LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Mornin all, Does anyone know what the situation is regarding the blue badge concesion on French toll roads.
For some years now I have had the consesion allowed on some stretches of the motorway,but not on others.
If you have the blue badge they allow you to travel at group 1 instead of group 3,which is a huge saving as you can imagine when traveling the length of France on route to Spain.
Is there a list somewhere that give the sections that give the concesion.
Is it just down to the person in the box,whether they are having a bad day or not.

GIBLA53

Free Member
Jul 26, 2009
Powys/Spain
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral Compact
Exp
since 2002
Thats a good post in our experience your last line seems the most likely "its up to the person manning the booth" as you have probably noticed there seems quite a move to automated booths where the previous concessions are impossible to get Al

wanderer

Free Member
Apr 14, 2008
huntingdon
Funster No
MH
a class Arto
Exp
since 2008
Hi
I am unsure in my mind why a blue badge holder should be eligible for toll concessions . As far as i am aware thet are not specific to individual vehicles and are open to abuse.They are handed out far to easily £5 and a form to your local council. Do wardens and toll booth operators really ensure that the blue badge holder is in every vehicle that claims the concession.
I only mention this as i have 2 relations holding blue badges neither of them is any less able than me . I have borrowed a badge many times for hospital visiting and town centre shopping and have never been challenged mind you i do walk with a make believe limp when i get out out of the car
Tongue in cheek
Wanderer

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Teasy2007

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2007
Rotherham South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu PVC
Exp
Since 2005
Mornin all, Does anyone know what the situation is regarding the blue badge concesion on French toll roads.
For some years now I have had the consesion allowed on some stretches of the motorway,but not on others.
If you have the blue badge they allow you to travel at group 1 instead of group 3,which is a huge saving as you can imagine when traveling the length of France on route to Spain.
Is there a list somewhere that give the sections that give the concesion.
Is it just down to the person in the box,whether they are having a bad day or not.

This has been our experience. We are usually turned down by middle aged men, we dont argue just accept what they say and move on. We count it as a bonus if we manage to get the reduction. A friend of ours argued the toss when he was coming home and after 10 minutes, honking horns from behind him and raised blood pressure; they eventually received the reduction. We considered it far too much hassle!

Ginny and Mike

Nov 6, 2008
Ramsey, Isle of Man.
Funster No
MH
Coachmen Concord 300TS
Exp
8 years with an RV
Well done wanderer! You have borrowed a blue badge many times to park in hospitals and town centres! Thats just great! l have a blue badge because l am disabled having had my leg amputated below the knee, and the amount of times l have had to walk distances at hospitals, and in town, is unbelievable because people with no disabilities, like you, take up disabled parking spaces! l only hope you never become really disabled, and have to put up with what l have to put up with, including abuse when l challenge people! DISABLED PARKING IS FOR DISABLED PEOPLE! NOT for someone who knows someone with a badge! And NOT for people with Range Rover Vogues who somehow feel that they are entitled to park in these spaces because there is more room. Even my wife will not use the badge if l am not with her! If ever anyone ever becomes really disabled, you will understand what l am ranting about! Please leave these spaces for the disabled!
Craig.

OP
OP
Snowbird

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Hi
I am unsure in my mind why a blue badge holder should be eligible for toll concessions . As far as i am aware thet are not specific to individual vehicles and are open to abuse.They are handed out far to easily £5 and a form to your local council. Do wardens and toll booth operators really ensure that the blue badge holder is in every vehicle that claims the concession.
I only mention this as i have 2 relations holding blue badges neither of them is any less able than me . I have borrowed a badge many times for hospital visiting and town centre shopping and have never been challenged mind you i do walk with a make believe limp when i get out out of the car
Tongue in cheek
Wanderer
I know that blue badges are not specific to the vehicle,but the vehicle must be registered disabled on the logbook,which mine is,to get the consesion.
Dartford,Severn bridge,M6 toll all require the vehicle to be registered disabled.
As regards to the `borrowing`of blue badges,this is exactly what gives genuine disabled people a bad press,and I condem the use of this practice.:Angry:

welsh winger

Free Member
Jul 7, 2009
Sunny Swansea
Funster No
MH
swift lifestyle
Exp
4 years
I know that blue badges are not specific to the vehicle,but the vehicle must be registered disabled on the logbook,which mine is,to get the consesion.
Dartford,Severn bridge,M6 toll all require the vehicle to be registered disabled.
As regards to the `borrowing`of blue badges,this is exactly what gives genuine disabled people a bad press,and I condem the use of this practice.:Angry:

I was not aware that the car had to be registered disabled, my motor home is my cars not, I use the blue badge on both vehicles, I will have to look in to this as my understanding is slightly different, will find out and re post.

Nick

Just looked up the rules on the Swansea city web site and found this.

The badge is designed to be displayed in any motor vehicle that is used for travel by a badge
holder to claim the concessions detailed below.

the link to the page is
Link Removed

Last edited:
OP
OP
Snowbird

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
I was not aware that the car had to be registered disabled, my motor home is my cars not, I use the blue badge on both vehicles, I will have to look in to this as my understanding is slightly different, will find out and re post.

Nick
I think you have missunderstood my post.
To get the toll consesion,the vehicle has to be registered disabled.
You of course can use your badge in any other vehicle you are traveling in,but you will not get the toll consesion.

welsh winger

Free Member
Jul 7, 2009
Sunny Swansea
Funster No
MH
swift lifestyle
Exp
4 years
Hi snowbird, yes I did miss the main plot, but I use my badge on the Severn bridge in any vehicle, including a Luton van when we moved my daughter, think the rules, as the link I posted are up to the operator in the UK, as for France I have found it not worth the bother and would rather use the A type roads.

Nick

Teasy2007

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2007
Rotherham South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu PVC
Exp
Since 2005
I think you have missunderstood my post.
To get the toll consesion,the vehicle has to be registered disabled.
You of course can use your badge in any other vehicle you are traveling in,but you will not get the toll consesion.

One of the toll men explained that we would not receive the concession because the motorhome did not appear to have been altered for disabled access.

The next toll booth gave us the concessions without any problem.

twooks

Free Member
Aug 22, 2007
Funster No
Hi
Tongue in cheek
Wanderer

to [roughly] quote the French parking signs on their disabled slots

take my pitch, take my disability

not tongue in cheek Wanderer - in fact seriously unfunny -
if you think I'm joking - try living with a disability sometime - there's lots to choose from

GregM

Free Member
Nov 2, 2009
Nottinghamshire
Funster No
Exp
June 09
Hi
Tongue in cheek
Wanderer
I suffer from cerbral palsey and it makes me sick that people liike you think it is OK to pretend to be disabled. You have absolutely no ideaa what it is like having to park further away because SICK people like you think its funny to park in disabled bays.

GregM

Free Member
Nov 2, 2009
Nottinghamshire
Funster No
Exp
June 09
Hi snowbird, yes I did miss the main plot, but I use my badge on the Severn bridge in any vehicle, including a Luton van when we moved my daughter, think the rules, as the link I posted are up to the operator in the UK, as for France I have found it not worth the bother and would rather use the A type roads.

Nick

I have driven through Dartford tunnel (although not recently) many times and it does all depend on the operator, some get out and check tax disc to see if car is taxed as disabled, others don't. Some give you slips to fill out for future use to save time, others say you have to be given and then complete the slip at the booth when needed.

OP
OP
Snowbird

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
I have driven through Dartford tunnel (although not recently) many times and it does all depend on the operator, some get out and check tax disc to see if car is taxed as disabled, others don't. Some give you slips to fill out for future use to save time, others say you have to be given and then complete the slip at the booth when needed.
Hi, Dartford has changed the rools last year.
They dont give out the slips anymore.
They now always get out of the booth,check the taxdisc,then fill the slip in for you to sign.

GregM

Free Member
Nov 2, 2009
Nottinghamshire
Funster No
Exp
June 09
Hi, Dartford has changed the rools last year.
They dont give out the slips anymore.
They now always get out of the booth,check the taxdisc,then fill the slip in for you to sign.
Thanks for the update. That must be a right pain for others if you end up hitting the tunnel at peak times.

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Read the thread with interest because a disabled friend of mine is thinking of coming down to Portugal and was interested to know the peage rules. And what comes up?

Wanderer's post...

I was pretty fed up with the last two days' poor weather but I am even more fed up now.

JJ

twooks

Free Member
Aug 22, 2007
Funster No
Read the thread with interest because a disabled friend of mine is thinking of coming down to Portugal and was interested to know the peage rules. And what comes up?

Wanderer's post...

I was pretty fed up with the last two days' poor weather but I am even more fed up now.

JJ

naw, that's not the right way to react, I'm lying here with flu - right off alcohol and coffee - my parents are 70 odd miles away and they're not doing so good either -

but

just put some bird food out and the garden looks lively again
about to curl up with a good book that Santa brought
discovered lots of good people in and around where my parents are

and - the days are gradually getting longer

this too will pass - remember

:thumb:

OP
OP
Snowbird

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000

Wanderer's post...

JJ
Hi JJ, Am afraid as most of the time we seem to be wandering off the original post.
The disabled badge for some reason is a thorn in some peoples sides.
I realy dont know why,am sure most disabled people would love to be fully able bodied,but there you go.
My original post was regarding French toll roads,mainly becouse it affects me and many other disabled people.
The difference in cost from class 1 to class 3 can run into quite a lot of money,especialy now with the exchange rate being as it is.
If this post can help a disabled person enjoy there motorhome in the sun as an able bodied motorhomer does,it has served its purpose.
If any able bodied people are offended by the disabled. TOUGH.

bevo

Free Member
Nov 15, 2008
north west
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
dartford crossing

hi snowbird.
slightly off topic.
for crossing at dartford they now issue credit card size passes valid for 2 years.
when i use ours you go through a manned booth (just in case) and the number plate recognition cameras let you through.
if they don't you have your card.
has worked for me.
details can be found here

Link Removed

M&L

Free Member
Jan 26, 2008
North Lincolnshire
Funster No
Exp
Back on topic we were told at several toll booths in France a couple of years ago now that they will not give any concession when travelling in motorhomes. Before this we did get the cheaper rate but it changed all of a sudden.
I believe that the rules changed and you will be very lucky to get any reduction now, we have certainly stopped trying.
Travelling down to Spain at the end of Jan though so may be worth trying again.

estcres

Free Member
Oct 9, 2007
Sunny Bournemouth
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2005
Please leave these spaces for the disabled!
Craig.

No problem with your request but I do request one thing in return, Can Blue Badge Holders please use their allocated parking spaces and not occupy no-disbaled parking spaces.

If everyone did as they were requested there would not be this constant argueing.

OP
OP
Snowbird

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Back on topic we were told at several toll booths in France a couple of years ago now that they will not give any concession when travelling in motorhomes. Before this we did get the cheaper rate but it changed all of a sudden.
I believe that the rules changed and you will be very lucky to get any reduction now, we have certainly stopped trying.
Travelling down to Spain at the end of Jan though so may be worth trying again.
Thanks for that info, the last time I traveled on the peage with the MH was in March and I found the tolls in the north of France were more likely to give the consesion.
I know that diferent sections of the tolls are owned by diferent companys and I thought it was mabe one companys policy to give it and anothers not.
But then again,thats only a thought.

wireman

Free Member
Dec 18, 2007
Chesterfield
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
No problem with your request but I do request one thing in return, Can Blue Badge Holders please use their allocated parking spaces and not occupy no-disbaled parking spaces.

If everyone did as they were requested there would not be this constant argueing.

Ha bloody ha. Tell you what matey, you put up with my disability and you can have my blue badge with pleasure...and I hope you find as many helpful people like you along the way to help out. Have you tried parking a MH in a BB space? No. shut up then.

peter marshall

Free Member
Mar 5, 2009
Cleveleys,Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Low Line
Exp
9 Years
Hi
Tongue in cheek
Wanderer
I have a blue badge and do find it useful at times, To the observer it may seem there is nothing wrong with me BUT there is, I don't always park in the bays provided leaving them free for the more seriously impaired ie sever walking difficulties, If you would care to publish the badge numbers issuing authority and names of the badge holders you misuse I will endeavor to have them rescinded because they know its wrong to loan them out, then perhaps the people with a genuine need will be able to use the facilities provided.:Angry: :Angry::Angry::Angry:

GregM

Free Member
Nov 2, 2009
Nottinghamshire
Funster No
Exp
June 09

Tell you what, I will swap you. You get my disability and my badge and I get to be 'normal'.

I hope you then enjoy trying to find a disabled parking bay that is wide enough to get out off the car with ease and when you discover there are just 2 spaces which are taken by p*55 takers and you can't find anywhere to park you can turn around and go home.

Nov 6, 2008
Ramsey, Isle of Man.
Funster No
MH
Coachmen Concord 300TS
Exp
8 years with an RV
l would love to use disabled parking spaces all the time. But, they are more often than not occupied by thoughtless, careless, "it doesn't apply to me" people, who have borrowed, or gotten a blue badge through deception. Until l became disabled, l didn't realise how useful these spaces were. As many have said before, you can have my badge with pleasure along with my disability (serious motorcycle injury, 15 operations, and loss of limb). Any takers?

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
Blue badges

Just off topic a bit-
If a non disabled person is found using a disabled badge, the badge can be confiscated.

I went up to a lady at a large shopping centre in Essex, and advised her politely, that she should not park in the disabled bays as she did not have a blue badge. she asked what it had to do with me, and I said everything, as my sister is in a wheelchair.

She gave me such a look :whatthe: I thought she was going to smack me one, but she got back in her car, slammed the door and drove off.

So the moral of the story is be prepared to be hit if you question someone!!!!

Personally, I tend to park at the edges of a car park, so that I get a bit of a walk, being lucky enough that I can walk!

S.

peter marshall

Free Member
Mar 5, 2009
Cleveleys,Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Low Line
Exp
9 Years
What I have noticed at our local Morrison's the Bank cash machines are behind the Designated bays and the bays are always used by the lazy to get their cash and although not for long you cant stop and wait as this then blocks the lane, so you do see lots of the older folk driving past and in the recent weather its no joke.:Angry::Angry: Pete
Ps I haven't tried the French Peages as I didn't know about using the badge but perhaps next time, worth a go ta

Last edited:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
The Blue Badge scheme :

The Blue Badge scheme The Blue Badge scheme provides a national range of parking concessions for disabled people with severe mobility problems who have difficulty using public transport. The scheme is designed to help severely disabled people to travel independently, as either a driver or passenger, by allowing them to park close to their destination. The national concessions only apply to on-street parking. They do not apply to off-street car parks, such as supermarket car parks, or privately owned roads, such as those you find at airports.

My question.

I fully support the scheme, but if a concession is given why should others on state benefits not also be eligible.. and why should holders expect a concession for a French peage, UK tolls or indeed to park free in a private car park ?

jim

Last edited:

lost-a-spanner

Free Member
Dec 28, 2009
Port Ste Foy et Ponchapt
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
Aye-up... Most French tolls for motorhomes are reduced to "car tariff" if you explain that its your only means of transport and not a holiday only vehicle. Just ask politely and you'll get a result. lack of language is no excuse :Blush:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back