Anyone with a MH living in or travelling through Cumbria? (1 Viewer)

JumboBeef

Free Member
Jul 27, 2009
Funster No
In my search for our MH, it would help if I could catch up with another MH owner living in or travelling through Cumbria.

Apart from having a generally chat about MHs, I would love to know what size of MH could get up my drive (we live on a single track lane and the turn onto our drive is a bit tight because of hedges). I've tried to measure the turn and I guess the max lenght of MH we could have is about 20' (ish) but would love to know if something longer could make the turn.

Anyone want to drop in with their MH and have a cup of tea? We are near Penrith (J40/41, M6).

Cheers :thumb:

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
better have a word with scotjim he knows just the camper .he put a pic on awhile ago .i think it was made specially for cumbria.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
better have a word with scotjim he knows just the camper .he put a pic on awhile ago .i think it was made specially for cumbria.

do you mean this one ?? :roflmto:

rv.jpeg

Ambilkate

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 15, 2009
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
HYMER 654
Exp
since 2006
We are supposed to be visiting my brother over the new year, he lives in workington not sure if possible now just have to wait and see. If we do go we have a 23ft sundance we could try it out for you will pm you nearer time.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
yes jim i think its made for cumbia there is another for gloucester and i think there was one for somewhere else or only a colour change.
its not funny really glad i,m not there . quite frightening . was at tagazoute 11-12 years ago when the bridge in bannana village got took away couldnt go anywhere . three days and the military built a temporary one .
they were building a new one last winter and lost alot of equipment when we had a storm .loads of gear washed out to sea .we were stuck up in the hills for 4 days couldnt move.

Venita

Free Member
Jul 6, 2009
Co. Durham
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
Hi, we live in Weardale Co Durham and could have a drive up next Sunday if you would like. Our truck is 23ft long.

OP
OP
JumboBeef

JumboBeef

Free Member
Jul 27, 2009
Funster No
Hi, we live in Weardale Co Durham and could have a drive up next Sunday if you would like. Our truck is 23ft long.

Thanks! ...........but I am working this coming weekend :Sad: I am (currently) around the following weekend (but that might change), and often around during the week.

Don't make a special trip just for me though!

imprint

Free Member
Jul 14, 2009
Funster No
Anyone with a MH living or travelling through Cumbria?

Sorry, guys and gals, but my first campervan beats you bunch.

31 feet long,8 ft 2ins wide, 8ft 10 ins high, a DUKW.

Mine, before I owned it, was one of the first four to cross the channel under its own power. We had a fantastic time 6 june 1984, (D-day + 40 years), with going into the water around 5.30am a most eerie experience, and climbing up onto the surviving concrete caissons still a vivid memory.

Then the hooliganism. See a cyclist stopped at traffic lights, creep up behind him - it was silent, outside, as the silencer was inboard - then hoot. He's look behind, then up, as our sloping bow towered over him.Then he'd fall over...

The DUKW became our cricket club's amphibious charabanc, more memories of driving round Suusex lanes by moonlight, or taking Veterans to Armistice Day commemorations and so on.

I had a large crew of 'Colonels', and we'd camp all over the place, air shows being a favourite. As I write, there's a photo on my wall of a race we had at Biggin Hill with a Gosling - a flying boat. He cheated, as he had two engines, and could fly as well as swim and drive on dry land, so he took off, leaving me on the grass beside the runway.

OK, we had a tilt, (canvas top to you civilians) but the TUKW boxes made great bunks - in every way, a super introduction to Motorhome fun!

Deservedly, I've quite a lot to be modest about, but this must score highly on any list.

Cheers

OP
OP
JumboBeef

JumboBeef

Free Member
Jul 27, 2009
Funster No
Bump!

Still looking for someone to come by and show me your length (and girth!)

Free tea and biscults!

Ambilkate

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 15, 2009
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
HYMER 654
Exp
since 2006
We are hopefully still coming your way in the new year, so if no one else has been by then a biscuit and cup tea sounds good.::bigsmile:

OP
OP
JumboBeef

JumboBeef

Free Member
Jul 27, 2009
Funster No
We are hopefully still coming your way in the new year, so if no one else has been by then a biscuit and cup tea sounds good.::bigsmile:

You're more than welcome :thumb: How big is your one? :winky:

Anyone else? We'll even get the really nice biscuits out ::bigsmile:

OP
OP
JumboBeef

JumboBeef

Free Member
Jul 27, 2009
Funster No
Tea and biscults still being offered to anyone heading this way!

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
from what ive heard about the weather over there is anyone daft enough ? :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

whoever comes to the rescue have them reverse in as the turning radius is a lot tighter.

i can get the 24ft kontiki in our drive both ways, just, but reversing is by far the easiest way.

OP
OP
JumboBeef

JumboBeef

Free Member
Jul 27, 2009
Funster No
Whether is fine where we are! M6 is fine, then you drive four miles down a major B road, totally OK (lots of HVGs use it). Turn into our lane ~ OK, ungritted but flat and no problem to get through (I've just watched a milk tanker come through, and the mobile library too!).

Lots of very nice biscults on offer! :thumb:

How long is your one Pappajohn? Did I read somewhere that you were thinking of selling it?

Last edited:
OP
OP
JumboBeef

JumboBeef

Free Member
Jul 27, 2009
Funster No
Will be passing your place between 10am/11am Boxing Day, pm me if not sorted.

Well, a MASSIVE thanks to Dave and Kath, who turned up in their lovely MH (that's me on the right).

Link Removed

We tried the turn into our driveway, but were defeated, not by the turn, but by the snow and ice.

Link Removed

Thanks again for popping by, and we hope you enjoy the rest of your holiday:thumb:

Ambilkate

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 15, 2009
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
HYMER 654
Exp
since 2006
Hi. so are you sorted now. What size van was it? sorry I pm you before i saw this post.

OP
OP
JumboBeef

JumboBeef

Free Member
Jul 27, 2009
Funster No
Hi. so are you sorted now. What size van was it? sorry I pm you before i saw this post.

28', I think. I don't know if it would have gone arond the turn anyway, so if you are heading this way, it would be great if you would like to pop in and see what you think would go around the bend :thumb:

Ambilkate

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 15, 2009
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
HYMER 654
Exp
since 2006
28', I think. I don't know if it would have gone arond the turn anyway, so if you are heading this way, it would be great if you would like to pop in and see what you think would go around the bend :thumb:

Sorry we have decided weather to bad have pm you. Will keep eye on thread, if you are not sorted by the time we do eventually come your way we will pop in.
Happy New Year to you.

Kate x

OP
OP
JumboBeef

JumboBeef

Free Member
Jul 27, 2009
Funster No
Have replied to your PM, and thanks.

Still looking for someone/anyone! who would like to pop in on their way through. I would really love to know what size MH we could get on our drive!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back