would you rent your motorhome? (1 Viewer)

Would you hire out your motorhome?

• yes through a reputable company

Votes: 2 3.9%
  • absolutely not

Votes: 44 86.3%
  • Maybe to friends/relatives for a reasonable charge

Votes: 5 9.8%

• Total voters
R

RockieRV

Deleted User
ok so we know there are motorhome hire companies out there. Here is just one:

Link Removed

But the question is - would you rent out yours?

I have attached a poll to this thread (I hope) :RollEyes:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Absolutely NO WAY .. :Eeek::Eeek:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Adria 5

Free Member
Jul 23, 2007
Funster No
MH
adria caravan
Exp
hi.....if it wasnt mine :RollEyes: i would say yessssssss !!!!!!!!!
its white its cream it moves i live in its a motorhome what is it!!

NO!!!!!!!!

ray:ROFLMAO:

sammclouis

Account Deactivated
Aug 14, 2007
shropshire
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
not a sniff would i.........its mine and thats that......::bigsmile:

OP
OP
R

RockieRV

Deleted User
So here is a question for you to ponder - do you think our attitude toward this is the norm? Is it because we would all be considered serious motorhomers rather than owners who just have one?

TinaGlenn

Free Member
Aug 7, 2007
Near King's Lynn
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
9 years
After spending more to buy our motorhome than our first house cost us, NO WAY would I lend it to anyone else.

I would worry the whole time it was away, but also we would lose the spontineity to just jump in it and head off if the mood takes us, and we would have to clear all of our stuff out of it as we keep some clothes and toiletries and other stuff in it all the time.

Our insurance wouldn't cover anyone else driving it anyway.

The nearest I have come to "lending" anyone my van is allowing it to be used as a spare bedroom when we have run out of space in the house :Smile:

I think our attitude is the norm, I have been asked by a work collegue if I would consider renting ours to him and his family for a couple of weeks, he thought ÂŁ200 a week would be a fair rate and was a little put out to be told that he might need more than that just to cover insurance and breakdown cover. Sorry but there are lots of hire companies out there who can do this much better than me.
Some toys are not made for sharing :RollEyes:

Tina

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
No No No and NO.
I've spent too much time on the roads watching how the people treat and drive Hire Vans.
Just because it's a Motorhome/RV why should it make any difference if it's not theirs.

Apologies to those people out there who truly respect other people's property.

G

GeorgeTelford

Deleted User
Also there is a bit of an insurance connundrum.

You cannot get an insurance company to cover you're Personal use and Business use (for that is what it will be if you rent it out)

Even if the 3rd party hire company covers it while its on hire you're own personal cover will become nul and void, insurance companies will not allow this kind of dual use as far as they are concerned the vehicle must be one or the other. btw do bear in mind that in the event of a claim insurance companies check a central database which covers who insured the vehicle and any info from calls that have been recorded whith your or the vehicles details......

Minerva

Free Member
Sep 23, 2007
Bolton
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
We are all human, therefore I would never rent out as no one would treat it as their own, so it isnt worth the worry that would go with it,wonderring what condition it would be in on return.

I might just think about it if they put ÂŁ50,000 down as a deposit ::bigsmile:

Bill

theboadacea

Free Member
Oct 1, 2007
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
No er yes, er no, er yes .. perhaps with one condition

Actually I would rent it out if they'd take me with em.

I don't have an issue with a mattress in the garage whilst someone else takes the strain and drives me to a nice, hot holiday destination for 2 weeks :ROFLMAO:

I wouldn't do it else, as I would be homeless! :Blush:

finby

Free Member
Oct 3, 2007
norfolk
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
about 8
Never heard of such nonsence! Rent out my pride and joy - you must be kidding. Perish the thought! The wife has given me permission to say these things (how much did you say I'd get for it?):moon:

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
I know the damage i can do to it being careful and how it takes forever to be repaired:Doh::cry:

It my pride and joy so NO WAY:Angry:

Digger Driver

Free Member
Oct 4, 2007
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
If any of my family wanted to borrow it for a week or so i would have no trouble at all especially my mum and dad!
Anyone else would have more chance of platting fog!:thumb:

I should add!
Its my first Motorhome but i got it dirt cheap and i can pretty much fix anything that goes wrong on them so it wouldn't hurt me as much as most of you!
Seen the pics of your vans and i would be the same!

Last edited:

Suzy

Funster
Jul 19, 2007
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
I would not! I did loan it to my brother on a couple of occasions and each time when it came back there was something not right! Bless him! and I worried, especially when he told me he was going to his mates nightclub in Bury and it would be OK he would park it in the car park and his mate would give him electric hookup. I hardly slept!

Because he was my brother I allowed it but I would never lend it to anyone else!

gillr49

Free Member
Aug 8, 2007
Holbeach Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
A subject close to my heart.

We collected our motorhome late July this year, early August my middle son wanted to take it to Europe for 2 weeks (his wife is a teacher)

We, of course said yes. As someone mentioned at the time 'it would be easier to donate a kidney to him'. If he didn't reply immediately to a text I was in a panic.

But it all turned out well and it was actually very nice to have someone do the test drives for us, but no way will I repeat it (trouble is got 2 more sons!!!!)

:Doh::Doh::Doh:​

Suzy

Funster
Jul 19, 2007
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
A subject close to my heart.

We collected our motorhome late July this year, early August my middle son wanted to take it to Europe for 2 weeks (his wife is a teacher)

We, of course said yes. As someone mentioned at the time 'it would be easier to donate a kidney to him'. If he didn't reply immediately to a text I was in a panic.

But it all turned out well and it was actually very nice to have someone do the test drives for us, but no way will I repeat it (trouble is got 2 more sons!!!!)

:Doh::Doh::Doh:​

You were very brave! I could never lend my son my motorhome No Way :Eeek:

gillr49

Free Member
Aug 8, 2007
Holbeach Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
:winky::winky:No, not brave, just stupid ( son no 2 was clever enough to exploit the offer as well)

But like I said it worked out alright and they sorted out reversed polarity (he's an electrician) so that was helpful. Not an experience I would repeat though.

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
Does it make it easier to lend having a D I L as a teacher?:whistle:

Tony Santara

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Cheshire (ex Mancunian)
Funster No
MH
A class RV
Exp
since 1994
A freind of mine had 3 motorhomes he used to rent you should have seen the damage they came back with not just exterior damage like bumpers cracked but interior as well

nooo chance of renting mine unless they put ÂŁ25000 non returnable deposit on it :roflmto::roflmto:

gillr49

Free Member
Aug 8, 2007
Holbeach Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Not really, it just meant they were tied to when they could have go on hols.

She's lovely but not necessarily that responsible !!! She can match me drinking the red wine though and I've had more practice!!:Doh::Doh::Doh:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back