Free Member
Sep 25, 2007
UK
Funster No
MH
5th Wheel
Exp
30+
Mum and Dad have lived in Calpe (near Benidorm) for about 5 years now.
Needless to say, ffi and I miss them terribly but fully understand why you would want to spend your twilight years in a hot country rather than a sub zero one!::bigsmile:

Until recently, we've always swopped photos using Yahoo mail but have found that its become absolutely PANTS! re capacity for sending photos.:Sad:

What I'd like to do is set up something like a "fliicker" or "photobucket" account so that they can view my photos over there.
My biggest problem is that Dad is a notorious tight s*d::bigsmile: and will probably complain about the "on line" minutes being used up whilst viewing.

QUESTION.

So, what would be the best thing for me to set up that would involve minimal cost at thier end?
Is it possible for me to put, say, 30 odd photos into a folder or something so that they can quickly download them and view then "offline".

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
So, what would be the best thing for me to set up that would involve minimal cost at thier end?
Is it possible for me to put, say, 30 odd photos into a folder or something so that they can quickly download them and view then "offline".

Photos are BIG if you want decent quality. Uploading is SLOW. You are on a loser.

So why not just post a CD/DVD ?

OP
OP
zaskar

zaskar

Free Member
Sep 25, 2007
UK
Funster No
MH
5th Wheel
Exp
30+
Photos are BIG if you want decent quality. Uploading is SLOW. You are on a loser.

You recon that's the way to go ?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

derekfaeberwick

Free Member
Dec 1, 2007
Berwick
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
9 Years
That's what I was going to suggest, Seemples.
meerkat.jpg

johnsandywhite

Free Member
Jul 29, 2007
Doncaster/Spain
Funster No
MH
'A' Class RV &
Exp

:Cool: I agree apart from making and posting a CD/DVD. Photos ARE VERY BIG when they are taken via a digital camera. Why not CUT THEM DOWN TO SIZE more suitable for sending via email. Works for me. :thumb:

ArenqueRojo

Free Member
Nov 10, 2008
Anywhere in Europe, so fa
Funster No
MH
A-class
Exp
13 years
Why not CUT THEM DOWN TO SIZE more suitable for sending via email. Works for me. :thumb:
I agree. But you will probably want to use a utility to resize a batch of photos and there are some that don't carry all the original data with them. Having gone to the trouble of getting a phototracker to put the GPS in the EXIF and then found that the resizer threw the data away:Eeek: I started using Photoshop to do the job, which is a pain and then found Link Removed which does a very good job and is free.
Another free package which might be of use to you is www.my.photo.to which is an easy way to put albums on the web if you don't need print sizes. You get a URL all to yourself - mine is http://Arenquerojo.photo.to and you are welcome to have a look. It is free but, off course it doesn't give the offline viewing you wanted but they can download whatever they want to keep.
Hope these help
Patrick

Oct 1, 2007
Kirby cross further from londin
Funster No
MH
Between Motor homes
Exp
since 08
of course you could both use picasa
and have the same names and passwords
you could load 1 side of the channel and download tother picasa would assume its you and you move quick
have a look in the 365 project (we all use the same name and password) that one is a paid for but there is a free one allows you about 500 pics click on my link at the bottem to see my old rubbish nil charge storage just type picasa into search :thumb:

derekfaeberwick

Free Member
Dec 1, 2007
Berwick
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
9 Years
Hey, that sounds good Tofo, you are saying you can have a whole circle using the same picasa web site? Must look closer tomorrow, thanks.:thumb:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
You recon that's the way to go ?

In the spirit of FUN, just the opposite of what you asked, but yes.

Uploading is ten times slower than downloading, so much worse for you than your dad.

Of course it does depend on the quality you want to send him. But top quality would take ages. The quality you see on here isn't too bad.

I guess the crunch is "My biggest problem is that Dad is a notorious tight s*d::bigsmile: and will probably complain about the "on line" minutes being used up whilst viewing." If that means he's paying by time/volume then CD/DVD wins, it cost next to nothing and he can view them FOC whenever he feels like it.

Oct 1, 2007
Funster No
MH
Between Motor homes
Exp
since 08
Hey, that sounds good Tofo, you are saying you can have a whole circle using the same picasa web site? Must look closer tomorrow, thanks.:thumb:

thats what the 365 project runs on those in the loop use the same password and user name

my own site is the basic no cost no advert one
just so you can see the differance

if you wish to try it type in picasa to your search thingy (its a google product i use my aol sign on name and a memorable password )
just beware it finds all photos on your puter and copies them to another album
but only uploads those that you choose

i believe you can download them as well
as they would appear to be your photos

no real problem i now use this program rather than the camera products just stick the chip in and load up

derekfaeberwick

Free Member
Dec 1, 2007
Berwick
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
9 Years
thats what the 365 project runs on those in the loop use the same password and user name

my own site is the basic no cost no advert one
just so you can see the differance

if you wish to try it type in picasa to your search thingy (its a google product i use my aol sign on name and a memorable password )
just beware it finds all photos on your puter and copies them to another album
but only uploads those that you choose

i believe you can download them as well
as they would appear to be your photos

no real problem i now use this program rather than the camera products just stick the chip in and load up

I've used Picasa for years but the loop thing is new to me, must read there forums some time.:thumb:

thehutchies

Free Member
Aug 31, 2007
The Wheelèd Shed
Funster No
MH
Exp
Whoa! Back up the truck, you photodweebs!

If it's just for Mum and Dad to coo over a few family snaps, the DVD/CD is the way to go.

Burn a few hundred photos to a dvd every few weeks. They can look at them on a computer or television.

Give it six months and they'll be sick of seeing them anyway and will just ask for births, marriages and deaths.

Problem solved.

Oct 1, 2007
Funster No
MH
Between Motor homes
Exp
since 08
the orig posters prob was one of cost and speed downloading received email photos
as was said photos were yahooed to each other
and took a long while to download
posted to explain my understanding of original question:thumb:

and was looking for an alternative
and cheaper route we are just suggesting those available alternatives
no techy issues
:thumb:

i know which way to point a camera
and which button to snap them but thats it:Blush:

much the same as the puter turn it on and buy stuff visit forums
got a pencil and paper to do sums on:Cool:
hoping you see this as an informative answer and not a nit pick :thumb:

the loop is my collective name for those partaking in the 365 project
edit the chip is the bit that stores pics on the camera and is takenout to put into an available
slot on your puter or a card reading thingy

Last edited:

thehutchies

Free Member
Aug 31, 2007
The Wheelèd Shed
Funster No
MH
Exp
All good points, Tofo.

The bit I concentrated on was this:

One can put a thousand photos on a dvd and they can be viewed and manipulated at leisure at no cost.

His Dad's a tight sod! ::bigsmile:

Oct 1, 2007
Funster No
MH
Between Motor homes
Exp
since 08
All good points, Tofo.

The bit I concentrated on was this:

One can put a thousand photos on a dvd and they can be viewed and manipulated at leisure at no cost.

His Dad's a tight sod! ::bigsmile:

dads a tight sod though
an he wouldnt want to pay postage i assume

buy a dvd his end download em there
sorry if i sound a bit of a pedant but others are probably learning at the same time:thumb:

OP
OP
zaskar

zaskar

Free Member
Sep 25, 2007
UK
Funster No
MH
5th Wheel
Exp
30+
Thanks for all your comments and help guys, it really is much appreciated.:thumb:

I think I'll try the Picassa route first, with us both sharing username/password and see how it goes.
If Pop winges to much, I can always fall back on the CD/DVD option!:ROFLMAO:

Cheers

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back