Dec 2, 2015
Andover,Hants
Funster No
MH
Lunar Premier H592
Exp
since 2007
Hi all,
this has probably been mentioned before only I can find no help with my searches ? I HAD an underslung spare wheel on my Renault master and there was no way I was able to remove it as the fittings where also underneath,so I got ATS to remove it and I placed in the large side locker. The problem is that the amount of space it takes is about half of my available locker space and I've had to remove my table and chairs to inside the M/M.
My question is does anyone know of a spare wheel carrier that would fit to my towbar/nudge bar? There are numerous fittings on the Australian E Bay but I'm unable to find a supplier in the UK ???
Any help I'm given or any suggestions is much appreciated,thanks in advance,Frank.

mike mcglynn

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jan 6, 2008
St. Helens MERSEYSIDE
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Warwick XL
Exp
A long time now
I saw a homemade version that did the job two steel triangular plates and a length of unistrut bottom plate fitted between towball and towbar I'm sure you could get a steel fabricator to make one up for you two welds and a few drilled holes to suit ,painted up would look fine :)

John & Joan

Free Member
Mar 30, 2010
Darlington
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years this time
I got a quote for a used wheel from Breakers Yard. The quote was the same price a brand new one from the Mercedes dealer but the Breakers Yard dealer wanted postage and packing on top. Again about ÂŁ110 for a 14" wheel.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 10, 2012
London
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I'm a newbe
Have u considered one one these:-
spare wheel lift.jpg

OP
OP
FrankCoffi

FrankCoffi

Free Member
Dec 2, 2015
Andover,Hants
Funster No
MH
Lunar Premier H592
Exp
since 2007
Thanks for all your suggestions so far,the South African one seems a bit far away, I was hopeing to find something in the UK. I could fabricate one myself but I would like to use a proven one if possible. Should have mentioned that I tow as well so need the tow ball.Thanks again for your suggestions,will try and track down one from your suggestion.Regards Frank

Jan 13, 2014
Leeds - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
40+
Hi Frank,you mention you had a underslung carrier? Have you thought about only carrying a spare tyre! Not so heavy to locate underslung and since in most cases a ATS or similar are called out now you always have a tyre which they fit to your existing wheel. Just a suggestion.
Brian

Derbyshire wanderer

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 30, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
15 years
It would not be expensive to have a vertical bracket clamped between the towbar and towball to hold your spare wheel.
They end up looking like a heavy duty bike rack but will do the job perfectly for about ÂŁ100 if you find a local steel fabrication company.

Jul 12, 2013
The City of Henlow
Funster No
MH
Adria Supreme
Exp
Since 1980
You could make enquiries at Watford Engineering in Park Street. They manufacture and fit carriers for spare wheels under some Fiat bodies, or so they told me when I had them fit Air Suspension to my van.

Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
There was a thread started by @Sue yesterday re tyre sealant. Perhaps having this done would save you carrying the spare at all .
Regards Dave

OP
OP
FrankCoffi

FrankCoffi

Free Member
Dec 2, 2015
Andover,Hants
Funster No
MH
Lunar Premier H592
Exp
since 2007
Thanks to you all once again. The spare tyre idea is ok but if underslung,still unable to remove myself and don't want to block narrow roads whilst trying, I have tyre jell in tyres already and I have thought about trying to make a carrier myself. I was hoping that someone would know where I can purchase any already manufactured item.Cheers Frank.

Sep 10, 2012
worcester
Funster No
MH
Sunliving van
Exp
are u thinking of something like this?

Search for landrover spare wheel carrier there will probably be someone near u that can knock up something similar.

OP
OP
FrankCoffi

FrankCoffi

Free Member
Dec 2, 2015
Andover,Hants
Funster No
MH
Lunar Premier H592
Exp
since 2007
Thanks for that Berni, but it looks like I'm going to have to make one myself.Thanks for all your contributions.Regards to all Frank.

Jul 12, 2013
The City of Henlow
Funster No
MH
Adria Supreme
Exp
Since 1980
My appologies I should have said
Watling Engineers Ltd.
88 Parkstreet Village nr. St. Albans
Hertfordshire. AL2 2LR ENGLAND
Ph.: 01727-873661
Fax: 01727-875029
E-Mail: sales@tow-bars.co.uk
They fit the spare underneath and make the units to order.

gwyntaxi

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2009
,Swansea
Funster No
MH
hymer starline 655
Exp
42yearscaravanning&motorhoming
Hi all,
this has probably been mentioned before only I can find no help with my searches ? I HAD an underslung spare wheel on my Renault master and there was no way I was able to remove it as the fittings where also underneath,so I got ATS to remove it and I placed in the large side locker. The problem is that the amount of space it takes is about half of my available locker space and I've had to remove my table and chairs to inside the M/M.
My question is does anyone know of a spare wheel carrier that would fit to my towbar/nudge bar? There are numerous fittings on the Australian E Bay but I'm unable to find a supplier in the UK ???
Any help I'm given or any suggestions is much appreciated,thanks in advance,Frank.
There a many companies out there, PWS for example who would be willing to fabricate a spare wheel carrier which could incorporate the rear nudge bar/towbar, can't believe people would travel through Europe WITHOUT a spare wheel or at least a spare tyre, a can of sealant is about as much use as a handbrake on a surfboard in a blowout, they been proven useless in many a TV programme especially in the case of complete deflation. personally I wouldn't travel in this country outside of my own local limits, say 10 miles or so, without a spare in my car, let alone 4 ton of motorhome.

jtp890

Free Member
May 16, 2014
wakefield
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs 7014
Exp
13 years on n off
Did you get sorted. I fitted the fiat lowering kit as a replacement for the renault carrier, works well, check out Techno,s posts.

Musicboy

Free Member
Jul 18, 2012
United Kingdom
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7096+
Exp
fulltiming since 2003
If ya have a garage ... This was my solution wiv a nice cover ..

Attachments

• 20180114_105248.jpg
    20180114_105248.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 63

BKen

Free Member
Feb 17, 2013
Rojales Spain
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Since 2000
Have the same problem with my Master as you have to get right under the van on your back to get at the spare.As mentioned Technos post on the subject on an other forum is great but you need to be a good DIYer.

Last edited:

jtp890

Free Member
May 16, 2014
wakefield
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs 7014
Exp
13 years on n off
Its not too hard with van on timber ramps. The dethleffs had sufficient clearance between body and chassis to slot carrier bar in , and then fixed with hanger bolts to plate on underside of chassis. I found some steel grid flooring in local scrap yard which worked well. Took me a day and i,m 67 so its do able.

Jan 28, 2016
Stockport, Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Bravaria i740 AClass
I purchased the fiat spare wheel carrier from local fiat dealers and bolted it to unistrut bolted to chassis rails behind rear axle
Unistrut and fittings available at good electrical merchants

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back