LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
OK, just got back from Wrenbury 2009 - mayhem hosted as only Bryan and Suzy can.

So we arrived Tuesday with our 6 year old 85Ah battery fully charged.

The Truma heating went on and stayed on.

We watched some TV and DVDs, with the gentle throb of 389 generators all around us supplemented by occasional growl of a V10 being warmed up.

Two people offered us the use of their chargers - you just can't beat funsters. "Thanks but no thanks, we're testing our capacity".

On Friday we depart. The battery reads 12.6V.

So three days of normal freezing cold use and we'd have gone another two, probably but did not want to risk the weather closing in.

What are you lot doing wrong then ? Are you eating electricity ? A load Frankenstein creations needing their electrical fixes. Beats me.

Can't wait for the next test at Valentine's Day meet, also non-hook-up and no doubt cold.

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi Brian nice to hear a sensible approach to battery life :thumb: test it until it fails before jumping on the genny / solar panels band wagon :thumb::ROFLMAO: You can always put on a hat and coat or start the van to get you out of the s--t without the need of I WANT ONE :ROFLMAO::thumb:
TERRY

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
big difference brian,
when we are out in the van it is our home and treat it as such.

no stumbling around in half light....if we need a/some light(s) on we put one/some on for as long as we need it.

we dont watch 1/2 an hour of tv at home then turn it off, so we watch for as long as we feel like in the van as well, sometimes as much as 8 or 10 hours a day if the weathers crap.

we dont use blown air heating as its worse than useless and not a patch on the gas convector side of the heater so no usage there.

but then i do have a 120w panel on the roof and a 2.2kw genny in the locker so it doesnt bother me if the batteries run low.
thats why i bought them.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
big difference brian,
when we are out in the van it is our home and treat it as such.

no stumbling around in half light....if we need a/some light(s) on we put one/some on for as long as we need it.

we dont watch 1/2 an hour of tv at home then turn it off, so we watch for as long as we feel like in the van as well, sometimes as much as 8 or 10 hours a day if the weathers crap.

we dont use blown air heating as its worse than useless and not a patch on the gas convector side of the heater so no usage there.

but then i do have a 120w panel on the roof and a 2.2kw genny in the locker so it doesnt bother me if the batteries run low.
thats why i bought them.

Cannot fault how you use the van leccy but how often have you used / needed the genny ?etc terry
edit why is the blown air heating crap ? mine works a treat ?

Last edited:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Cannot fault how you use the van leccy but how often have you used / needed the genny ?etc terry
edit why is the blown air heating crap ? mine works a treat ?

we usually survive a 4 day show meet but occasionally stick the genny on for 230v stuff so that gives us a bit of a charge.
we do have an invertor but i cant see the point in using that and flattening the batteries even more when the gennies just sat there.
dont know whats wrong with the blown air but it never seems to get above luke warm. could be me not using it right.
the convector fire gets too warm at times.

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Ours is set for shorts on in winter and on top of the quilt at night :ROFLMAO::thumb:
terry

nahnotme

Free Member
Sep 23, 2007
Funster No
I dont know what im doing wrong....but ive an idea.
I have 2 newish 110ah leisure batteries and 2 85ah engine batteries all connected together, I can be on hook up charging them up for a week but if im not hooked up the power goes after just a few hours of TV, blown air and lights etc.
So are my new batteries only as good as the old engine ones ?
I've just increased the size of my engine battery due to not starting properly, so now only have room for 85-95ah sort of size, does this matter ??? must thet all be the same size and age ?? is it really that important ?

Munchie

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2007
Camping Les Vigeres
Funster No
MH
Font Vendôme
Exp
Since 2004
OK, just got back from Wrenbury 2009 - mayhem hosted as only Bryan and Suzy can.

So we arrived Tuesday with our 6 year old 85Ah battery fully charged.

The Truma heating went on and stayed on.

We watched some TV and DVDs, with the gentle throb of 389 generators all around us supplemented by occasional growl of a V10 being warmed up.

Two people offered us the use of their chargers - you just can't beat funsters. "Thanks but no thanks, we're testing our capacity".

On Friday we depart. The battery reads 12.6V.

So three days of normal freezing cold use and we'd have gone another two, probably but did not want to risk the weather closing in.

What are you lot doing wrong then ? Are you eating electricity ? A load Frankenstein creations needing their electrical fixes. Beats me.

Can't wait for the next test at Valentine's Day meet, also non-hook-up and no doubt cold.

I agree, some pooh pooh'd me when I posted we went a week n poor weather with two12aph batts and two 80w solar panels and our batts were fully charged each day. All our gear is 12v and we don't use invertors. Lighting is LED and we used everything as required doing without nothing. If your batts are good it's amazing how long they last. :thumb:

PS our last van had 1 85aph batt and no solar and we could go 3 days.

Last edited:

shortcircuit

Free Member
Sep 13, 2007
Funster No
I have to ask if your heating is blow air and how often was it on, as I am quite amazed that 85 A/h battery can last 3 days and still show 12.6volts.

I have Truma and as soon as the fan starts then the voltage drops and it does not take long to drain my batteries. Just fitted 2 110A/h and am off for a long weekend in two weeks so will measure how long they stand up. Also just bought a Kipor generator just as my insurance, and no, I have no thought or inclination to spend money on solar

Oct 14, 2007
Rochester
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Mohawk
Exp
16 fun filled years

Have you tried running a 1500w Hair drier off a battery, they don't last long:ROFLMAO:

You can't beat the nice comforting purr of a Kippor:ROFLMAO:

peter marshall

Free Member
Mar 5, 2009
Cleveleys,Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Low Line
Exp
9 Years
I dont know what im doing wrong....but ive an idea.
I have 2 newish 110ah leisure batteries and 2 85ah engine batteries all connected together, I can be on hook up charging them up for a week but if im not hooked up the power goes after just a few hours of TV, blown air and lights etc.
So are my new batteries only as good as the old engine ones ?
I've just increased the size of my engine battery due to not starting properly, so now only have room for 85-95ah sort of size, does this matter ??? must thet all be the same size and age ?? is it really that important ?

Dont forget the 2 larger 110ah batts will only charge up to the smaller 85ah level Pete

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I have to ask if your heating is blow air and how often was it on, as I am quite amazed that 85 A/h battery can last 3 days and still show 12.6volts.

I have Truma and as soon as the fan starts then the voltage drops and it does not take long to drain my batteries. Just fitted 2 110A/h and am off for a long weekend in two weeks so will measure how long they stand up. Also just bought a Kipor generator just as my insurance, and no, I have no thought or inclination to spend money on solar

as am i....

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
just did a quick search for TRUMAVENT FANS and found this...

white_pixel.gif

41122-01.jpg

Trumavent TEB-2 - 12 V with External Control Panel

Trumavent fan TEB-2, 12 V with automatic speed control and control panel to fit in front case, only for Trumatic S 3002 and S 5002 with new design). With external control panel

less_details_specs.gif

details_specs_line.gif

• Air flow rate up to 142 m3/h (with fan duct VR 72) 5) :
  • Power supply 12 V :
  • Power consumption 0,3 to 1,0 A :
  • Air flow rate up to 135 m3/h (with fan duct ÜR 65) :
  • Fan for 12 V (4 - 13 W) :
  • With the models with automatic revolution speed, the air delivery volume adapts to the particular heating capacity in each case :
  • Fitting on the installation box of the heating system elements (with the Comfort package, securing to the floor or to the wall is possible) :
  • High air delivery capacity: up to 200,000 litres per hour and more :
seems to me that 0.3 > 1.0amp isnt excessive !

shortcircuit

Free Member
Sep 13, 2007
Funster No
Thank Papa, however this is the spec for the heating system fitted in my MH

Trumatic C 4002/ C 6002 (EL)

Now replaced by the ‘Combi’ range of combination heaters, the C 4002 and C 6002 heaters are fitted to many motorhomes in the UK. They are predominantly an LPG heater; however, the C 6002 EH gives the option for both gas and electric use as standard.

A heating collar can be retro-fitted to these products to enable electric heating as well as gas.

For all technical information on the C 4002/ C 6002, please either visit your dealer or call/ email our technical department.

Technical information includes;

Water heating times from 15oC to approx 60oC: approx 30 min (boiler only)
approx 80 min (heater and boiler)

Air flow rate: C 4002: max 287 m3/h
C 6002: max 287 m3/h

Current input at 12V:

Heater and Boiler: C 4002: ø 1.3A (0.2-5.6 A)
C 6002: ø 1.4A (0.2-5.6 A)

Heating up boiler: 0.4 A

Rest current: 0.001 A
Water capacity: 12 litres
Water pressure: max 2.8 bar
Weight: 17.6kg (without water)
Product Ident. Number: C 4002 CE-0085AS0121
C 6002 CE-0085AS0122

Soon draws the battery down

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun