Hi there (1 Viewer)

Jan 7, 2010
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Hello everyone,
We are new to this lifestyle, one trip behind us and looking forward to the next.
We have a VW camper, small but sufficient. There are so many journeys that we'd like to do, any thoughts on the one place you wouldn't have missed for anything?
Looking forward to joining in the forums,
Violet

Brisey

Deceased RIP
Sep 4, 2007
Sutton on Sea
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2003
Hi Violet and :welcome: to MotorHomeFun. :thumb:

flyingwelcome

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

dellwood33

Free Member
Apr 25, 2009
Newcastle
Funster No
MH
italian crap
Exp
too long
Hiya Violet - welcome to the forum flyingwelcome

Places I wouln't have missed ? Loads in the USA which I would love to revisit in a camper ::bigsmile:. On this side of the Atlantic, we are still exploring & just enjoying it :thumb:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
any thoughts on the one place you wouldn't have missed for anything?
Violet

Well you've arrived with a BANG. What a question. Are you available for cross-examining Tony Blair ?

Well a quick look through the travel directories produced this:

It's very important to me for two reasons.
1. It's in Italy and once you've been there you have to fall in love with the place.
2. Just stand there, look what they built 2000 years ago and know that Caesar walked on that spot.

To get there by MH means you see a thousand other sights to die for as well.

See Rome and Die. Should be see Rome before you Die.

Attachments

• Forum.jpg
    Forum.jpg
    100.8 KB · Views: 19
Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
Hi Violet
Welcome to the site , we're new to motor homing (but not touring) too. We love North Yorkshire, for nearby weekends away but are yet to go over seas in Mizzy .
We have booked ferries for a week away in the Isle of White in May and France for 3 weeks in the 6 weeks holls.
You'll get loads of advice on here, by trawling through the previous posts or just asking. We shall definitely be asking for recommendations nearer our French trip thats for sure! We also going to the Valentines meet organized by Pammy on here , to get to know some fellow motor homers. Looking forward to it.
Bev::bigsmile:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
There are so many journeys that we'd like to do, any thoughts on the one place you wouldn't have missed for anything?
Violet

Got to have two goes at this !

This one, The Alhambra, in Granada, is another with moving historical connections. Muslims get bad press today, but 900 years ago they built this and libraries that saved thousands of years of literature and science for the world. To stand in the peace and quite and try and imagine what it was like when it was built and populated by these people is another moving experience.

Attachments

• Alhambra.jpg
    Alhambra.jpg
    100.4 KB · Views: 11
OP
OP
V
Jan 7, 2010
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Thanks for the welcome.
Hildweller, your comment re Tony Blair made me smile ...he's been a bit out of the news lately and could do with a bit of publicity! We enjoy Italy but obviously have never been in a camper. We would love to do an Italian trip and will certainly think of including Rome.
Ralph and Bev, our one camper trip so far was to France, it went very smoothly.
I really would like to know the favourite places of more people, would it be a good idea to move the question to another forum so it gets more notice?
violet

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
Hi and welcome to the fun Violet, do add to your profile and let us know where in the country you are. don't forget we have a chatroom here, full of nutters, sorry funsters most evenings and on and off all day.where to go well dunfries and Galloway takes some beating for pure splendor in the wild. followed by Devon and Cornwall for stunning sea veiws and coastal walks.
why not join us for a meet/show, one of the biggest is Carmarthen in April
Link Removed
7d8bb0f6.gif

Wildmanfirelogo4-1.jpg

johnp10

Free Member
Oct 12, 2009
North Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
8 years ish
Hi Violet, welcome.
In much the same situation ourselves, and you will get good answers on here.
Brian Hildweller's passion for Italy has rubbed off on us (Thanks, Brian.), so we are going to give it a go next June for our first foreign MH trip.
Just got to figure out where to go in three and a half weeks, but just reading posts seems to answer that also.
John

DESCO

Free Member
Mar 11, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
18 years +12 years tugging
Hi violet :welcomefunster:

Without going abroad you can't go wrong with Scotland, anywhere even with plenty of spots to wild camp.

Best of travels.

Dave :thumb::thumb:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Brian Hildweller's passion for Italy has rubbed off on us (Thanks, Brian.),
John

If you've followed that thread you'll notice it's not just me that has fallen for the place, and that's only on FUN.

Go back a few hundred years and the influence on the UK is quite something. A program I saw late last year traced all of Chippendale's designs to shapes he nicked off the Romans when he did his grand tour. Oh yes, it was Mr Grand Designs, he drew, line for line most of the imposing shapes of UK design/architecture from Roman remains.

There is a downside. I got overdosed on "culture". I couldn't bear to look at another painting after Florence followed by Rome. But a run up the other side to Riccione cured that. Blackpool Italian style, magnificent.

I'm more than ready for my next fix now.

froghopper

Free Member
Nov 29, 2009
winchester
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
before they were invented
that trip

hi and welcome to the mad house, realy hope you enjoy it, 2 trips, down to interlaken, if you stay on any site there you get a free 5 day bus pass, so many places to visit, the rotating cafe, from james bond film, think it is 4, maybe 5 cable cars to top, the caves, and the town, just great, the best of all, le harve, straight down , le mans, talouse, into andorra, then the med at narborne plage, right back up via the cental massiff and the tarn gorge, been a coach driver, cont lorry driver and motorhomer forever,, but this has to be the best i ever did, if you , or anyone wants more details, stops etc,, just ask,, but for you, where ever you go, enjoy, wave to others and travel well, you cant be on the wrong road, just not the one you thought you were on,, :thumb::thumb::thumb::Smile:

OP
OP
V
Jan 7, 2010
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Thanks to all for your ideas,there are so many places out there we would like to go in the camper.
Great to see Scotland being mentioned, we know the South quite well and think Dumfries and Galloway is a wonderful place. Love the Rhins of Kells!
Froghopper, you mention the Central Massif and the Tarn Gorge, if you can give any specific recommendations there we would be grateful,
Feel at home already
Violet

Stephen & Jeannie

Free Member
Aug 27, 2008
Gobowen near Oswestry !!
Funster No
MH
Sold and bought a Caravan
Exp
9 years !!!!
Sorry Mr. Hilldweller !!!!

Let's just keep it simple !! none of this history crap !! (Go to a museum or art gallery here)
Trot off to the Western Isles (Scotland) or the West coast of France (Aquitaine) !!!:thumb:

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Hello Violet and welcome to Fun, the one place we return to is Ile-de-rae a island over the bridge La Rochelle, if you carry bikes with you it simply can't be beaten we think.
If you venture to Rome there is a excellent site Flaminia Village from where we actually cycled to the Trevi Fountain, though probably better to go in on the train just 10 miens. Wonderful site and so convenient.

MikeandCarolyn

Free Member
Mar 18, 2008
Worle,North Somerset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009
The Alhambra, in Granada, is another with moving historical connections. To stand in the peace and quite and try and imagine what it was like when it was built and populated by these people is another moving experience.

Thx for the pic-great reminder of when I just left 'C' and wandered off on my own trying to immerse myself in it all.

allie sommerville

Free Member
Dec 30, 2009
Isle of Wight
Funster No
MH
conversion
Exp
Thanks for the welcome.
Hildweller, your comment re Tony Blair made me smile ...he's been a bit out of the news lately and could do with a bit of publicity! We enjoy Italy but obviously have never been in a camper. We would love to do an Italian trip and will certainly think of including Rome.
Ralph and Bev, our one camper trip so far was to France, it went very smoothly.
I really would like to know the favourite places of more people, would it be a good idea to move the question to another forum so it gets more notice?
violet

We stayed on the site on the Via Aurelia - Camping Roma. Very handy for the centre (bus & metro) but be aware of pick-pockets!

There is a little site in Tuscany - Le Soline - gets my vote for the best in Europe!
::bigsmile:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back