Which one?! HELP (1 Viewer)

dutchcoles

Free Member
Jan 7, 2010
Funster No
Hi all

I am looking to buy a campervan up to £2500 so that I can start my travels. I am hoping to travel to europe in the summer so I need something reliable. I have been given some advice from a mechanic friend of mine who says that I should only be looking at certain Fiats, Ford or VW but only the newer T4's with water cooled engines. He has discounted alll others and has said that I should only be looking at newer models. However my budget will find difficulty getting there.

However, he has also admited that he knows nothing about campervans and actually dosen't even like them and prefers caravans so I'm guessing his advice may not necessarily be the best.

Any help would be very much appreciated. Is there a year I should go no older than? Which make? What I should be looking for? And anything else you may think useful would be great.

I have been looking at a Ford Glendale but its from 1985 - does that may it a no go and is there certain questions I should ask the seller?
Many Thanks
Stacey

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
Not being rude but should there be another zero on the end there ??

Jim

:Smile:

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
D

dutchcoles

Free Member
Jan 7, 2010
Funster No
Hi Jim

Maybe in a few years time when I'm older but as it is I'm only young and thats the budget that I've got unfortunately. Believe me I would love to have that sort of budget but I guess we all have to start somewhere.

Not being rude but should there be another zero on the end there ??

Jim

:Smile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
I have been looking at a Ford Glendale but its from 1985 - does that may it a no go and is there certain questions I should ask the seller?
Many Thanks
Stacey

have you got a link or any more info ?

damp is the main thing to look for in ANY van, old or new.. look everywhere, in cupboards, around windows and roof lights .. any signs need full investigation and if it smells damp.. walk away..

as already asked .. is your budget only £2.5k ? if so you will be hard pressed to find anything without major work being required

jim

Last edited:
Upvote 0

ourcampersbeentrashed

Free Member
Apr 19, 2008
East London
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
well over 5 years
We have an old 1990 motorhome our previous one was a 1987?

We cant afford anything either newer or larger and are quite happy with ours. Occasionally there is a bargain to be had but please select your vehicle carefully xxxx

We have had this one about 2 years now. We replaced the headlights and indicators for the MOT had new tyres and new batteries. We also replaced at reasonable prices the original starter motor and the original alternator.

When buying older vehicles it is especially important to get them thoroughly checked - before leaving a deposit and before paying in full.

Have a look at any service history and check mileage - some people buy a motorhome expecting to use it a lot, but then it sits for a long time, so there are some genuine low mileage ones out there but, get an HPI and MOT certificate check done.

Apart from the normal vehicle checks for things such as rot and rust, you should get the interior inspected too - Mark at CLS may be able to assist you with this but the gas and water supply and toilet systems should be checked too as well as any sign of damp. Although some of these can sound expensive, especially when on a small budget, remember that £200 on cheques could save you losing £2000 plus.

The older the vehicle the likelihood that replacement parts may not be readily available must also be taken into consideration. Ours is 20 years old this year and we have found some parts are hard to come by and those available can be extremely expensive. Our replacement headlights came to about £200 last year.

Good luck in your search hope you find a real gem xxxx

Upvote 0
OP
OP
D

dutchcoles

Free Member
Jan 7, 2010
Funster No
Thanks Jim

£2.5 K is it I'm afraid. I know i'm not going to get state of the art but I'm happy with one that will run and is reliable. I had heard to look for damp. Would you recommend getting one of those meters you can buy at the DIY stores to take actual measurements.

Another option would be to get a conversion but I'm also heard that's not such a great idea.

Heres a link to the ones I mentioned

Link Removed

Once again thanks for the advice. It really is appreciated.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
D

dutchcoles

Free Member
Jan 7, 2010
Funster No
We have an old 1990 motorhome our previous one was a 1987?

We cant afford anything either newer or larger and are quite happy with ours. Occasionally there is a bargain to be had but please select your vehicle carefully xxxx

We have had this one about 2 years now. We replaced the headlights and indicators for the MOT had new tyres and new batteries. We also replaced at reasonable prices the original starter motor and the original alternator.

When buying older vehicles it is especially important to get them thoroughly checked - before leaving a deposit and before paying in full.

Have a look at any service history and check mileage - some people buy a motorhome expecting to use it a lot, but then it sits for a long time, so there are some genuine low mileage ones out there but, get an HPI and MOT certificate check done.

Apart from the normal vehicle checks for things such as rot and rust, you should get the interior inspected too - Mark at CLS may be able to assist you with this but the gas and water supply and toilet systems should be checked too as well as any sign of damp. Although some of these can sound expensive, especially when on a small budget, remember that £200 on cheques could save you losing £2000 plus.

The older the vehicle the likelihood that replacement parts may not be readily available must also be taken into consideration. Ours is 20 years old this year and we have found some parts are hard to come by and those available can be extremely expensive. Our replacement headlights came to about £200 last year.

Good luck in your search hope you find a real gem xxxx

Thanks so much for the advice. It really is useful and I'll definately look into those cheques. I hadn't realised you could do that!!

You've definately given me food for thought.
:thumb:
x

Upvote 0

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Hi Jim
Maybe in a few years time when I'm older but as it is I'm only young and thats the budget that I've got unfortunately. Believe me I would love to have that sort of budget but I guess we all have to start somewhere.

It's a nice idea but it doesn't work like that, unless you are incredibly lucky.

The phrase I was thinking of was "buying trouble".

The worst case is you spend all your money and then end up in the middle of Europe with a broken engine/gearbox/suspension.

I'd love you to me wrong, but take care.

Upvote 0

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 9
As said dutchcoles, your budjet is a little on the small side but nothing is impossible.

Have you thought about doing yourself a van conversion'? or buying a van conversion as opposed to a coach built?

something along these lines may give you an idea

Link Removed

Link Removed

Link Removed

All I would say is like Brian says, I know money can be tough but buying a van with little mechanical knowledge might lead you to more problems than you could immagine in that price range.
Gail (ourcamper) speaks wisely and offers you good advice but her Tony's good with spanners. are you?
some other considerations for your travel is that if your van is over 20yrs old (which it will be) breakdown cover can be hard when abroad.

You mention european travel, and starting your travels and reliability. If I was brutally honest that package wont come at £2.5k. Why not save again or keep saving untill you can look more realisticly or buy a Link Removed

and then convert it your self as you go along, for example putting some windows in and a few bits and pieces can be cheaper than you think.:thumb: and great fun.

just seen this one. Already ply lined and good condition Link Removed

Last edited:
Upvote 0

imprint

Free Member
Jul 14, 2009
Funster No
Seriously, Tracey, have you thought about camping?

The Senior partner and I have camped for ovr 50 years. We regularly spent 6-8 weeks touring Europe. In our last car, a Mondeo, we put a 4-berth tent, bed, loo (we're mature), table and chairs, cookers +gas, 2 folding bikes, inflatable canoe, and all our clothes and kit. No bike- or roof- racks, and over 40 mpg. We could also go where even the hardiest MHs might hesitate, park anywhere, and get around quicker.

It's only because we knew we would need a van sometime in the future that we've switched, but it's been great so far, and this site is super.

So why motor-home worrying about cash and comfort when you can do a pretty similar job in style??? Save it for maturity...

Good luck, though if you crack on with a van, and keep us all posted

Upvote 0
OP
OP
D

dutchcoles

Free Member
Jan 7, 2010
Funster No
This again has given me food for thought. I don't really fancy a caravan but camping with a tent could def be a possibility and I need to buy a new car anyway so was going to spend most money on the van and then buy a cheap run around. What sort of reg would you recommend of car tho?

Upvote 0

chesterfield hooligan

LIFE MEMBER
May 12, 2009
Hucknall, Nottingham, UK
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
10 years
Hi we bought our camper for £2000 and have already done Malaga twice no prob to be honest I carry plenty of tools and recovery just in case :thumb:

Brian and Marion

Upvote 0

chesterfield hooligan

LIFE MEMBER
May 12, 2009
Hucknall, Nottingham, UK
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
10 years
Hi it is a Sprinter van converted basicly a caravan what someone has fitted into a van works well not by any means a posh jobby no shower ! we get a average of 500 miles on a tank of diesel :thumb:but we are of to France ,Spain,Portugal, for two months this Spring we are at Chesterfield or dont mind traveling if you want to have a look around and a cup of tea :thumb:
Brian and Marion

Upvote 0

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Hi it is a Sprinter van converted basicly a caravan what someone has fitted into a van works well not by any means a posh jobby no shower ! we get a average of 500 miles on a tank of diesel :thumb:but we are of to France ,Spain,Portugal, for two months this Spring we are at Chesterfield or dont mind traveling if you want to have a look around and a cup of tea :thumb:
Brian and Marion

Thats the sort of thing I was talking about. :thumb:

You say your getting a car as well? well your budjet has just increased, get a van and use it as your transport aswell.:thumb:

Upvote 0

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
to be honest I carry plenty of tools and recovery just in case :thumb:

Brian and Marion

To key to cheap motoring. If you have to keep running to a garage you're stuffed.

Trouble is, we're now in the age of the obligatory garage with diagnostics, so what hope for some cheap fun in the future ? Morocco was noticeable for it's many many old Mercedes.

Upvote 0

chesterfield hooligan

LIFE MEMBER
May 12, 2009
Hucknall, Nottingham, UK
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
10 years
To key to cheap motoring. If you have to keep running to a garage you're stuffed.

Trouble is, we're now in the age of the obligatory garage with diagnostics, so what hope for some cheap fun in the future ? Morocco was noticeable for it's many many old Mercedes.

We also plan on Morocco later on but not sure yet, if there are that many old Mercedes there:ROFLMAO:

Upvote 0

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
We also plan on Morocco later on but not sure yet, if there are that many old Mercedes there:ROFLMAO:

Wonderful place from a craftsman's point of view. The things you see being made on the pavement or in tiny little workshops is amazing. Not for them the throw away life style. And if a vehicle does get scrapped it will end up as a cart and goodness knows what else.

Upvote 0

Bulletguy

Free Member
Feb 7, 2008
Cheshire/Staffs
Funster No
The worst case is you spend all your money and then end up in the middle of Europe with a broken engine/gearbox/suspension.
That depends on what you drive over there Brian.

If it's a Ford Transit.....no problem. Germany, France, Belgium, Poland, I even came across Ford garages in Ukraine. And spares are plentiful and cheap.

Upvote 0

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
That depends on what you drive over there Brian.

If the initial budget is £2500 and ( not known ) you aren't a mechanic then even a duff spark plug is a major problem.

Something like a wheel bearing or brake problem would be as disaster on anything.

Upvote 0

robinmclaren

Free Member
Feb 23, 2009
coventry , warwickshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
20+ if you include vw campers and the like
dont be put off buying a standard van and throwing what you need in it as a basic conversion, i had a commer camper van and it never let me down ( how i dont know ) , a vw camper which only had a clutch cable go on it and available anywhere , i did a basic conversion on a freight rover and again never broke down , a good base vehicle is the important thing not what is in it at that sort of budget and vans are great for everyday driving as well
ford transit or fiat ducato you cannot go wrong
assess your need and if it is for camping in got to be better with a van than a tent

Upvote 0

robinmclaren

Free Member
Feb 23, 2009
coventry , warwickshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
20+ if you include vw campers and the like
how about item 110475479247 on ebay looks like it has all the basics and must have at least 1.5k of bits fitted if purchased sepratly, low miles, mot, tax , ideal for touring around in at that price and big enough to not feel cramped if only 1 or 2 people

i just had a quick look so probably better out there with a hard look

Upvote 0
OP
OP
D

dutchcoles

Free Member
Jan 7, 2010
Funster No
Thanks all!!!

Hi Guys

Thanks for all the advice. My mind is much clearer now than it was yesterday morning.

My mindset at the moment is to put my money into a car but a larger one such as a peugeot 806 or something like that (as recommended by my mechanic friend) and camp in that way.

Save up and then get a camper in the future. That way I can still travel but have also a new car that I can drive back and for work which I had to get anyway and only one tax mot and insurance.

Upvote 0

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Hi Guys

Thanks for all the advice. My mind is much clearer now than it was yesterday morning.

My mindset at the moment is to put my money into a car but a larger one such as a peugeot 806 or something like that (as recommended by my mechanic friend) and camp in that way.

Save up and then get a camper in the future. That way I can still travel but have also a new car that I can drive back and for work which I had to get anyway and only one tax mot and insurance.

good choice. all you need now is to shell out for a trailer tent or a folding camper. These are ace, easy to tow and good fun to get you going.:thumb:

Upvote 0
Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
good choice. all you need now is to shell out for a trailer tent or a folding camper. These are ace, easy to tow and good fun to get you going.:thumb:
Good idea, going down the trailer tent route.
This is what we did, started with a little 2 man tent before the kids.
We spent many a night at Malham, when our mates were all out raving:winky:
Moving on to a large cabanon frame tent, once the 3 kids came along.
Swapping that for trailer tent. Easy to tow and store.
Then on to caravans, had four altogether, starting with an old 4 birth , to our last one 6 birth twin wheeler.
Some Motor homers have a knock at caravaner's, ( don't know why ) but i tell you what, they are excellent practice for finding out the perfect layout first time , before eventually buying a motor home , if thats what you eventually wish to do.
Good luck and happy travelling
Bev:thumb:

Upvote 0

pendy

Free Member
Oct 9, 2008
Birmingham
Funster No
MH
Hi Top
Exp
3 yrs
Hi Dutchcoles, have you considered a Mazda bongo?? It's just a thought and probably nearer to your budget for a purposebuilt form of M/H.

regards,Peter.

Upvote 0

barnybg

Free Member
Jan 23, 2010
Bulgaria/Greece/Turkey/Wa
Funster No
MH
coahbuilt
Exp
ON and off 10 years but trav 25
Van,camper or car

NoNoNo,Dutchy,if your hearts on travelling,a cars no good is it? A small van,theres so many out there,still use it for work,take the girlfriend home,winkwink,more room,even if you just pack stuff in it,with portaloo and second hand awning fitted....another way is to buy van and then, scrap a late 80's caravan (£200/£400)with shower/toilet etc fitted,then strip out carefully and fit into YOUR van..a ford transit IS a good choice,if money has been spent on it etc.
Otherwise an old camper with low mileage and dents and bings,as long as she's ok mechanically and sweet inside,they can be seen for £2500,sometimes the older 80's models have been looked after AND are easier to work on than the state of art £25,000 ones !!!and you wont be scared of little accidents.....
As for European camping/motorhoming,aren't you running before you can walk ?and the extra cost ? but why not,you'll love it.
Hope you can use a spanner and a basic knowledge of mechanics,that way cheap motoring,my first camper was a scrap split screen found on a farm,the second a £200 Toyota bed over cab(proper camper)that i painted outside,papered inside and glossed,had new curtains and covers made,mot'd for another £200 and went touring parts of France,sold it on for a bargain price for £800 to a lorry driver (are you out there?)Look for a failed mot one,with failure slip is another way to go,you buy it scrap value-ish,then get the work done by mates or back street garage following failure speck sheet,then take it back to failure garage !
I dont know your age but if young,some youngsters will laugh at you,because what you can buy campervan range compared to street cred car,but they are not interested in travelling are they?make new friends who are into what your into,the amount of dickheads that used to grunt about my 'vans' not knowing that mine where worth much more than their 'go faster show off cars',had to rub their nose in it one day and get a 70's Corvette though and in the Valley's of S Wales :thumb:study ebay for bargains and a good price guide,so its fixed in your head,if you choose a particular vehicle,learn about it first on the internet,knowing what to look out for AND make an offer,bargain for it...good luck.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back