Free Member
Apr 25, 2009
Newcastle
Funster No
MH
italian crap
Exp
too long
I don't know how much other owners have had to pay for their pet's passport, but we have been quoted £250, £214 and £125 from 2 different vets !
I don't understand how there can be such a big variation in the fees ?
Anyone else experienced large discrepancies in the prices :whatthe::Smile:

ourcampersbeentrashed

Free Member
Apr 19, 2008
East London
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
well over 5 years
Have you tried the PDSA or RSPCA they may be more reasonable in pricing.

Like everything these days, you have to phone around to get the best deal xxxx

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
I think I paid about £125 about 3 Years ago for the original one.
Then you have to pay each year to renew it.
What anoys me more is the ferry companys that charge £30 to check the chip.
You can take a car with5 pasengers to Fance for about £20,put a cat in with them and it becomes £50.:Doh:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Teasy2007

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2007
Rotherham South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu PVC
Exp
Since 2005
I don't know how much other owners have had to pay for their pet's passport, but we have been quoted £250, £214 and £125 from 2 different vets !
I don't understand how there can be such a big variation in the fees ?
Anyone else experienced large discrepancies in the prices :whatthe::Smile:

Hi we put our new pup through the passport at the Vets in Filey in the summer, if we had gone to our local vets in Rotherham it would have cost considerably more.

The identichip was about £20

The rabies injection was £29 and the blood test £40

The passport itself was about £20.

On the internet I found this information:
Your pet can be prepared by your local veterinary surgery. The steps are, in order:

•Your vet will fit your pet with a microchip. Defra recommend you fit an ISO standard 11784 to 11785 chip. Check with your vet that the chip he is going to fit meets these standards, otherwise there is a risk that it will be unreadable on some scanners. Approximate cost, £25

•Your pet can then be vaccinated against rabies; this may be a single vaccination or require a secondary vaccination a short period later. Your pet must be at least three months old before he can be vaccinated. Approximate cost, £32

•One month after completing the rabies vaccinations your vet will blood test your pet and send the sample to a Defra recognised laboratory to be tested. Approximate cost, £75

•Six months later, if the blood test was successful, your pet can enter the UK under the Passports for Pets scheme

•Before entering or re-entering the UK with your pet he must be treated for ticks and tapeworm by a veterinary surgeon and your pet's passport signed, stamped and dated. This must be done between 24 - 48 hours before check-in for your journey to the UK. At check-in he will be scanned for his microchip and his passport checked.

Cost varies considerably. We have paid as much as £140 for our two small dogs, the least we have paid was at Uzerche and that was £42 for both dogs.

If I were you I would ring around your local vets and try to get a price for the whole process, then you can choose the cheapest!

Ginny

OP
OP
dellwood33

dellwood33

Free Member
Apr 25, 2009
Newcastle
Funster No
MH
italian crap
Exp
too long
Rosie is booked in for Thursday at the cheapest option (£125)
All of the vets up in our neck of the woods, seem to be part of the same practices, so the actual options are few and far between.
Once I get this sorted & it's France for June / July and hopefully next winter in Spain :Smile:

wanttobeaway

Free Member
Oct 26, 2009
on tour
Funster No
MH
white one
Exp
only 3.2 and counting
Wait till you come back some of the vets in france are a joke with what they charge ive been charged from €35 to €85 so far.

wanttobeaway

Free Member
Oct 26, 2009
on tour
Funster No
MH
white one
Exp
only 3.2 and counting
All of the vets up in our neck of the woods, seem to be part of the same practices, so the actual options are few and far between.
Once I get this sorted & it's France for June / July and hopefully next winter in Spain :Smile:

We got our dog done from the group you are on about the wife had to travel from calias on her own back to the vets on the west road then back again because they had not filled the passport out right so make sure you check it and there is nothing crossed out

hailman

Free Member
Nov 4, 2009
IoW
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Lots, on and off, way back to VW splitty`s!

We have just been through the process and just got the passport, be aware that the six month period starts when the final blood test is confirmed as OK and the passport is issued, at least that is how it was explained to us. The process from the first injection was around 6 to 8 weeks ago so you may not get the pooch away in June/July.

atakd

Free Member
Nov 15, 2009
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since '99
What anoys me more is the ferry companys that charge £30 to check the chip.
You can take a car with5 pasengers to Fance for about £20,put a cat in with them and it becomes £50.:Doh:

And the real insult is that they charge on the way out when they don't even scan, have no requirements to do anything and make the dog stay in the car.

We paid about £120 2 years ago for a 33 kg dog, I think it's slightly dearer once you go over 30 kg. Cheapest Vet in France including meds was E35, most expensive E55.
Kate

OP
OP
dellwood33

dellwood33

Free Member
Apr 25, 2009
Newcastle
Funster No
MH
italian crap
Exp
too long
We got our dog done from the group you are on about the wife had to travel from calias on her own back to the vets on the west road then back again because they had not filled the passport out right so make sure you check it and there is nothing crossed out

Strange that - I live 300 metres from the West Road vets and will be going to their practice in Gosforth. :winky:

OP
OP
dellwood33

dellwood33

Free Member
Apr 25, 2009
Newcastle
Funster No
MH
italian crap
Exp
too long
We have just been through the process and just got the passport, be aware that the six month period starts when the final blood test is confirmed as OK and the passport is issued, at least that is how it was explained to us. The process from the first injection was around 6 to 8 weeks ago so you may not get the pooch away in June/July.

As we will be away for at least 6 weeks, we will be outside of the 6 month period by the time we need to return :Smile:

Loujess

Free Member
Jan 10, 2010
Leeds UK
Funster No
MH
none
Exp
We've just had Ellie done and the full price was £195 from a vets in Horbury, Wakefield. Wish I'd phoned round now but hey ho!

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
We came over to France on what they called a that time a half passport when we left 6 years ago you could take your dogs out but not come back, and we had three Labradors and we needed to be travelling before the 6 months was up ( removals booked) so it would have meant quarantine! when we left the Defra was in turmoil as everything was changing and people was not quite sure what was correct... half passport was rabies injections and some blood test photo,chip,.. but the full blood test where you have a rating on a form stamped and signed by the laboratory.

Since being in France we had all the "Full passport done" for the two dogs left...a lot more expensive than the GB...

The Rejection at the Ports

This happens all the time, if you see the pile of rejected paperwork in one month the French lady behind the counter picked up this pile of forms about a 12" thick and said, all these are because the vets had not stamped, or stamped and not signed, or not filled the passport correct...and the list goes on....it happened to us when we travelled back to England with our two dogs,.... all injections correct,.... all the tabs labels off the injection bottles stuck in the passport correct,... all stamped by the vet correct,... all signed correct up to date..?? yes and no... on one of the dogs passports a old annual rabies jab that had done before it was a full pet passport was stamped but not signed...so we could not go through the tunnel...we had two options go back 120km to our vets and miss the train ...or go into Calais look for a vet and ask if they would sign it for us and try and catch the train as we was about 45 mins early.... we did the Calais option, the Calais vet phoned our vets and then signed and charged us 19 euros????? ...but the man behind us waiting to be checked at the tunnel with his dog had the same problem but his passport was done by a Spanish vet?

Never let your Dogs annual rabies jabs run out before you have it re-done ...because you will have to start the whole procedure again...blood tests... 6 months wait. and costs again ( it was a 6 months wait when we left England at it is the same here but it it may have changed in the UK now). ..This is what the French vet says

The French say it is not there problem it is the English that will not allow them to let you pass unless it is all correct and up to date and that you are traveling no sooner than 24 hours after the tick treatment and the worm tablet and in the 48 hour window allowed

:thumb: Mel

Last edited:
Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
Looks like we will be leaving Buster and Ruby our Border Terriers
in the cellar with a sack of dried food then ,
dont worry the kids will make sure they have water....

They'll be down there with them.
Bev:ROFLMAO:

tommytli

Funster
May 26, 2009
lancashire
Funster No
MH
coach built
Exp
since july 07
we are in the process of doing this, the 1st quote wait for it........................ a MASSIVE £280 the cheapest so far is £183.89 i am just waiting on 2 more vets getting back to me with a price before we get the ball rolling.

OP
OP
dellwood33

dellwood33

Free Member
Apr 25, 2009
Newcastle
Funster No
MH
italian crap
Exp
too long
Rosie has had her Rabies jab & we are awaiting a trip to the vets on the 21st Jan for the next check up & blood tests.
We have been quoted £125, but I will be interested to see what the final total works out at :RollEyes:

anfi1

Free Member
Dec 11, 2009
Gran Canaria
Funster No
MH
Hi top
Exp
2 months
we have just had our dogs done here in Gran Canaria we payed £30 for the rabies jab same again for the booster and £100 for the blood test,but same here regarding shop around!

tommytli

Funster
May 26, 2009
lancashire
Funster No
MH
coach built
Exp
since july 07
another just phoned back £244.89.

The breakdown for the cheapest price is chip £20.42, rabies jab £30.59, blood test 81.69, passport if the dog passes the test £51.19

exmusso

Free Member
Jun 18, 2008
NE Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
15 Years
Pet Passport

Hi there,

On successful outcome of the blood test, your pet is 'good to go' but cannot return to the UK until 6 months after the bloodtest. i.e.

If blood test results OK, say end of January you can then go but cannot return until the end of July. If you went end of June, you again cannot return until end of July.

After you have been out and back, you can then go/return as often as you like bearing in mind, your pet will require tick/tapeworm treatment from a vet every time you re-enter the UK.

Our first time out was timed to be 90 days based on earliest date allowed back in UK and working back. Cat's blood test result were OK in January therefore earliest date to return was July. We then worked the date back 90 days and left in April.

Cheers,
Alan

Cavendish

Free Member
Aug 10, 2008
England
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since September 2008
So far we've paid £16 for Cav to be chipped, £40 for first rabies vaccine (that didn't work) :Doh: , £58 for first blood test (only to find out it didn't work) :Doh: , £40 for second rabies vaccine and it'll be another £58 for the second blood test next week. I can't actually remember what the vets charge to issue the passport. :Blush: Total £212.00 Phew perhaps they should issue the passport for free!

Wyaye wires

Free Member
Sep 13, 2009
Berwickshire
Funster No
MH
A class Neisman Bischoff
Exp
since July 2009
Both of ours have their passports and think that it cost about £78 for the blood tests, £20 aprox for the rabies vaccine and as they already had been microchipped (which I cannot remember how much that cost) we just got the pet passport. I dont remember the vet charging for that.

There are no charges for going to Ireland and pet passports not required although we always have ours with us as it has all their details etc in there.

Have a good trip.

vwroamer

Free Member
Mar 1, 2009
Spain
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
On return to UK be aware that the french vets require you to have an appointment, usually after 2 in the afternoon so this must be arranged. If you are coming back through Calais/Boulogne there is a good campsite nearby called Camping Chaumiere, they are quite happy to arrange an appointment for you at the local vet if you E Mail them and give them details of your ferry crossing. The last 2 times I have returned by ferry, at the check in I was passes the machine and had to run it over my dogs chip myself, then give machine back. They charge £30 for that. E Mail for Chaumiere is as follows.
reservation@campinglachaumiere.com

Last edited:

Cavendish

Free Member
Aug 10, 2008
England
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since September 2008
So far we've paid £16 for Cav to be chipped, £40 for first rabies vaccine (that didn't work) :Doh: , £58 for first blood test (only to find out it didn't work) :Doh: , £40 for second rabies vaccine and it'll be another £58 for the second blood test next week. I can't actually remember what the vets charge to issue the passport. :Blush: Total £212.00 Phew perhaps they should issue the passport for free!

Cav got his passport issued yesterday. Photograph is optional but may take one just for a laugh. :ROFLMAO: All in all cost us £280!

OP
OP
dellwood33

dellwood33

Free Member
Apr 25, 2009
Newcastle
Funster No
MH
italian crap
Exp
too long
Rosie has had her blood test & the result was OK. I have to go to the vets next week to get the passport & pay the final bill :RollEyes:
Then we can actually plan the summer holiday as we will have a definative return date, itdoes look as if it will be later than we first thought however:Sad:

Does the photo have to be a portrait , head only shot or will a landscape full view shot do ::bigsmile:

Cavendish

Free Member
Aug 10, 2008
England
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since September 2008
Cav had his blood test on the 22nd January. On the papers it states he can return to the UK on or after 22nd July, which is ok because we go away late August. So the 6 months wait will be from the blood test date. HTH :Smile:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
And the real insult is that they charge on the way out when they don't even scan, have no requirements to do anything and make the dog stay in the car.

This actually isn't totally true as it depends on which ferry you go out and return on:

P&O charge £15 for the UK-France crossing, and then another £15 for the France to UK crossing.

SeaFrance charge nothing for the outward journey, but £30 for the return.

We booked an outward with SeaFrance and came back with P&O, so it only cost us £15 per dog!

It obviously depends on the cost of the whole crossing as to which is the best deal!

On return to UK be aware that the french vets require you to have an appointment, usually after 2 in the afternoon so this must be arranged.

This also is not totally true - we have often turned up to an open surgery (just checked when they were) and have also had morning appointments without any problem at all. It varies from vet to vet I would imagine, and I would suggest NOT using a vet near the ports themselves as they are a lot more expensive - better to use one the day before wherever you are going to be, rather than in the port and end up having to kick your heels for 24 hours or so.

:Smile:

Last edited:
OP
OP
dellwood33

dellwood33

Free Member
Apr 25, 2009
Newcastle
Funster No
MH
italian crap
Exp
too long
We will be using the Eurotunnel - £0 on the outward crossing
£30 coming into the UK though - so it would appear its £30 total whichever route :Smile:

solitaire woman

Free Member
Apr 27, 2008
Funster No
With regard to the rabies injection, I had my dog injected in May 2008 and the date by which the rabies injection is next due to keep it in line with a pet passport is not until May 2011. ie it is valid for 3 years.This has been signed and dated by the vet. He said to me that depending on the rabies injection given they have different lengths of cover.

OP
OP
dellwood33

dellwood33

Free Member
Apr 25, 2009
Newcastle
Funster No
MH
italian crap
Exp
too long
I will check with the vet on Wednesday, but I seem to remember her mentioning 2 years before another booster was required. :Smile:

wind_dancer

Free Member
Jul 10, 2009
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
first
The six months applies to the return date only, so you can take your pet out ok before then, you just can't bring them back into the UK until afterwards.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back