Internet (1 Viewer)

busydaffodil

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
Funster No
This is probably going to sound REALLY stupid.

I love the internet (and facebook) so how do I get internet when wildcamping when not parked in a wifi hotspot??
Have wifi on my laptop but is there another way?
How expensive is it too??

OP
OP
busydaffodil

busydaffodil

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
Funster No
Please forgive my ignorance.
£29 buys the dongle which has £15 already installed.

Now, this is where I lose it.
What usage am I allowed per month before incuring charges?

Where would I buy one of these of fine out abotu dongle deals (that sounds rude!!)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Please forgive my ignorance.
£29 buys the dongle which has £15 already installed.

Now, this is where I lose it.
What usage am I allowed per month before incuring charges?

Where would I buy one of these of fine out abotu dongle deals (that sounds rude!!)

Just put mobile broadband into google and you'll get all the big names making you offers.

Just like mobile phones you can buy a contract or you PAYG. And just like a mobile, you will go places you can't get a signal.

It's much more expensive than landline broadband but if all you want if FUN then reasonable in the UK. Rip off Big Time abroad.

1G should last a month for emails and FUN, but not a week if you go for loads of pictures ( 200 pictures will cost you 1G as a round figure ).

I'm afraid Peter is a bit behind, Vodafone does time out in 30 days now. So with all PAYG if you by 1G of time you either use you 1G in less than 30 days or lose the balance.

Upvote 0

wildbri

Free Member
Dec 16, 2009
Funster No
Its a bit like "how long is a piece of string"? With that Vodaphone pay as you go you get a 1gig allowance, which lasts until you use it or 270 days before it expires. My son bought me one for xmas and it works quite well, but this will depend on the coverage where you are parked. I have done some testing on the cost, for me and I was only surfing and reading emails and such like. and not downloading things like music or videos. I timed it has using
14 pence worth per hour, so say 20p to allow for some pics, thats 75 hours ( I think).

I think that Vodaphone may have discotinued this as from 1st Jan as it as disapeared from their web page, they would prefer to give you 3gig for the £15 voucher but this only lasts for 30 days so it would cost you £15 per month!! not such a bargain. There are still some of the 1gig ones on ebay, whether the voucher is still current I dont know, you would have to enquire. regards bri:Cool:

Upvote 0

BigJohn

Free Member
Aug 26, 2009
Kiveton Park, S Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Low profile.
Exp
3 yrs long, long ago
I have a Vodafone BlackBerry which seems to me to be a good solution.

Unlimited internet.
500 mobile minutes/month.
Unlimited landline calls
Free handset.

£29 (approx) per month.

I was paying slightly more on the old contract without the BlackBerry facilities.

Oh, and Satnav.

Upvote 0

barbt

Free Member
Aug 3, 2009
KENT
Funster No
Exp
two
3-mobile broadband will give you a free dongle ( their super duper new version too) and for £10 a month you will get enough broadband for 300 emails and a few hours surfing. We have used it for the last couple of years and it works in the Scottish Highlands when we are wilding so will probably work almost everywhere.

Upvote 0

gunerdoo

Free Member
Oct 16, 2009
Funster No
MH
ROMAHOME
Vodafone K3565 Dongle

The K3565 dongle is 1gb and lasts awhile
The K3565R is the latest one which has 3gb but only last 30 days
The K3565 is still on sale on Amazon and Sold by Vodafone for £29 Delivered
The Credit is explained " HERE " for both the K3565 and the K3565R ::bigsmile:

Upvote 0

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
My T-Mobile dongle contract is up next month so I got an unlock code (free) from them and took up the free SIMs offer from Three.

With every top-up (£10 initially on registering credit card but from £5 subsequently) I get a 150MB allowance which has a 90 day life. The credit never runs out (so long as you use the device at least once every 180 days) and can be used to buy Internet access bundles including 50p for one day and £2.50 for a week - enough to cover us for use when away probably.

I'm also transferring to PAYG on T-Mobile but still waiting to see what deals are available.

My cell phone is Vodafone PAYG. I can link to the netbook using USB or Bluetooth and access the Internet for 50p per day or (now I have the unlock code) put the SIM in the dongle and use it that way for the same 50p charge.

With all that lot I should be able to obtain a decent signal wherever we are away in the van.

Graham

Upvote 0

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
I have to say I'm watching these threads like an ever more-confused hawk. We bout a Vodie dongle before Xmas, before we had seen anyone starting to say anything about Vodie going 'the same way as all the others'. As yet the box remains unopened as we have broadband at home and due to both inclement weather and doubts as to the suitableness of the m'home tank insulation etc (our first year, we'll get there!) we haven't used it since then, hence not tested the dongle. Far as we know from discussion in shop, we got 180 days to start using it.

However - ours says on the printed label on the box not 'K3565' or even 'K3565R' but "K3565 Refresh" - are we likely to be well and truly stuffed?

Upvote 0

gunerdoo

Free Member
Oct 16, 2009
Funster No
MH
ROMAHOME
I have to say I'm watching these threads like an ever more-confused hawk. We bout a Vodie dongle before Xmas, before we had seen anyone starting to say anything about Vodie going 'the same way as all the others'. As yet the box remains unopened as we have broadband at home and due to both inclement weather and doubts as to the suitableness of the m'home tank insulation etc (our first year, we'll get there!) we haven't used it since then, hence not tested the dongle. Far as we know from discussion in shop, we got 180 days to start using it.

However - ours says on the printed label on the box not 'K3565' or even 'K3565R' but "K3565 Refresh" - are we likely to be well and truly stuffed?

I am only guessing but I think yours is a K3565R and if it is ? it will only last 30 days after you first use it. Cant you take it back to the Shop and kick up a fuss and say you wanted a K3565 NOT a K3565R. and if you get your money back go on Amazon, and get
a K3565 which could last a lot longer than 30 days depending on your usage :thumb:
I am sure the R stands for Refresh !

Last edited:
Upvote 0

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022

In a similar discussion on another forum in recent days it has been established that the R stands for Refresh. That affects the life of the Internet access allowance though. The 180 days will (I think) be different.

There is some variation in detail but on just about all networks and all PAYG deals you have to make a call/top up (or equivalent) at least once every 180 days or the SIM can be invalidated.

Whether the start date for your Internet access validity started from the day you bought the device or the day of first use will depend on the deal you have and you will need to check with the shop.

Graham

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back