Dec 3, 2009
surrey
Funster No
MH
hymer A class
Exp
since 2010
Merry X'mas to everyone
Never own a motorhome before, seem a mirage 5000 advistised for approx 24K 2000year Searched in web did not find out much except that it is Italian made and an owner club which neeeds to be member to go in.
I would be gratful if anyone can give any advise and infro , fairprice, build quality, what to look at/for experience with this made etc. Anything Thanks in advance

Chudders

Free Member
Jan 17, 2009
Newquay, Cornwall
Funster No
I have a feeling that they were made specifically for Marquis motorhomes. They may be able to give you some information. I had a friend who had one and absolutely loved it. He now has a Hymer but wishes he still had the Mirage.
Sorry cant help more
Merry Christmas
Dave
In Feb 2009 Practical Motorhome there was a mini road test revisited on a Marquis Mirage 5000 SE if you want to get a back issue. Says its a Dealer exclusive Italian A Class with a British Flavour etc. The original full test it says was in the July 2004 issue
Regards, Dave

Last edited:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Johns Cross Motorhomes, has one for sale ..
2000 Mirage 5000 Aire £24995

Peter is a member on here and should be able to give some more information.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Johns Cross Motorhomes, has one for sale ..
2000 Mirage 5000 Aire £24995

Peter is a member on here and should be able to give some more information.

Thanks Jim:thumb:
-----------------------------

If you give Lawrence or Andy a ring they can tell you lots more about the van, we re-open on 28th December but give them a ring first on 01-580-881288.

Peter

---------------------------

Fiat Ducato 2800cc Turbo Diesel ManualLength: 21' 4" (6.5m) Layout: End Kitchen Height: 9' 6" (2.9m) Berths: Four Berth Mileage: 25445 Specification: -This 2000 Mirage 5000 Aire includes an on board electric generator,
-LPG gas tank,
-Roof mounted air conditioning unit,
-Cab air conditioning
-Solar panel,
-Status 530 directional aerial,
-Fiamma Fiamma bike rack,
-Omnistore canopy.
As well as this the vehicle has all the usual features like on board waste and water tanks, Thetford cassette toilet with electric flush, fulll sized gas oven with electric ignition, three way fridge to be powered by 240v, 12v and gas, an external socket for mains input, all round blinds and flyscreens, panoramic rooflight, blown air heating and Truma hot water system.

Attachments

• mirage.jpg
    mirage.jpg
    26.4 KB · Views: 90
  • mirage2.jpg
    mirage2.jpg
    27.8 KB · Views: 86
OP
OP

Free Member
Dec 3, 2009
surrey
Funster No
MH
hymer A class
Exp
since 2010
thanks for responding
I really need more independant infro before picking up courage to approach dealer
Any one owns one please share your experience to what you think

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
I really need more independant infro before picking up courage to approach dealer

What's that about ?

YOU have enormous power over them. You have money, they NEED it.

Now you can be a prat and be bullied by them or YOU take charge and keep them in their place.

But remember you more or less hand over that power when you sign up. Be sure you are happy with the MH and just as important them.

Take your time and loads of photographs. Sit in, lounge in, pretend cook in, pretend sleep, pretend shower, in your possible MH. Then go away and dream about it. Look at the pictures, look for similar ones on the web. Make the dealer sweat a bit.

Once you've been inside you can ask us better questions.

It would be so easy if they were all as decent as John's Cross.

OP
OP

Free Member
Dec 3, 2009
surrey
Funster No
MH
hymer A class
Exp
since 2010
What's that about ?

Once you've been inside you can ask us better questions

It would be so easy if they were all as decent as John's Cross.

Ok will ring then for an appointment , But what should I be asking then?
by the way are you friend of john cross

Blisters

Free Member
Apr 2, 2008
Stoke on Trent
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
March 2006
Heres the link

Link Removed

Although im sure Alan as now sold this

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Ok will ring then for an appointment , But what should I be asking then?
by the way are you friend of john cross

I've never met the man, that's Peter, the owner. But I have chatted to him on here and ( there ) for a couple of years. He seems to be very successful in business so he does not need to cheat. If he's not genuine he's the cleverest performer I've ever seen. He certainly feels like a friend.

First question - "is it open".
Second question - "can we have some time to ourselves".

Then the most important part. Can YOU happily live in there day after day in sunshine and rain. Do everything you'd be doing. Reading, TV, cooking, sleeping, pooing. Get a real feel for it.

After that condition and running costs. How do things work, if not obvious. Is the a FUN discount :)

I've just read the advert for it. Low mileage. Top quality on paper. It's got everything that most of us shell out hundreds/thousands for. Lots of lounge space. Not obvious where you sleep. If it's the lounge seats than can be a downer. It might not be obvious but you probably can't run the aircon without hookup.

Rattle doors and drawers, get a feel if it's all style or properly put together.

Definitely worth a good look.

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
I've never met the man, that's Peter, the owner. But I have chatted to him on here and ( there ) for a couple of years. He seems to be very successful in business so he does not need to cheat. If he's not genuine he's the cleverest performer I've ever seen. He certainly feels like a friend.

First question - "is it open".
Second question - "can we have some time to ourselves".

Then the most important part. Can YOU happily live in there day after day in sunshine and rain. Do everything you'd be doing. Reading, TV, cooking, sleeping, pooing. Get a real feel for it.

After that condition and running costs. How do things work, if not obvious. Is the a FUN discount :)

I've just read the advert for it. Low mileage. Top quality on paper. It's got everything that most of us shell out hundreds/thousands for. Lots of lounge space. Not obvious where you sleep. If it's the lounge seats than can be a downer. It might not be obvious but you probably can't run the aircon without hookup.

Rattle doors and drawers, get a feel if it's all style or properly put together.

Definitely worth a good look.

As far as I am aware, it is self sufficient in that the on board genny runs on the LPG gas tank. It also has a solar panel to charge the leisure battery.

It has an double over cab bed which drops down, which you can leave 'made up' plus you can make up two single beds on the side facing seats.

All our vans are open and unlocked during the day and any one is welcome to sit and ponder on their own for as long as they like.

All our vans come with a five year habitation service voucher included plus warranty.

As far as test drives are concerned, we may need a bit of notice depending on where the van is located on the foreourt, we may need to shift a few to get it out!

Peter

Attachments

• mirage kitchen.jpg
    mirage kitchen.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 52
  • Mirage shower.jpg
    Mirage shower.jpg
    18.5 KB · Views: 46

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
As far as I am aware, it is self sufficient in that the on board genny runs on the LPG gas tank. It also has a solar panel to charge the leisure battery.
Peter

I can't see you having any trouble shifting that one Peter. Looks to me like £70-100K specs worth at today's prices. Nice size, not too big.

Hey, I'll be on commission at this rate :)

But you all know me a bit now, if it looked crap I'd say so. But no, I could see a Funster have loads of fun in it.

Sight unseen you all understand.

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Major problem we have at the moment and have done for years is that our present websites are not Google friendly and I dont like spending a £100k a year on MMM advertising so people do not know what we have available.

We had a Hymer Elegance that someone was desperate for and never knew we had one and it sat on the forecourt for some time, it was only being a member on a forum and I spotted it that it got bought, lovely van which I fell in love with, but busines is business!

The link that was posted for the Mirage does not go direct to the van, only to our home page and Google does not read all the vans and accessories etc we have.

Come Jan 4th 2010 our new website will be launched and that IS very Google friendly and Google links will go direct to the item whether it be a motorhome or an accessory PLUS it will be able to automatically give Funsters discounts for on line orders:thumb:

Peter

warwick

Free Member
Sep 16, 2008
Funster No
We owned a Mirage 5000 for 5 years, a few problems with the Fiat Base but apart from a leaking windscreen and a doorlock no problems with the caravan side. The screen leaked and was resealed under warranty, the lock gave up after nearly five years. The main difficulty now is the Italian Mirage company went out of business about 2 years ago making some bodywork spares difficult, I don`t know how difficult it would be to obtain a new windscreen for example worth checking, and definitely worth a close inspection for any chips on the existing screen. Solidly built vans quite heavy, do you need a 3850Kg van? Check all door/locker hinges, ours went stiff despite being well maintained. Rubberised roof - check carefully condition, ensure no sign of repairs and general condition, rubber sheet is actually very thin and ours was quite marked with mildew spots but never had any problem, in fact sealing was considerably better than some other vans. Examine condition of light fittings in bathroom for condition of finish.
Cushions and curtains were of a good quality the mattress was a bit lightweight and not the most comfortable, check the gas struts by raising and lowering the bed.
On the engine side check when the timing belt was last changed, plus the usual service history, take out for a test drive and listen for any turbo noise accelerating up hills, ours used to make a loudish gurgling noise at about 40-50MPH not the end of the world but annoying.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back