Dec 16, 2009
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
1 month!
Hi Folks

Being a new motorhomer and just spent a lot of hard earnt cash on a Rapido I saw a leaflet in the dealers advertising Supagard which offers paint sealant on the vehicle to protect against accumulation of grime, repells ultra violet rays, pollution and acid rain - saviour of the world stuff!

So, has anyone used this stuff and does it work? Is it worth the cost (not sure how much as I type)? I did see an article in a mag recently about a similar product but cannot lay my hands on it at pres. so I thought I would ask the experts.

Ta

S t J

Ps Done a se

hailman

Free Member
Nov 4, 2009
IoW
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Lots, on and off, way back to VW splitty`s!
If you saw the `kit` that you pay £300 for it would make you spit. 2 bottles, maybe 500ml, part 1 and part 2.

Yeh right.

Load of tosh.

Same as above, good quality polish and a bit of EG.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Dec 23, 2007
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Hobby Van Kenobi
Exp
started when I was 11 with my parents-forgot to stop!been real one since 1980!
My new Hymerwill have it as part of the deal. I will report back later.

Upvote 0

cater_racer

Free Member
Oct 15, 2008
Chester
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
I think the underbody (Chassis) is more likely to rot first. I've only ever seen really ancient motorhomes with body rot, but underneath there seems to be very little protection.

Basically a white van man only expects his vehicle to last 7 years, by which time it's done 500,000 miles and gone through the engine rebuild and four clutches.

But a motorhome on the same chassis is barely run in, but no converter seems to take special care to ensure the thing doesn't rot underneath.

Upvote 0

AuldCodger

Free Member
Nov 25, 2009
?
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
Hi StJ,
Have had the supaguard treatment on a couple of cars (supposedly a free extra from the dealer) not daft enough to believe that but my opinion is that it is not worth the cost.
As has been said a few hours work with a quality polish/wax does the business.
Enjoy your travels and a Happy New Year. :thumb:

Upvote 0
Dec 4, 2007
worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Winnebago
Exp
20 years
Hi Folks

Being a new motorhomer and just spent a lot of hard earnt cash on a Rapido I saw a leaflet in the dealers advertising Supagard which offers paint sealant on the vehicle to protect against accumulation of grime, repells ultra violet rays, pollution and acid rain - saviour of the world stuff!

So, has anyone used this stuff and does it work? Is it worth the cost (not sure how much as I type)? I did see an article in a mag recently about a similar product but cannot lay my hands on it at pres. so I thought I would ask the experts.

Ta

S t J

Ps Done a se
All depends how long you are keeping the motorhome as when you come to part with it don,t expect to make it worth anymore px value Paul

Upvote 0

Deleted User
Have had this applied to my honda as part of the deal. seems ok. Your Rapido has a gel coat finish and you must not use any silicone based products on it so best check first. happy new year

spongy

Upvote 0
OP
OP
S

Snowythejock

Free Member
Dec 16, 2009
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
1 month!
Protection/Autoglym

Have had this applied to my honda as part of the deal. seems ok. Your Rapido has a gel coat finish and you must not use any silicone based products on it so best check first. happy new year

spongy

Spongy

Thanks - do you know if Autoglym is silicone free or is it a "Jordan"?

Happy New Year

StJ

Upvote 0

wasp

Free Member
Dec 21, 2008
Warsop
Funster No
MH
None gone caravannin
Exp
I bought some stuff called Farecla top wax, boat builders use it on gel coat finish it is quite good I got mine off flea-bay :roflmto::roflmto::roflmto::roflmto:

Upvote 0

schojac

Free Member
Apr 25, 2009
Cambridgeshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
new in 2009
Hi,

I have had, as part of a purchasing deal, two cars protected using a product called diamondbrite; sounds similar to the product you have described.

Does it work? - yes it does. The idea behind these products is that they take away the necessity to wax your vehicle and provide protection against grime UV. THere is a little bit of after carerequired but this is applied during the rinse off.

Is it worth it as it is quite expensive? - only if you intend to keep for a few years and would like to escape the waxing routine. Don't reckon it will add much to resale value so it really has to be a personal choice; you pays yer money.....etc.

Upvote 0

wreinmicheal

Free Member
Jan 2, 2010
Funster No
Hi Folks

Ta

S t J

Ps Done a se

HI...Snowythejock. I am also waiting for the same information. Hope we would get enough information.

Upvote 0

DESCO

Free Member
Mar 11, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
18 years +12 years tugging
I bought some stuff called Farecla top wax, boat builders use it on gel coat finish it is quite good I got mine off flea-bay :roflmto::roflmto::roflmto::roflmto:

Would recommend Farecla polish this is what Auto-Sleeper recommended for their fibreglass bodies, and only needs to be done if gel coat loses its shine.

Personally would not bother with Superguard.

Dave :thumb::thumb:

Upvote 0

Deleted User
Spongy

Thanks - do you know if Autoglym is silicone free or is it a "Jordan"?

Happy New Year

StJ

Autoglym does contain silicone I checked with them probably not as much as jordan though. I use pure canuba wax on my rapido, not cheap about £33.00 a pot but ive polished mine twice + car and still have half a pot left.
good luck
spongy

Upvote 0

kevina

Free Member
May 21, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Car Lack 68. Look it up and you will find it popular with the "detailers".
It is silicon free and excellent on fibreglass. I made the mistake of giving my rapido a "delicate" jet wash whilst down in France which stripped the lustre off the grp bodywork! Car Lack 68 to the rescue - it has a very mild (abrasive) polishing effect so was perfect for bringing the shine back and has left it really slippery. It is an acrylic resin rather than a wax so is a semi permanent finish. Used half a (£16) bottle doing 2 coats including the roof.

Upvote 0

SpongeBobsDad

Free Member
Sep 23, 2008
north east uk
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
25 + yrs
I would save my money and get the chassis and under body treat with wax oil or something similar to protect it from the elements. You can always give the body etc a good polish with a quality brand of polish (I use Mer or Auto Glym) .I know getting a professional job done is OK, but washing and polishing your pride and joy gives you the opportunity to check the exterior for any marks or damage you might have sustained on your travels.:thumb::thumb:

Upvote 0

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
Go to a car shop, get some PAINT SEALANT polish - that is all it is! - costs around £2-4

Then pop into a supermarket, grab a can or two of SCOTCHGUARD - thats all the fabric ptrotector is - costs around £3 a can.

Chances are, you vehicle is already CRIS registered, if not, do so. Then you have the same package for under a tenner in protectants, and whatever CRIS registration costs - but be alot cheaper than £600!:thumb:

Upvote 0

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Hi, what is CRIS registered please?:Doh:

CRiS Registration

All caravans manufactured since 1992 by NCC members are recorded on the CRiS database by their unique 17 digit Vehicle Identification Number (VIN). This VIN and the caravan description are recorded on a Touring Caravan Registration Document, which is sent to the caravan's registered keeper. Even if you own a pre-1992 caravan, or imported your own caravan into the UK, you can still register it with CRiS yourself. Many insurance companies now require CRiS registration before they will issue a policy.
What this has to do with Motor Homes I dont know:Doh:
Motorcaravans already have a chassis number and registration scheme, it's called DVLA:RollEyes:

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back