Where did you buy your snow chains? (1 Viewer)

leeks

Free Member
Sep 23, 2009
northumberland
Funster No
Exp
3 years
How much? Ever used them? How good, etc?

Try youwantwehave.co. Sales number 0870 991 7393.Have you wheel and tyre size handy. I paid about £50 for a pair. Not used them yet but they look sturdy enough. I will find out on Wednesday as I go through France on my way to Spain. If I do use them I will let you know how god they are.

Leeks:thumb:

leeks

Free Member
Sep 23, 2009
northumberland
Funster No
Exp
3 years
One R and One O missing, my head and hands are not working well together today.

Leeks

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

leeks

Free Member
Sep 23, 2009
northumberland
Funster No
Exp
3 years
I have just found the invoice it was toys for cars I bought the chains from, not youwantwe have.

Leeks

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
Hi, we have had two sets from here:

Link Removed

Search our store.......... Snow chains. You want the heavy ones 16mm husky.

:Smile: Bob.

derekfaeberwick

Free Member
Dec 1, 2007
Berwick
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
9 Years
I saw them in Halford's recently but easily managed to avoid any impulse buying.

Not for me, a waste of money.

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 9
I saw them in Halford's recently but easily managed to avoid any impulse buying.

Not for me, a waste of money.

not if you visit the places some of us visit. I purchased two sets off ebay. One for my last van 15 inch and now my latest 16 inch.

I have used them on two occasions and they have got me out of trouble twice. Advice though is to make sure you know how to put them on in a flash when on an alpine road with snow pelting down and tempretures in the -10. I have experienced this and its hard work especially with kids.

Contary to the above poster, you need them in several areas of the alps even in summer. I have returned recently from skiing in Scotland where they again proved useful. Also good for mud:thumb:

derekfaeberwick

Free Member
Dec 1, 2007
Berwick
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
9 Years
not if you visit the places some of us visit. I purchased two sets off ebay. One for my last van 15 inch and now my latest 16 inch.

I have used them on two occasions and they have got me out of trouble twice. Advice though is to make sure you know how to put them on in a flash when on an alpine road with snow pelting down and tempretures in the -10. I have experienced this and its hard work especially with kids.

Contary to the above poster, you need them in several areas of the alps even in summer. I have returned recently from skiing in Scotland where they again proved useful. Also good for mud:thumb:

Mt Blanc high enough?

Company paid for them because it was a legal requirement to carry them.

Good sense prevailed on my part however and I just parked up when it was obviously going to dump a load of the white stuff.

You'd need a chopper to get past one of these when they hit bother in the snow, not snow chains. :Doh:

img015.jpg

Sep 29, 2007
Wantage, UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Motorhoming since 2006, 30 years tent camping in Africa
We've used snow chains several times. On snow, ice, wet grass and mud.
We simply wouldn't go anywhere without them.

Up to now we've used inexpensive chains (around the £40 range) and although they do work they stretch and break quite easily. I'm currently looking for a better quality set and would welcome any suggestions.

As haganap says, learn to put them on when conditions are easy.

Rog

derekfaeberwick

Free Member
Dec 1, 2007
Berwick
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
9 Years
We've used snow chains several times. On snow, ice, wet grass and mud.
We simply wouldn't go anywhere without them.

Up to now we've used inexpensive chains (around the £40 range) and although they do work they stretch and break quite easily. I'm currently looking for a better quality set and would welcome any suggestions.

As haganap says, learn to put them on when conditions are easy.

Rog

Causing cosiderable damage to the van no doubt?:RollEyes:

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Causing cosiderable damage to the van no doubt?:RollEyes:

Nice pic Derek, but still poor advice not to have them especially if you have experience of them , although of course the OP made no comment about going abroad.- getting the company to pay? you tight so & So:winky:

Ivys, I have some £80 ones. very good they are. However I only use them when there is significant snow and I am about to get or get stuck, I remove them as soon as. Driving on them is far too noisey:ROFLMAO:

Sep 29, 2007
Wantage, UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Motorhoming since 2006, 30 years tent camping in Africa
Ivys, I have some £80 ones. very good they are. However I only use them when there is significant snow and I am about to get or get stuck, I remove them as soon as. Driving on them is far too noisey:ROFLMAO:

Haganap, can you provide more details?

Like you I only use them for (at the most) a few hundred yards. Usually the distances are far shorter. Although I don't intend to drive extended distances, I'd still like a pair that is more robust than the current set that I have broken.

Derekfaeberwick, this is exacty why I want a stronger set of chains. I simply wouldn't go without a set, but sometimes I worry about brake pipes and the like when using cheap "jewelry".

Rog

OP
OP
Milo

Milo

Free Member
Jan 20, 2009
Lancaster, UK
Funster No
MH
Campervan
Exp
I have some £80 ones. very good they are. However I only use them when there is significant snow and I am about to get or get stuck, I remove them as soon as.

What make? And bought from which supplier?

derekfaeberwick

Free Member
Dec 1, 2007
Berwick
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
9 Years
Last edited:

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
Mt Blanc high enough?

Company paid for them because it was a legal requirement to carry them.

Good sense prevailed on my part however and I just parked up when it was obviously going to dump a load of the white stuff.

You'd need a chopper to get past one of these when they hit bother in the snow, not snow chains. :Doh:

img015.jpg

Hi Derek, it use to make me :Smile: when I had a Lorry, all the lorries parked in the yard for a company I did some work for, and me carrying on as usual. ::bigsmile: I bet they would not have sat there drinking tea all day if they never got paid.:RollEyes: That why most drivers today are Polish.........:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: Bob.

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
They were from a company in Nuneaton. I cant remember the name sorry and an internet search isn't revealing anything.
although I did see the same make (cant remember the name now will look later) on sale in a French auto shop for 130 euros and imported from you guessed it Nuneaton:ROFLMAO:
They are much stronger looking and more resilient.

Have you thought about snow socks? seen a few of the Alps people using them these days and would appreciate any info on putting them on vans.

Only 30 days till we go so might get some. Also want a home made ski carrier. With 3 snow boards and 3 sets of skis+ clothing the 7 berth van is looking more like a caravanette

derekfaeberwick

Free Member
Dec 1, 2007
Berwick
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
9 Years
Hi Derek, it use to make me :Smile: when I had a Lorry, all the lorries parked in the yard for a company I did some work for, and me carrying on as usual. ::bigsmile: I bet they would not have sat there drinking tea all day if they never got paid.:RollEyes: That why most drivers today are Polish.........:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: Bob.

We didn't see the yard very often. :winky:

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
This is Nuneaton Paul. :Smile:

Well not only are they in Nuneaton, they are stocking the same as I have the Thule ones. However they are now £155 phew thats inflation, I only got them 14 months ago for £89.95::bigsmile:

poonamt93

Free Member
Jan 5, 2010
Funster No
I bought Snow Chain for ma car CIVIC 2002 from Les Schwab, a major tire store. They offer this great deal where if you don't use your chains this winter, you can return them for a full refund in the spring. They are really reliable and knowledgeable.
They have branches all over the Pacific Northwest. Here is a link to their site where you can locate one close to you: www.lesschwab.com
It was really a good Snow Chain........:Smile:

wireman

Free Member
Dec 18, 2007
Chesterfield
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Just how much would they help in mud? (having been bogged down once I want a quicker method of trying to get out that digging and jacking and don't even mention trying to be winched out cos there is nowhere suitable on the van to attach a winch cable if it has to be pulled out backwards)

lost-a-spanner

Free Member
Dec 28, 2009
Port Ste Foy et Ponchapt
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
Aye-up... Snow chains here are a legal requirement in some departments. Can be obtained from €30 per set fpr good ones. Half that for cheapo's that will work , but not to good on dry roads. Check the French supermarkets . Am over in Feb. and will have my chains on-board:thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back