Free Member
Jun 20, 2009
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
3 years
This weekend was exciting to say the least!

On way home the engine management light came up with a loss of power ( I presume 'limp mode' came on), anyhow was coming back from Moreton in the Marsh and just about made it up the hill at Bourton on the water.

Therefore no way I was going to make it up Fossebridge, which for those of you that dont know is a very steep hill!

Anyhow, pulled over into a layby and phoned RAC, on phone for 25 minutes before got through. Long story short, when they eventaully came out couldnt do anything as they had no diagnostics, so had to make rest of journey home on the back of a low loader.

Got the van down to Bristol Street Commercials on Monday and today they are telling me that the throttle valve has gone and with labour + VAT its going to be £470, oh and by the way its not covered by the warranty .

As this is a Swift kon tiki it has a 3 year dealer warranty and as the van is 2 years 3 moths old ( only done 5000 miles) it obviously has some time to run.
Therefore has anyone out there suffered a similar experience with the throttle valve and if so did you get it covered under the warranty?

Plus I did see something on the fiat forum about you can re teach the ECU sometimes with regard to this problem?

Thanks

Dave & Jan

Sep 21, 2007
Kings Ripton, Huntingdon
Funster No
MH
RP Rebellion 2 2024
Exp
Since 2007

On way home the engine management light came up with a loss of power ( I presume 'limp mode' came on), anyhow was coming back from Moreton in the Marsh and just about made it up the hill at Bourton on the water.

Therefore no way I was going to make it up Fossebridge, which for those of you that dont know is a very steep hill!

Anyhow, pulled over into a layby and phoned RAC, on phone for 25 minutes before got through. Long story short, when they eventaully came out couldnt do anything as they had no diagnostics, so had to make rest of journey home on the back of a low loader.

Got the van down to Bristol Street Commercials on Monday and today they are telling me that the throttle valve has gone and with labour + VAT its going to be £470, oh and by the way its not covered by the warranty .

As this is a Swift kon tiki it has a 3 year dealer warranty and as the van is 2 years 3 moths old ( only done 5000 miles) it obviously has some time to run.
Therefore has anyone out there suffered a similar experience with the throttle valve and if so did you get it covered under the warranty?

Plus I did see something on the fiat forum about you can re teach the ECU sometimes with regard to this problem?

Thanks

Dave & Jan

Hi Dave & Jan

To answer your question..yes, we had the throttle valve go on ours not too long after we bought it ( ours is 07 ).:RollEyes: All repaired under our two year warranty luckily enough. I tell ya, these x250's have alot to answer for, so many problems we've had and still got.:Angry:

steve

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Hi,

Not too sure about the third year, Fiat may be using the old fair wear and tear get out, BUT the switch is busted!

Try emailing Andy at Swift on aspacey@swiftleisure.co.uk he may have some ideas.

Good luck

Peter

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 18, 2010
Airdrie Scotland
Funster No
Exp
6 years and 20 years as a tugger

Thanks

Dave & Jan

Dave exact same problem Man light came on it did not go into limp mode drove to Fiat Dealer and as you Throttle vave bust only done 5000 miles in 3rd year warranty does not cover local fiat dealer told me to contact Fiat have done and await there response did you find out about the e.c.u

Bill

OP
OP
D

dave & Jan

Free Member
Jun 20, 2009
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
3 years
Bill,

I spoke to Bristol Street commercials about 're educating the ecu' when it went in and they said they tried, but it didnt work.
Therefore seems to be a known process and not to say it wont work on yours.

We have now moved our previous MH on.
We became utterly fed up with worrying about water ingress ( design fault and bodged fix, water still gets into engine bay) which can and does affect other components in the engine bay. Juddering ( according to Fiat it doesnt exist on the 3 ltr!?) and early failures of clutch / gearbox as a result. ( these are in the main low mileage vehicles, so lets just wait until the warranty runs out and we're out of the woods, eh Fiat!)
And then major components failing early, as in our case and they are not covered under the warranty.

We have just bought another brand new motorhome and I haven't and would not buy another Fiat.
So goodbye to us as a customer and I'm sure others have and will follow suit.

Our new MH is on a 2.5 Ford 140 psi and it drives like a dream, has no water ingress, doesnt judder in reverse.
I drive circa 25k miles p.a. with my job so know what suits me in terms of comfort, driving experience etc and I can tell you that the Ford is as good , if not better than the Fiat.

Sorry if I'm carrying on and sound a bit bitter, all we want to do is enjoy our hard earned MH and not have to worry about whats going to happen next.
Hopefully now we have moved on we can do so.

Good luck to you, hope you get it resolved

Dave & Jan

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
The sale of goods act applies to your motorhome I think it should be paid for by Fiat not you as this is not fair wear and tear and is a common fault seek advice from Citizens advice or similar also have YOU contacted Fiat and complained?

OP
OP
D

dave & Jan

Free Member
Jun 20, 2009
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
3 years
The sale of goods act applies to your motorhome I think it should be paid for by Fiat not you as this is not fair wear and tear and is a common fault seek advice from Citizens advice or similar also have YOU contacted Fiat and complained?

Hi, we did complain directly to Fiat and also involved Swifts customer service manager who spoke to Fiat too, but to no avail.

evans88

Free Member
Jul 8, 2008
South Devon
Funster No
MH
Hi Top
Exp
So what does the Swift/Fiat 3 year warranty cover in the third year?

warwick

Free Member
Sep 16, 2008
Funster No
I would go back and argue some more with Fiat, valves don`t suffer from wear and tear within that timescale or mileage, ask them to be specific on the grounds they are refusing your claim, and above all be persistent, very persistent and don`t hang up until you are satisfied!!!!!!!

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
It would seem that this is quite common and usually due to water ingress into the throttle body Fiat will try to duck out of paying saying only powertrain is covered you have rights under the sale of goods act it does not matter what Fiat say, I would say contact citizens advice you can claim they will help you:thumb:

Jan 18, 2010
Airdrie Scotland
Funster No
Exp
Warranty 3rd year

It would seem that this is quite common and usually due to water ingress into the throttle body Fiat will try to duck out of paying saying only powertrain is covered you have rights under the sale of goods act it does not matter what Fiat say, I would say contact citizens advice you can claim they will help you:thumb:

You are quite right i have contacted (Citizens Advice)and as you say this is not wear&tear based on age and milage of the Vehicle and they agree i was advised to give fiat time to respond to my e/mail of complaint 8/9 working days and in the meantime get a independent inspector to check and report on any future problems with Water ingress. They also stated that Fiat and Swift as they are the selling agents could and should be charged under the (Sale of goods act not fit for purpose)as they have admited and indeed recalled the vehicle to fix this designe fault (and there botched attemps at repair)the pity is that the Habitation side and service from Swift has been first class,but as selling agents and indeed are still selling these Models the are then heavily involved.P.S i would ask that if there are any members out there that have had similer problems to contact me by way of a PM i will need the Model/Year/Milage/Problem/any communication from Fiat/Swift i will then compile a report and pass on to all Media Remember all it takes is one voice to stand up and others will follow

Regards

Bill

OP
OP
D

dave & Jan

Free Member
Jun 20, 2009
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
3 years
You are quite right i have contacted (Citizens Advice)and as you say this is not wear&tear based on age and milage of the Vehicle and they agree i was advised to give fiat time to respond to my e/mail of complaint 8/9 working days and in the meantime get a independent inspector to check and report on any future problems with Water ingress. They also stated that Fiat and Swift as they are the selling agents could and should be charged under the (Sale of goods act not fit for purpose)as they have admited and indeed recalled the vehicle to fix this designe fault (and there botched attemps at repair)the pity is that the Habitation side and service from Swift has been first class,but as selling agents and indeed are still selling these Models the are then heavily involved.P.S i would ask that if there are any members out there that have had similer problems to contact me by way of a PM i will need the Model/Year/Milage/Problem/any communication from Fiat/Swift i will then compile a report and pass on to all Media Remember all it takes is one voice to stand up and others will follow

Regards

Bill

Hi Bill, we also contacted Citizens Advice and they said the same.

We also have the "faulty part" so will probably go down the same route as you.

They think that they can just brush us aside, and get away with it.:Angry:

Jan 18, 2010
Airdrie Scotland
Funster No
Exp
Warranty 3rd year

Hi Bill, we also contacted Citizens Advice and they said the same.

We also have the "faulty part" so will probably go down the same route as you.

They think that they can just brush us aside, and get away with it.:Angry:

Dave
I gathered from your last post that you sold the Fiat and have a Ford if you have the part very good also i have asked for the code print out. Since my last post Fiat have phoned and they are going to speak to the local dealer to try and bring the cost down i will keep you posted The thing that annoys me most is that the Eng on my model 3lt runs and drives like a dream

Bill:Angry:

OP
OP
D

dave & Jan

Free Member
Jun 20, 2009
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
3 years
Dave
I gathered from your last post that you sold the Fiat and have a Ford if you have the part very good also i have asked for the code print out. Since my last post Fiat have phoned and they are going to speak to the local dealer to try and bring the cost down i will keep you posted The thing that annoys me most is that the Eng on my model 3lt runs and drives like a dream

Bill:Angry:

So did ours, we thought it was the best thing since slice bread! but after the engine management light came on and after the "fix" it seemed to surge, seemed different. We were very upset that we felt we had to p/x our lovely motorhome.:cry: - but we couldn't stand the worry of what might happen/go wrong in the future and also lost faith in the motorhome. Trying to find a new m/home that wasn't on a Fiat was very difficult to say the least.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back