Free Member
Jul 21, 2009
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Just Looking
Exp
Since 2004
I have just seen this 1997 Hymer b544 at £19k 'Buy it Now' price on Ebay.
It looks good (but LHD), but is the price to high?

Link Removed

savantuk

Free Member
Jul 3, 2009
Cumbria, Lake district UK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
30 years.
It looks like a very, very good buy to me.

Well looked after, well maintained, and with desireable extras.

It's the right time of year to buy, but just make sure that the cambelt has been changed.

I'd be very tempted to buy this if I was after an Hymer!!

Happy new year.

Last edited:
Aug 9, 2008
Lanner - Cornwall
Funster No
MH
A Class RV
Exp
20 + Years
I agree with Doug, it looks quite desireable. Having driven a similar model with the same engine and spec for 2 years and never having any faults prior to changing to the RV, the only thing that is interesting when driving isn't the fact that its LHD but getting used to the dash mounted gear stick with your right hand; but you get there with practise.

Go on have a punt!

Brian

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Dec 4, 2007
worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Winnebago
Exp
20 years
Hi Joggerman, l have allways had LHD for over twenty years l find it helps me as l go of to france and spain often in the uk no problem as you know the roads here but abroad in a RHD can be hard work overtaking and roundabouts Paul:winky:

savantuk

Free Member
Jul 3, 2009
Cumbria, Lake district UK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
30 years.
Link Removed
try this off auto trader
terry

Personally, I don't think that the Autotrader van compares on any level, except perhaps price. I'd pay the extra an get the eBay model. Newer model, better spec, and altogether more desireable.

Sep 27, 2007
Shropshire based
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
started in 2001
Is this to expensive

Hi Joggerman and a happy new year.

Terry's post puts it into prospective, pricewise, at the full asking price it is a well equipted rig.

Would still want to view and test run first, but at least the owner is UK based.

How much payload will you require, and what does it offer, as I read the add, its gross is under 3000Kg. and has a motorcycle rack built into it??

The cam belt history and service history would be interesting, at that age.

All in all a very interesting offer IMO.

Nomadic

S

stagman

Deleted User
I have just seen this 1997 Hymer b544 at £19k 'Buy it Now' price on Ebay.
It looks good (but LHD), but is the price to high?

Link Removed

Personally £17k would be absolute tops to pay for it .LHD in the UK are worth at least £2k less than RHD . Think about selling on , you will sell the rhd far easier than the lhd.:thumb:

takeaflight

Free Member
Sep 4, 2007
Stratford-upon-Avon
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
LHD in the UK are worth at least £2k less than RHD . Think about selling on , you will sell the rhd far easier than the lhd

I don't believe that is correct, unless you are dealer trying to buy a van off someone.

The Hymer A class is built around LHD, for example the window wipers and if fitted the cab door which is meant for the driver, not the passenger as on a RHD.

For me as most of my motorhome time is spent in Europe I would'nt consider anything other than a LHD. Also being high up in a A Class, a LHD does not present any problems in the UK as along as there is a window to the rear of my right shoulder. However that said a friend with a C Class Hobby LHD and no window as no problems, just as to think about his position on the road at junctions.

Some people will be put off by LHD just as some will be put off by RHD.

My first M/H only had 3000 miles, great I thought, wrong it had been lived in full time on a site, so consequently there was a lot of wear to the interior that being our first purchase I didn't really notice.

So IMHO when it comes to value there is so many variables that you are the only one that can put a price on a van.

Someone said to us after buying it, "you will buy three before you find the right one" We replied nonsense, no way.

This is our third vehicle and while it's 95% there, I just wished it was just a bit longer.

Roy Happy new year.

takeaflight

Free Member
Sep 4, 2007
Stratford-upon-Avon
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
Just had a look on ebay, this model Fiat, Cam belt change at 50000 miles or 5 years. When we had ours done a few years ago, due to the air con which makes for more work I think the bill was around £350.

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi joggerman,the example I gave was just to make you stop and think :thumb: at this time of year there are very few buyers around :Smile: If I were you I would go view it and make an offer around the 16500 / 17000 mark :thumb: and walk leaving your number :thumb:. You can always watch if it makes the price on ebay-- bear in mind lots sell on ebay but fail to complete :winky: so you may well end up with a bargain a couple of weeks later :thumb:There will always be another van :Smile:
Most people sell LHD vans in this country for a couple of grand less than the RHD equivalent so use this as a bargaining tool as well.
terry

Dec 4, 2007
worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Winnebago
Exp
20 years
Terrys right l got my Winnie off ebay payed a grand less than they where asking and spent £600 on a good service, l saved about 10k on dealer price and its is a UK supplied Rv go and see it Paul

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back