LIFE MEMBER
Feb 15, 2015
lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9000DFH
Exp
ex caravanner
Well ,i got the phone call this morning ,"sorry to trouble you at work " but ive lost the Moho keys ,i had them in my bag and can find them.
So all day today i kept texting the moho to make sure that it was still there ,tonight i got home ,checked the car first ,turning it upside down as you do ,then off to the secure parking to check the moho to see if i could find her keys ,not a sniff
I drove home and the crap going through my head ,"what if her keys got nicked at the newark show by thieves targetting our moho" "how much is this goin to cost ?,eddie van bitz alarm fobs ,new keys aww bu***r what if i need to change the locks?
back at the house ,i enquired as to what handbag she was using ,was it the one with the open top ? no it was the drawstring one ,as i looked at it ,i asked i take it that you checked the zipped up part (being a bloke we dont know what to call that part) ,it was the look on her face that said it ,one of those expressions of realisation ,the keys were still in the ***king bag :rolleyes::mad::D

Dave K

Free Member
Mar 24, 2015
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740C
Exp
Since 2013
I can't comment too much on this because a couple of weeks ago I lost her car keys whilst walking the dogs on a Sunday morning, I had driven out into the countryside to give them a good run, then had to get the father in law to drive over to meet me with the spare key :whistle:.

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
Now from the title I pictured the 1960's, parties, car keys, swopping etc etc etc;)

Glad you finally found them :)

Dave K

Free Member
Mar 24, 2015
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740C
Exp
Since 2013
Now from the title I pictured the 1960's, parties, car keys, swopping etc etc etc;)

Glad you finally found them :)

Did they have cars in the 60's, I thought they only needed a bag of oats for the horse back then :D

OP
OP
laird of Dunstan

laird of Dunstan

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 15, 2015
lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9000DFH
Exp
ex caravanner
for the first few days i kept the alarm fob with the keys, then had one of those Doh moments and realised it was better kept apart from the keys..:) , i don't always use the non start facility.
andy
I have forgotten to disable the non starter and find out the hard way that i havent DOH:D

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
LOL! Love it, although couldn't be better than when we went on a trip to the Algarve in my car, which is keyless, so the key fob only has to be in the proximity of the car. I am very nervous about losing keys, so I gave the spare fob to my wife.

On one of our stops, I happen to notice that wife no longer has her handbag, so I say "where's your handbag?", "In the car" she replies, "is the spare key in your handbag?" I enquire. "Yes, why?" she replies, My response isn't very repeatable, but needless to say I hurried out to the car and retrieved said handbag, since the car was essentially unlocked, and indeed drive-able, since there was a bloody key in the car GRRR!

Got to love modern technology! :D

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
As a woman ... I must advise you that it is part of our attraction that we HAVE to lose our keys at LEAST once a day....

Any woman that doesn't ... then beware as she may not be what she appears to be.

WynandJean

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 23, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 682
Exp
Since 2010
LOL! Love it, although couldn't be better than when we went on a trip to the Algarve in my car, which is keyless, so the key fob only has to be in the proximity of the car. I am very nervous about losing keys, so I gave the spare fob to my wife.

On one of our stops, I happen to notice that wife no longer has her handbag, so I say "where's your handbag?", "In the car" she replies, "is the spare key in your handbag?" I enquire. "Yes, why?" she replies, My response isn't very repeatable, but needless to say I hurried out to the car and retrieved said handbag, since the car was essentially unlocked, and indeed drive-able, since there was a bloody key in the car GRRR!

Got to love modern technology! :D

I had one of those key systems on my car but had the opposite problem. I ask Jean that she carries the spare key with her since the following incident:-

We had decided to have a day out at a public garden somewhere near Oxford (about 2.5 hours drive). It was a pleasant day and we had packed a picnic for lunch. I had started the car and just as we were about to move off I decided I wanted to take a particular CD from the house to play en route so I jumped out of the car, unlocked the front door and rummaged about to find the CD. I hopped back in the car, the engine was running, off we went and had a pleasant drive to find these gardens. On arrival we reached the car park and I pressed the START/STOP button on the dashboard. Nothing happened, the engine didn't stop! I tried a few times then thought it must be unable to detect the key fob. Reached for the fob and it was't there! Then it dawned on me. When I went back to the house I'd used my keys to open the front door and while rummaging for the CD must have put them down on the desk and not picked them up. As the car had already been unlocked and the engine running I hadn't missed them. Not only could I not stop the engine, I couldn't lock the car. After trying to think of options there was nothing for it but to drive all the way home again and we had our picnic in the back garden. Some day out that was!
Like I say, ever since that day Jean carries her keys as well (with a spare fob for mine). After all when would the manufacturers expect a driver to unlock a car, start the engine then take the keys and leave them elsewhere? :doh:

Wyn

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
Went to lunch with a few friends in one of their brand new Holden Commadore, this model did not have the quarter lights. Had a nice lunch couple of beers. Went back to the car only to find he'd locked the keys inside.
He went to a nearby dry cleaners and begged a wire coathanger, when unravelled we were trying to get it in the window to lift the handle inside.
Along came this Maori kid, on the at the time new in line skates "What yu doin' mate?"
We explained keys in locked car tec etc
"Give me 10 bucks and I'll open it for yu"
Mate coughed up $10

The little bugger kept flicking the door handle and thumping under it with his fist, the door lock button rose a fraction each time he thumped the door, until the door opened
"Where did you learn that Cuz?"
As he rode away he shouted over his shoulder "where d'yu think I got me skates from?"

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
Mr Dave K... In the 60's you didn't need a horse to get your oats...

JJ :cool:
Speak for yourself..
I ALWAYS LOSE KEYS, it comes with the old age forgetfulness and general stupidity actually because the wife has put them away safely.

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
In Annecy we parked up the motorbike, put helmets under the seat and slammed it shut, only then remembering that I had placed the keys in the helmet. No way to open the seat.

After a few minutes another bike turned up and I asked if I could borrow his tool kit. He was quite happy until he saw I was "breaking into" the secure seat. I explained what had happened and he kept a very close eye on me until, after getting the seat open, I held up my keys for him to see.

Smiles and thanks all round, followed by a round of beers and a bo11**ing from the wife.

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
It is our age it, comes to us all. Well most of us that get this far that is.

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
The van bit alarm is a totally separate system from the vehicle systems...
Why would you keep the alarm fob with the keys... if a thief has your keys without the alarm fob he can't get into the vehicle without activating the alarm...
If he has the fob he can....
Andy.

Deleted User
The van bit alarm is a totally separate system from the vehicle systems...
Why would you keep the alarm fob with the keys... if a thief has your keys without the alarm fob he can't get into the vehicle without activating the alarm...
If he has the fob he can....
Andy.

I keep the alarm fob with my keys because it is convenient to have them in one place, I would have thought the chances of one or the other becoming misplaced leading to great inconvenience would outweigh the chances of the bunch of keys being stolen.

I can see that keeping them separate does add another layer of security but most factory fitted alarm systems are in the key fob anyway.

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
I keep the alarm fob with my keys because it is convenient to have them in one place, I would have thought the chances of one or the other becoming misplaced leading to great inconvenience would outweigh the chances of the bunch of keys being stolen.

I can see that keeping them separate does add another layer of security but most factory fitted alarm systems are in the key fob anyway.
As I said the van bit system is totally separate from the vehicle system..

I understand what you say about inconvenience. ...but surely you see that if a thief has the key fob and keys together
1 .. you may as well not have the alarm
2.. he's got your keys and takes your vehicle.. ( well maybe not if you have the non start facility as well :D)

So it really is good practice to keep them seperate(y)
Otherwise you have wasted a lot of money...
Andy

Deleted User

I am well aware of that

Not really, we had the alarm fitted for security when we are in it as much as security when we are away from it, in more than 50 years of driving I have never had my keys stolen, tempting providence now!

Feb 21, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
I'm very careful with keys now,and never leave them in the car with the doors shut. Reason? A few years ago I was taken short on a journey home after after a good lunch. So I stopped for a Jimmy Riddle in a field gateway,nipped behind the hedge to point Percy,great relief.
But.....on returning to the car it was locked.........and the keys were inside...........and the engine was running..........and my phone was on the passenger seat.
What a plonker!!
I had to walk a mile to the next house to ring the duchess who came and rescued me. She was not amused:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Oct 17, 2013
Plymouth
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact
Exp
Since 2013
@JJ I won' t comment on MIL on grounds it might incriminate me. Alan went to Woods Lane, I lived over border in Bramhall and went to Cheadle Hulme School

Last edited:

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No

I understand what you say about inconvenience. ...but surely you see that if a thief has the key fob and keys together
1 .. you may as well not have the alarm
2.. he's got your keys and takes your vehicle.. ( well maybe not if you have the non start facility as well :D)

Andy
Not with a good old growler, you can have the keys and the fob, you still won't be able to start the van! :D

May 8, 2016
silver coast, portugal
Funster No
MH
C Class: Low profile
Exp
Boatie for 20 years
I can't work it out. It's me that keeps putting things in safe places and being unable to find them again

2 days ago I needed two stubby screw drivers (one flat blade, one cross head). Yes, somewhere in the shed, easier to go down the road and bty new ones. Took the other half less than a minute to find them

Today, gave up looking for the stoppers for the water drain pipes on the MH. Took the van apart looking for them, Yep, the missus found them in little more than a minute

I'm taking her out for a walk tomorrow to see if her magical powers mean that she can sniff out some truffles

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back