Free Member
Oct 9, 2007
Sunny Bournemouth
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2005
I expect this question has been asked before.

I plan to go to Italy in the summer via Austria and the Brenner Pass, but I understand that you have to purchase a vignette or something at the border to authorise you to travel on their roads.

My vehicle is 3850Kg.

How does this system work?.

Bulletguy

Free Member
Feb 7, 2008
Cheshire/Staffs
Funster No
I expect this question has been asked before.

I plan to go to Italy in the summer via Austria and the Brenner Pass, but I understand that you have to purchase a vignette or something at the border to authorise you to travel on their roads.

My vehicle is 3850Kg.

How does this system work?.
Similar to Switzerland though you will pay more as you are above the 3.5kg. Vignettes can be bought at any Post Office in Austria.

Link Removed

Oct 26, 2007
Teesside
Funster No
MH
Swift Edge
Exp
Over 3.5t you need a Go Box, you pay a fee upfront and money is debited electronically from it as you pass gantries on the motorway.These can be obtained quite easily at the border or garages before. If you do not plan to stay in Austria claim a refund of your deposit and unused credit but you must remember to do this before you cross the border.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Fatalhud

Free Member
Nov 26, 2009
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
19 Years on and off
Its not that simple, a vignette is for vehicles under 3500kg. Over that weight you have to get a "Go Box"
Its easier to Google " Austria go box " and follow the links, to explain

Alan H

Landy lover

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2009
Zummerzet
Funster No
MH
27ft Eurolight
Exp
Camping Caravaning now 5'ering 49 years
You may find this link usefull Link Removed which gives you info on just about every aspect of driving in Austria including things like speed limits - on the spot fines - alcohol and drink driving laws etc

Bulletguy

Free Member
Feb 7, 2008
Cheshire/Staffs
Funster No
Its not that simple, a vignette is for vehicles under 3500kg. Over that weight you have to get a "Go Box"
Its easier to Google " Austria go box " and follow the links, to explain.
Both links to that were in the the same link as I posted. It just needed reading.

Link Removed
http://www.asfinag.at/

Must admit the time I spent in Austria the Police seemed pretty lax on payment of toll stickers, unlike in Hungary where random checks were in place on the motorways. The only time mine was checked out in Austria was when leaving the country to cross into Slovenia.

Beachbum

Free Member
Sep 13, 2007
Hamburg / Cornwall
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
40 Years
Do you still have to pay the Vignette in Austria if you go on the A and B roads. Last year when I crossed into Switzerland over the alps, at the Border I mentioned to the Border guards that I would be travelling only on the A & B roads. He said I did not have to pay. Let me know if it is the same for Austria. Thanks. :Doh:

Landy lover

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2009
Zummerzet
Funster No
MH
27ft Eurolight
Exp
Camping Caravaning now 5'ering 49 years
Do you still have to pay the Vignette in Austria if you go on the A and B roads. Last year when I crossed into Switzerland over the alps, at the Border I mentioned to the Border guards that I would be travelling only on the A & B roads. He said I did not have to pay. Let me know if it is the same for Austria. Thanks. :Doh:

The link I put on give this info -
If you intend to use Austrian motorways and expressways you vehicle must display a motorway tax sticker (vignette). These stickers, valid for a year, two months or 10 days, can be purchased at many petrol stations close to the border in neighbouring countries, at the frontier in Austria, or in AMTC offices. Cost 2007 for a car 10 days euro 7.60 or 2 months euro 21.80.

OP
OP
E

estcres

Free Member
Oct 9, 2007
Sunny Bournemouth
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2005
Thanks to everyone who has provided information and advice.

Why is it that everything seems to get more complicated, is it me or is it everyone finding the same.

I have checked out the ASFINAG site regarding the Go Box system which is quite simple, get a Go Box, pay up front and travel with the amounts being deducted from your pre paid credit.

OK so far.

Now I notice that from 01.01.2010 they are introducing a system based upon the Emmisions of your engine The Euro catagory of your vehicle and the charges per Kilometre vary according to the catagory.

You appear to have to have evidence of your catagory as, if you are stopped you have to prove you have purchased the correct catagory of Go Box.

Life just seems to get more complicated.

Comments please

Bulletguy

Free Member
Feb 7, 2008
Cheshire/Staffs
Funster No
Why is it that everything seems to get more complicated, is it me or is it everyone finding the same.

Life just seems to get more complicated.
I wouldnt worry too much about it. The Austrian Polizei are perfectly reasonable chaps and quite forgiving towards foreign tourists who after all are bringing in wads of dosh to spend!

I used the motorway network in Austria for four days before realising i'd not paid for a Vignette.

Heres a tip for you. Run your fuel tank as low as possible towards Austria. I found the cheapest fuel slap bang in the middle of Salzburg of all places....80cent a litre....and that was in July this year. Quite unexpected. I paid more than that in Poland!

Last edited:

bevo

Free Member
Nov 15, 2008
north west
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
austria

we crossed into ausrtia last year (from lake constance).
at the border were ticket machines that you could buy tickets to allow you to travel on the motorway 2 euro for a single journey and 4 euro for a return one.
our motorhome is 3850 kg
i bought one of these tickets and had no problems.
but 100 yds past the border people who didn't have a ticket (or vignet) were being stopped by the police and fined.
enjoy austria is beutifull

andycotterell

Free Member
Apr 13, 2009
Europe-wide
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Sorry to come in late on this - been a bit out of touch due to being stranded in Germany by the snow.

Two things to bear in mind regarding "Go-Boxes".

1. Minimum initial payment and for any subsequent top-up is 75 Euros. It gets chewed up pretty quickly so worth keeping an eye on it if you are nearly out of Austria and don't want to pay 75 Euro to drive a short way.
2. My experience is that the Austrian police check this sort of thing quite thoroughly. A couple of months ago while driving across Austria the whole motorway was diverted through a service stop which was full of police and customs agents. They spotted my Go-Box and I was waved through. It would have been a bad time to have been winging it without one.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back