Free Member
Nov 11, 2013
london
Funster No
MH
littleun
Exp
newbie and learning every day
This is my near madness. In the UK it's called "Weightshift Microlight" and here in France "ULM Pendulaire". Just as soon as I figure out how to add a photo I will. She is called "The Pipster" and is powered by a two strke Rotax 582cc engine. She can fly at a max speed of 120-130kph with a cruise of 80-100kph. Usually fly at between 1000' and 2000' but can if no restrictions exist fly upto 12,500'. Sometimes described as a motorcycle in the sky. A "Marmite" thing, you'll either love it or hate it. My wife will never climb aboard but regularly take friends for a little flight.

OP
OP
filopastry

filopastry

Free Member
Nov 11, 2013
london
Funster No
MH
littleun
Exp
pipster 600.jpg

OP
OP
filopastry

filopastry

Free Member
Nov 11, 2013
london
Funster No
MH
littleun
Exp

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
In an earlier life, I used to chill out on Cabanas beach in the Algarve.

One season, there was a small willied, look at me, pea brained prat who used to fly his whining, noisy microlite up and down, up and down, up and down... just above the beach... disturbing all the folk trying to enjoy some peace and quiet.

Almost worse than ruddy jet skiers.

Just saying

JJ :cool:

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
Hmm says video is private... you need to change your settings /preference or whatever they are called..
Do you need a licence to fly those things ,and can you do your own services on the motor...,??
Andy.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
A "Marmite" thing, you'll either love it or hate it. My wife will never climb aboard but regularly take friends for a little flight.

I'd like to be a passenger (but probably too heavy - and then maybe I would be sick!)

If I am re-incarnated I'm coming back as an albatross. :)

dabhand

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2014
Staffs
Funster No
MH
Concorde carver E35
Exp
Since 1993
In an earlier life, I used to chill out on Cabanas beach in the Algarve.

One season, there was a small willied, look at me, pea brained prat who used to fly his whining, noisy microlite up and down, up and down, up and down... just above the beach... disturbing all the folk trying to enjoy some peace and quiet.

Almost worse than ruddy jet skiers.

Just saying

JJ :cool:
But jet skiers have bigger willies don't they?:rolleyes:

OP
OP
filopastry

filopastry

Free Member
Nov 11, 2013
london
Funster No
MH
littleun
Exp
JJ. Too true always some who refuse to conform and spoil it for others, we even have them in motorhomes, sometimes.

Andy 63 I'll have a look at it, I'm in the process of adding some nice music, but I'm a novice, and drink, so things take a bit longer for me. Rules for service etc vary with countries, UK are rather strict, France, they don't really care. It's your plane and your choice, BUT, if you have a whoopsie and hurt someone cos you made a mistake, they come after you, big time.

Puddleduck. Depends how "cuddly" you are. My instructor has a very light craft in which he has a passenger payload higher than mine. General rule (French) if you can fit in the seat you're away.

Dabhand. Have you been looking ???

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
This is ( was ! ) Darrell's Ikarus fixed wing microlight .. Now sold on as he is too busy working to give it the time it deserves

P1000315.JPG

OP
OP
filopastry

filopastry

Free Member
Nov 11, 2013
london
Funster No
MH
littleun
Exp
Many thanks, Tucano, if ever you are in our neck of the woods say hello. If the weather is good maybe take a flight. Say hello to "gods country" for me

Aug 15, 2014
Exiled in Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Pilote 600L
Exp
Since 2006
Will certainly be in touch should I ever be in your area. I love to fly in anything but after an accident with my paragliding decided that perhaps best not to be actually flying the things myself.
Damn shame really as I had an idea of life but one accident was one too many and I will be in pain for the rest of my days but then such is life.
Gods country says hello in return (y)

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
I fly this Broken Link Removed: its owned by the club first started in gliders (as did the wife )we soloed in about 1986 swapped to the motorglider about 15 years ago. Had a couple of flights in a microlight one in calvados in a tinny french thing with little performance and a strong smell of petrol.......happy days!

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
This is the sort of glider we used to fly Liz did the best flight 300 kilometers cross country in 6 hours 3 months pregnant!!! Broken Link Removed:

OP
OP
filopastry

filopastry

Free Member
Nov 11, 2013
london
Funster No
MH
littleun
Exp
I had the pleasure of being taken for a ride in a glider in Guttersloh Germany on an Uk military base by a fighter pilot. What an experience, fantastic, scary. I am a bit of a petrol head so if it has a motor, I'm drawn. My friends have some fantastic microlight aircraft, just like mini planes some costing £130K+ but I prefer the open feeling of my trike, and it's alot cheaper. Imagine, sat on a plastic deck chair with a lap strap, you look to the side and there is nothing there but upto 10,000ft of clear air. Blows the cobwebs out.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Had a go at tandem paragliding in the alps 2000 feet up with a French bloke strapped to your back don't know which was more scary!!!

Aug 15, 2014
Exiled in Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Pilote 600L
Exp
Since 2006
The French Alps was where I had my accident, great pity as I was enjoying the flying but it would appear that I wasn't that good at it or I wouldn't have fallen.
End of a dream but lived to tell the tale (y)

Aug 10, 2012
cambridge
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
since2001
The French Alps was where I had my accident, great pity as I was enjoying the flying but it would appear that I wasn't that good at it or I wouldn't have fallen.
mmmmm.....
my microlight instrutor was killed in a microlight

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
4 fatal accidents at our gliding club since I've been flying its dodgy last one a mid air collision with a cessna passing through doesn't matter how skilfull you are

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
When we were at the fab music rally last year in Boston @The Caller we luckily had the opportunity to go up in a microlight for free.,though we did insist on paying some fuel money. Mum went first then me. What a great experience and fun it was.

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
mmmmm.....
my microlight instrutor was killed in a microlight

A CAA examiner who did my Commercial Pilot's Licence examination check was later killed on a training flight in an executive jet at Edinburgh airport.

We also had a mid-air collision at the training school - one aircraft descended above another on the 'dead side' of the airfield. Fortunately both students landed safely.

Geoff

Dec 4, 2014
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Been around the block a few times😉
Brilliant video @jetlag03 thanks for posting :cool:

Diane asked what I'd like for my 50th birthday I spent many hours watching the microlights above our caravan at Caernarfon so I answered a microlight.

She actually thought I was joking and bought me something else :eek:

OP
OP
filopastry

filopastry

Free Member
Nov 11, 2013
london
Funster No
MH
littleun
Exp
Never too late Charlie. At our club we have a 92 year old who still flies, he always has someone beside him these days. As he say "you just never know when the call may come" and he's a hell of a pilot. There are accidents and deaths and so it is in most areas of life. Each has their own personal level of risk with which they are happy, me not a lot, there's a beer waiting in the fridge for me at home and it would be rude not to drink it don't you think?

OP
OP
filopastry

filopastry

Free Member
Nov 11, 2013
london
Funster No
MH
littleun
Exp

Curious, nosy really, what befell you, did the mountains come up a little too quickly per chance, hopefully you weren't too badly hurt. I have crashed, but it was only my wallet and pride that were hurt ...... badly

Aug 15, 2014
Exiled in Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Pilote 600L
Exp
Since 2006
I was on a course to qualify and under instructions. Approx 50 ft from the ground attempted a 360 degree turn, one side of canopy collapsed then not 100% certain of what I was doing collapsed the other side !!
All happened so fast, hit the ground on my back and was completely winded to the extent that I thought I was dead.
Left with a trapped nerve in my left shoulder and neck and my left arm has little muscle tone.
Looking back on it I was really lucky not to have ended up paralysed for the rest of my life.
I was up flying again after a days rest to conquer my nerves but doubt that I will ever conquer my stupidity!!!!

Alex Black

Free Member
Dec 20, 2016
Fife scotland
Funster No
MH
Coach built. Knaus.
Exp
Scince 2010
I used to fly this. Group of 4 of us owned it and I did around 400 hrs in it. Sadly no longer exists. I stopped flying a day after my 40th birthday with a heart issue!

I am busy checking it over and a mate is showing a couple of pals how a plane flies. LOL.. That's me looking for bird nests in the motor..

Good fun that little 4 seater was. Grumman American AA5 Traveller. Loved the thing.

Attachments

• alex's_ plane_2.jpg
    alex's_ plane_2.jpg
    149.4 KB · Views: 40

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread