Jun 19, 2008
Peterlee
Funster No
MH
a class old mod
Exp
not long
Hi, all
Thinking about changing inside lights over from bulbs to leds.Is it worthwhile and is it to costley.
Rod

ocsid

Free Member
Dec 20, 2008
Funster No
Hi, all
Thinking about changing inside lights over from bulbs to leds.Is it worthwhile and is it to costley.
Rod

Depends if your usage pattern makes having them necessary or not?
If your always on EHU or travelling on every other day then there is no point.
They are a battery saving aid, using about 20% of a halogen for equal effect.
[Theres no point in replacing fluorescent lights]
Even if you need them then you don't have to do all of them; select which ones you need on for a long period when off power. ie reading and lounge area. Those in the loo, hopefully only on for a few minutes, are not prime targets.

Are they costly?: well the best are at about £8 to £14 each depending on type. There are very different qualities of LED and like most things cheap is exactly that cheap. Those cheapo would be okay for the loo if you do intend lengthy periods in there but very second rate for reading. I buy from Ultraleds [Google] and now only buy the surface emitter types not those like clusters of glass beads.
In lounging areas we prefer a "warm light" colour, for reading the "white light" colour, but this temperature colour is a very personal thing.

Last edited:

SandJ

Free Member
Sep 14, 2007
North Yorks
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Too long lol
Hi, all
Rod

If you use hooh up all the time then no not worth it

If you use batteries a lot, then yes as it is a lot less consumption

As to cost look on ebay or search for the type you have got on google, some can be costly if you are not careful

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

SandJ

Free Member
Sep 14, 2007
North Yorks
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Too long lol
Hi, all
Rod

If you use hook up all the time then no not worth it

If you use batteries a lot, then yes as it is a lot less consumption

As to cost look on ebay or search for the type you have got on google, some can be costly if you are not careful

Landy lover

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2009
Zummerzet
Funster No
MH
27ft Eurolight
Exp
Camping Caravaning now 5'ering 49 years
icon8.gif
How Safe are LED Bulbs
Might sound a daft question but I was sat down looking at the forums and about to go outside and brave the cold for 5 minutes and an article caught my eye and while I was reading it the light over the table ( new LED's I bought at Lincoln show in Sept ) flickered then clouds of acrid black smoke filled the 5'er then I quickly turned the light off and opened the window stripped the bulb out. Fortunately this was all over in a few second but if I had gone out for 5 minutes it could have been a major disaster.

Ordinary bulbs blow and go out - has any one else had an LED do this ??

All the others I bought are OK
Attached ThumbnailsLink Removed Link Removed

Just before Xmas I posted this having had a bit of a fright with one of ours - I posted this on three or 4 forums to see if others had similar experiences and only had a few replies - I do think LED,s have a distinct advantage but for obvious reasons I am now a shade wary of them and make sure that all lights are out before we go outside even for a few minutes - the other 5 that we bought at the same time are all perfect -- at the moment

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
icon8.gif
How Safe are LED Bulbs
Might sound a daft question but I was sat down looking at the forums and about to go outside and brave the cold for 5 minutes and an article caught my eye and while I was reading it the light over the table ( new LED's I bought at Lincoln show in Sept ) flickered then clouds of acrid black smoke filled the 5'er then I quickly turned the light off and opened the window stripped the bulb out. Fortunately this was all over in a few second but if I had gone out for 5 minutes it could have been a major disaster.

Ordinary bulbs blow and go out - has any one else had an LED do this ??

All the others I bought are OK
Attached ThumbnailsLink Removed Link Removed
Just before Xmas I posted this having had a bit of a fright with one of ours - I posted this on three or 4 forums to see if others had similar experiences and only had a few replies - I do think LED,s have a distinct advantage but for obvious reasons I am now a shade wary of them and make sure that all lights are out before we go outside even for a few minutes - the other 5 that we bought at the same time are all perfect -- at the moment

a tale worth telling Landy.
but you do sometimes get one bad egg in the box and i would think, with the many thousands of units sold, it would be a one off for you personally.

lunarman

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2008
South Glos
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1994
I have changed those in the lounge area because of the heat generated by the original halogen bulbs. The spotlights are quite close to the head and being folicaly challenged it was uncomfortable to say the least.:ROFLMAO:

JaG

Oct 30, 2008
Chesterfield
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne
Exp
Since 2008
Definately

We changed all of our bulbs in our van and, having just returned from 5 days on battery at Nantwich with colour TV and lights galore on most of the time - it barely dented the 110amp battery.
Definately worth the £38 it cost to replace them, all from China via EBay and a fraction of the UK cost. Delivered in 5-7 days. As stated before Ultraleds are a good firm also. They do use 20% of halogen and are approximately twice as bright if using the High White. The average luminous of Warm White is 3000k and the High White 6400k.
As we rally a lot with no hook-ups it is money well spent in our view. Never had any problem with any, and I have used 1000's of them for over 8 years in modelling.

whiskers27

Free Member
Jul 25, 2009
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
none yet but hopefully many
Not that exspensive

i got mine from

www.leisurepower.co.uk

i brought

8 x cold white L18-TR-G4 back pin £12.50 each
8 x cold white L6-SD-G4 side pin £7.00 each

I did work it out and it was somthing like 5 years 265 days and 8 hours se you would get out of each bulb so the price for that amount of seage is quite small.

::bigsmile:::bigsmile:::bigsmile:::bigsmile:

JaG

Oct 30, 2008
Chesterfield
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne
Exp
Since 2008
Led

WOW, that is some price for LED's. I know they are British but the equivalant from Ebay that I have are £1.48 and £2.99 respectively, and that included postage. You just need confidence to shop abroad, and I have for many years with not one problem. The saving far outweighs the convenience of seeing what you buy. After all, who supplies the British company? China! Virtually nothing electrical is made in Britain anymore.

Kon tiki

Free Member
Oct 11, 2007
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Low Line
Exp
20+
Got a couple off eBay for £2.50 each from Hong Kong, when they came the pins were too big to fit in the holder. Emailled the seller & he sent me 2 more with smaller pins & they worked fine. These were the ones with 6 LED's on & were ok but not quite as bright as the 10 watt halogen. I also ordered 2 of these Link Removed @ £4 each. They came today & fitted them & they are almost as bright as the halogen ones & do seem to be made better than the cheaper ones. I also found that the polarity of the dearer ones didn't seem to matter & they worked with the power either way where the cheap ones needed to be wired correctly.

Just ordered 2 more today & noticed the price was a bit cheaper @ £3.97, although it shows an address & phone number in the UK the bulbs are shipped from Taiwan & delivery is 7-15 days, you can check on the website the status of your order & they came within the specified date even with the Christmas & New Year holiday.

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
WOW, that is some price for LED's. I know they are British but the equivalant from Ebay that I have are £1.48 and £2.99 respectively, and that included postage. You just need confidence to shop abroad, and I have for many years with not one problem. The saving far outweighs the convenience of seeing what you buy. After all, who supplies the British company? China! Virtually nothing electrical is made in Britain anymore.

i thought that it should be virtually nothing is made in britain anymore.

JaG

Oct 30, 2008
Chesterfield
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne
Exp
Since 2008
British made

i thought that it should be virtually nothing is made in britain anymore.
Yes, you are right enough there. The lowest of the low has to be Volvo - Chienese owned!!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back