Jan 4, 2010
Sardinia or UK
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
a while
Hi All,

I will be heading back down to italy within the next week or so, m'thinks i should seriously consider a set of snow chains, but how many do i need?
I have a transit based van with rear twin wheels...do i just get a std set and fit on one wheel each side?
Regards
Roy

Landy lover

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2009
Zummerzet
Funster No
MH
27ft Eurolight
Exp
Camping Caravaning now 5'ering 49 years
One pair fitted to rear outer wheels only - if you intend to use them and keep them pay for the best as they will last for a lifetime and can be repaired if necessary - if you are only taking them to comply with the law go cheap but they will wear out quickly or break - only use when essential and take off as soon as possible otherwise they will destroy the tyres - driving on tarmac with chains on is a real no no

Upvote 0

AuldCodger

Free Member
Nov 25, 2009
?
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
Hi Roy,
Sorry I missed your post yesterday, would suggest that unless chains are legally required at your destination you may want to consider snow tyres.
Several years ago I purchased a set and used them winters only, fantastic, and none of the messy hastle of fitting/removing chains. Friends who have used chains find that even moderate usage on tarmac quickly grinds them down and you do not want to see the results to vehicle bodywork if a chain fails.
Enjoy your travels.
::bigsmile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Sundowners

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 30, 2007
Suffolk/Central Portugal
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
37 years
My 'Old Man' told me to stay away from places where I would need chains (far too cold for one thing):ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: Maybe I should have told my son (upmarket hippy):ROFLMAO:
So I have NO knowledge of them, but i have seen writeups on other systems that claim to be easier to fit and better??.
From my time in Norway I would agree with AuldCodger, if you can justify studded tyres, they will save VERY cold fingers and possibly other problems.
Nigel & Pamala

Upvote 0

pinkgin

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2008
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
N & B Arto
Exp
15 + years,
I just wondered if studded tyres satisfy the countries where chains are compulsory , also if they are legal to use everywhere ??
Nigel

acually Nigel in some parts of the continent they insist on snow tyres and havng chains:whatthe:

never used the snow tyres before but have used my chains.

I woulnd't worry about Shayne, he can just melt the snow by vreathing on it::bigsmile:

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back