Free Member
Sep 25, 2007
UK
Funster No
MH
5th Wheel
Exp
30+
Does anyone know if it's possible to but awning channel by the metre?

It's dammed cold under the rig so I'm thinking of fixing awning channel all the way around the bottom of the rig (approx 19 metres) so that I can fix a full wrap round skirt quickly and neatly and hopefully improve the temp' under the rig enough to stop the small stub pipe from tank to pump freezing up.

ps
I haven't even bothered ringing my local dealer yet (Spinneys-Cheshire) as I'm sure that even if they do do it, they'll wanna charge me a million quid a foot!

Ta

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Also available in long rolls 10 mtr (Plasic)
And 3 meter legnths (Aluminium) possibly longer in rolls too
Posted via Mobile Device

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
zaskar

zaskar

Free Member
Sep 25, 2007
UK
Funster No
MH
5th Wheel
Exp
30+
Also available in long rolls 10 mtr (Plasic)
And 3 meter legnths (Aluminium) possibly longer in rolls too
Posted via Mobile Device

Ooooooo! Where from? :thumb:

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Ooooooo! Where from? :thumb:
Link Removed for 5Mtr Aluminium, to do it proper you will need screw cover infill strip also:thumb:
Plasic sort sold by the meter at caravan centres off large rolls, should be availble to buy full roll
From memory yours is a newish 5vr, id go the extra and use the ally, but plastic is easyer if you have to swerve around an odd shape
Geo
Posted via Mobile Device

Munchie

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2007
Camping Les Vigeres
Funster No
MH
Font Vendôme
Exp
Since 2004
Does anyone know if it's possible to but awning channel by the metre?

It's dammed cold under the rig so I'm thinking of fixing awning channel all the way around the bottom of the rig (approx 19 metres) so that I can fix a full wrap round skirt quickly and neatly and hopefully improve the temp' under the rig enough to stop the small stub pipe from tank to pump freezing up.

ps
I haven't even bothered ringing my local dealer yet (Spinneys-Cheshire) as I'm sure that even if they do do it, they'll wanna charge me a million quid a foot!

Ta

Yep most of the m/home / caravan shops sell it by the length ::bigsmile:

TonyIsh UK

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Funster No
Just a passing thought, could you use studs and buttons to fix a skirt.

Save a lot of tug and hassle trying to pull a awning when the channel is full of road muck.

Link Removed

Rgds

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Just a passing thought, could you use studs and buttons to fix a skirt.

Save a lot of tug and hassle trying to pull a awning when the channel is full of road muck.

Link Removed

Rgds
He could it would be faster and easyer but,
if I know Paul what he calls a draught skirt we would call an AIR LOCK:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
Posted via Mobile Device

OP
OP
zaskar

zaskar

Free Member
Sep 25, 2007
UK
Funster No
MH
5th Wheel
Exp
30+
He could it would be faster and easyer but,
if I know Paul what he calls a draught skirt we would call an AIR LOCK:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
Posted via Mobile Device

L.M.A.O :ROFLMAO: I'll take that as a compliment.........why do I always make life dificult for myself!:ROFLMAO:
I blame Dad!!!!!!!

"if a jobs worth doing............blah blah blah.........."

Cheers Dad!:ROFLMAO:

Dreamchaserrv

Free Member
Jan 31, 2008
Wherever we park
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
9 Years
Hi Zaskar I have self adhesive velcro holding the skirt along the bottom of my Cayman. The skirt is on one side in the safari room tucked up under the bottom of the lockers so that when the locker door closes it covers over the velcro,it works a treat The weather does not bother it if applied properly and sealed along the edges, Simples, Available at B & Q soft side onto the body.:thumb::thumb:

Deleted User
In last years big freeze the same pipe on our Ultralite froze up, I used foam pipe insulation plus a wrap around layer of thin aluminium 'super' insulation available from screwfix, this did the trick last year but with -18 in rural cheshire I would not be sure.I also wrapped this insulation around the waste manifold, secured with cable ties with limited success but did not have the time to fine tune.
Our Ultralite is only single glazed and condensation, as well as cold, can be a problem, I have made up some panels from this insulation to cover some of the windows on the outside in extreme situations. These do not look too bad, not especially pretty either, but work very well, similar material is available at B&Q in smaller rolls.
We have just returned to our 5er in Spain after being frozen up in a static van nr Manchester for most of the last three weeks and the snow has followed us here to the Costa Azahar!!!!!!

OP
OP
zaskar

zaskar

Free Member
Sep 25, 2007
UK
Funster No
MH
5th Wheel
Exp
30+
In last years big freeze the same pipe on our Ultralite froze up, I used foam pipe insulation plus a wrap around layer of thin aluminium 'super' insulation........

Problem I've got is that, as far as I can see, the pipes run outside/under the rig but are hidden behind the "plasticised" hesian membrane stapled underneath! I've lagged what I can actually see, using the method you describe, but it still freezes up. Managed to thaw the pipes out last night by crawling underneath with a hairdryer (that was fun in minus 12 after work!!!!!!!!) and got everything running for the night. Had a nice hot shower, washed the pots etc, but after about 2 hours, she froze up again and needless to say, this morning before we left for work at 6.30am, she was solid!!!!!
Whether I like it or not (and I DONT!!!!!!!!) I'm gonna have to remove the membrane, trace all the UNLAGGED pipes:Angry: and get some foam on them cos the rockwool insulation behind the membrane, although good enough for underfloor insulation, simply isn't hacking it for the pipes that they've run in the voids between the chassis rails!
Must addmit that for a 30K rig, I'm a bit disapointed with the level of insulation! We're lovelly and warm INSIDE, but not enough thought has been put into the insulation of the exterior pipework by the manufacturers. I also dont like the fact that the grey and black dump valves are completely exposed and will be making some sort of insulated blanket for them which I can "press stud" in place when on site.

Cette lat vie::bigsmile:

Potential Fulltimers who will be winter based in the UK might like to think about this sort of thing:Cool::thumb:, having said that, these temps are pretty rare for the UK.:Smile:

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back