitely beginning to understand everything is a compromise. I do like the look of a Hymercar Sydney based on the SWB Ducato but worry I'd have trouble moving it on as they don't seem so popular.
I didn't notice the 3/4 berth bit in your posting. Obviously my van no use to you (the third bed is only child-size). I think the thing is, regarding the Hymercar, that you will not be the only person looking for a 3/4 berth. I do not know if it is sold in this country, but Hymers are well thought of and you should find a ready sale. Also, you can buy the bunk type thing across the front seats as an after-market, I've seen it advertised. Or the Tribute T669 which is a four berth with bunk beds across the rear seats. But it is 5.99m. I still think there's little difference between driving a 5.5m or a 5.99m, especially if you fit a reversing camera or beepers.

But good luck with your searches.

Aug 19, 2013
Wells, Somerset
Funster No
MH
Elddis 115
Exp
since 2004
I've just thought, my Bongo was a 4-berth, two down, 2 up in the roof. No toilet or shower, but small and cheap.

Aug 19, 2013
Wells, Somerset
Funster No
MH
Elddis 115
Exp
since 2004
If the Bongo had beds in the roof, some UK converter must offer it on VDubs or others. The Tribies have 4 travel seats, as do most vans now. The Piccolo is a great van, but very dear even 2nd hand. The Autocruise Jazz had a similar layout, same length, but somewhat cheaper. They stopped making it, but you may find one 2nd hand.

Last edited:

GeriatricWanderer

Free Member
Feb 1, 2015
Ouagadougou, Burkina Faso, just cos I can!
Funster No
MH
Pop-Top Campervan
Exp
45years
An earlier post suggested the Autosleeper Topaz.

A very cleverly designed PVC and under 5.5m.

Quite a few on Ebay at various prices so you can get an idea.

I've seen a Topaz with a DIY childs bunk across the cab.

Decisions decisions :)

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
Autosleeper used to make a VW based camper with a loo

Cant remember how many beds etc but it was called a Topaz

As you say they are expensive even second hand

Welcome to the forum.

We had a Topaz and it was great. We only changed because of wanting a bit more day lounging comfort. It had a washroom across the back. BUT I never saw one fitted with overcab bed for extra person although it did have 3 belted seats.
Great to use as everyday vehicle except that it is a high top and so cannot go in height barrier carparks. Sad when I sold it but we like the extra room of the 6.3 m PVC.
VW do keep their value even if more expensive to buy.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I would try not to get hung up on 5.5m maximum length. A standard parking space is 4.8m by 2.4m so a 5.5m will overhang it. As mentioned by others if you can consider 6m the choice of models is much greater.
As endlessly discussed on here width is generally considered more of a limitation than length. A 6m van is the typical size of a delivery van and they go almost everywhere. :)

Rosemary1

Free Member
Jan 23, 2016
Dumfries and Galloway
Funster No
MH
Rapido A class
Exp
1 year
WildAx Pulsar - only 5m

But if you could accept 5.99m length, then you open up a whole vista of choice.

Main difference I see between a 'Campervan' & a 'Motorhome' is the full facility plumbing ie bathroom
[Edit - @jonandshell beat me to it :)]
Ah - but explained it in a much more graphic way!

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!
Of your shortlist, Globecar Roadscout R. (y) has my vote.

German conversion, lovely built quality, sold as the Pössl in Germany

The Pössl made by Dethleffs range includes four models: Duet, Duet L, For 8 and the bestseller 2Win.

Camping buses of the brands Pössl and Globecar are now manufactured with the stamp "Made in Germany" at Dethleffs in Isny.

Broken Link Removed
The Dutch seem to love possl so it must be good value ;)

Feb 10, 2013
plymouth
Funster No
MH
Sprinter
Exp
off and on 30 years
Have a look in the motorhomesame for sale section I have my autocruise jazz for sale on there 5.4mtrs

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!
The campervan vs PVC argument is settled very easily.
When having a poo, do you want to do it on a porta potti in front of the other occupants or in the privacy of a separate washroom?:)
If you want a shower after your poo, the choice is then a glorified plastic bag outside the VW or a nice warm indoor unit in a PVC!! (y)

OP
OP
M

Michael_mcr

Free Member
Apr 17, 2017
Manchester
Funster No
MH
Don't Own One Yet
Exp
My current car is about 4.8 meters long and if I park in my drive the nose sticks out onto the pavement. Anything too much longer I'd struggle to fit on the drive.

Reactions: DBK

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back