Dec 6, 2009
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Laika
Exp
n/a
Hello all you funsters

I would like to ask a question and give a chance for the great minds on this forum to give their opinions on the subject of MH security both internal and external and also cover the subject of Thatcham approved systems that are covered by an insurance company.

Its all a bit premature for me as I don’t even own a MH yet but hope to in the future and I’m sure your thoughts would be useful for others on this wonderful forum.
The questions are
1 what is the best security system for a MH
2 Will it be coved by the insurance company

Question 1

This is one statement from a supplier

“I now supply and install the ***** range of Thatcham approved alarm and immobilizer systems. A typical motorhome installation will include ultrasonic movement sensors in the cab, a wireless PIR motion detector in the living

Yet I have read on another companies website that there are No Thatcham approved alarm wireless systems.

Question 2
Quote from another website
The ABI (the insurers) own and maintain MIRRC (Thatcham) whose engineers say that a passenger car alarm is inappropriate for fitting to a diesel van. Is this true?

So is it ok to have a wireless PIR motion detector and is it good enough and is it covered by your insurance ?

I hope this does not ramble on to much
Thank you in anticipation for your thoughts.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Hi John,

The Strikeback by VanBitz is Thatcham approved and custom designed for the motorhome. Most others are car alarms adapted to work as well as they can in a motorhome. Having a Thatcham approved alarm is one thing, but most importantly they have to be fitted properly, preferably by people who understand motorhomes. Good reasons to have Vanbitz provide and install a security system!

Alarms are a small part of your overall security plan. To protect yourself and your property whilst travelling, you should buy theLink Removed. It really is the definitive Guide to staying safe on your travels. :thumb:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
1 what is the best security system for a MH
2 Will it be coved by the insurance company

1. A pet lion.
2. Oh no.

You are talking about a tin ( or plastic ) box with lots of plastic windows with plastic catches and it's full of goodies. Then you want to park is in lovely isolated places and expect it to be there when you come back from your walk.

Nothing less than a lion will deliver this. An alarm is pretty useless, at best it will limit their time inside. A very simple alarm will alert you when asleep.

If you buy such a posh van the insurers insist on a specific alarm then your hands are tied.

Fiats have a decent engine immobiliser.

Fiats have tin doors you can open in seconds.

Jim sells answers for a few coppers, but I think he overlooks the advantages of lions.

There - that should generate a few replies :)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
J

john-A

Free Member
Dec 6, 2009
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Laika
Exp
n/a
Hi John,

The Strikeback by VanBitz is Thatcham approved and custom designed for the motorhome. Most others are car alarms adapted to work as well as they can in a motorhome. Having a Thatcham approved alarm is one thing, but most importantly they have to be fitted properly, preferably by people who understand motorhomes. Good reasons to have Vanbitz provide and install a security system!

Alarms are a small part of your overall security plan. To protect yourself and your property whilst travelling, you should buy theLink Removed. It really is the definitive Guide to staying safe on your travels. :thumb:
Thanks Jim
I will take your good advise and buy a Motorhome Security Handbook.just before I buy my MH think it will be money well spent.
I have sen VanBitz website and think I will be I will be talking to them later but thanks for the info.

OP
OP
J

john-A

Free Member
Dec 6, 2009
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Laika
Exp
n/a
1. A pet lion.
2. Oh no.

You are talking about a tin ( or plastic ) box with lots of plastic windows with plastic catches and it's full of goodies. Then you want to park is in lovely isolated places and expect it to be there when you come back from your walk.

Nothing less than a lion will deliver this. An alarm is pretty useless, at best it will limit their time inside. A very simple alarm will alert you when asleep.

If you buy such a posh van the insurers insist on a specific alarm then your hands are tied.

Fiats have a decent engine immobiliser.

Fiats have tin doors you can open in seconds.

Jim sells answers for a few coppers, but I think he overlooks the advantages of lions.

There - that should generate a few replies :)
Great idea but Im not cleaning up after it :ROFLMAO:

chris v

Free Member
Feb 14, 2009
Burton upon Trent
Funster No
nothing to do with your post but...

Hi,
I was in the RCT as well, at Marchwood, water transport:thumb::thumb:
Chris
PS "Purchase discharge 1969" explains how much I enjoyed it:RollEyes:
pps I do have a "strikeback" though

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

john-A

Free Member
Dec 6, 2009
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Laika
Exp
n/a
Hi,
I was in the RCT as well, at Marchwood, water transport:thumb::thumb:
Chris

pps I do have a "strikeback" though

Hi Chris
After my demob I was discharged from the RCT and transferred to the reserve, reporting to an amphibious sqn but never got called, pity I was looking forward to getting to drive the ducks
How have you got on with the Strikeback because its on my list of thing to do when I get a MH

chris v

Free Member
Feb 14, 2009
Burton upon Trent
Funster No
Strikeback

Hi again,
We have never had any problems with the alarm, it allows you to set the perimeter only without the internal sensors so that you (or your dog) can be inside without setting it off but the doors etc. are still "on". If the alarm goes off I get a text messeage to say so and I can also check the status by sending a text messeage to it, very useful for checking battery levels without going outside. We had the free battery master which means that the vehicle battery is always topped up. Instructions for operating the text system come under the heading of gobbledegook and when I phoned for clarification the nice lady told me to read the manual:Doh: but I eventually sorted it out. There are different options available which I will not go into but the bottom line is it does what it says on the tin, however insurance company would not give me a discount.
Regards and merry christmas,
Chris
ps Marchwood was a dump which was alledgedly sinking into the ground, not to soon for me:Angry:

ips

Free Member
Jul 3, 2009
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Have always camped, caravaned or had boats. Now in our second year with the motorhome.
I use the same security as I do at home..................... a baseball bat (purely for playing baseball of course) ::bigsmile:

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
As I have said on here before a Vanbitz alarm imho is as good as you will get its about workmanship and quality of components they do know what they are doing

smifee

Free Member
Jun 18, 2008
chandler's ford
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
I look at security from the 'what am I trying to prevent' angle.

The lowest level is the smash & grab merchant. He smashes a cab window, opens the door and makes off with what he can carry.

To prevent this fit & use deadlocks on the cab doors with an alarm system with a glass break detector. Don't leave anything of value in the cab.

The next level up is someone who forces a locker door,habitation door or window to steal from inside the vehicle or take the vehicle.

To prevent/deter this have a deadlock fitted to the habitation door and an alarm that covers habitation & locker doors, a movement detector, and an immobiliser. Extra loud sirens which make just being in the van painful are also a good idea.

Because of the deadlocks make sure that you have an escape plan for all occupants in case of fire. My plan is simple we all get out of windows.

The top level is a thief stealing a van to order. That's why I have insurance.

All the above relate to the van being unoccupied. A dog & a meat cleaver:Eeek: are my additions to the above when I'm in the van.

I have had Strikeback alarms fitted by Vanbitz on 4 vans and recommend them without reservation.

wanderer

Free Member
Apr 14, 2008
huntingdon
Funster No
MH
a class Arto
Exp
since 2008
hi
The guy on the next pitch to me 2 weeks ago had a stun gun and a bolt gun plus various knives secreted in his van . Good luck to any thief it certainly made me feel uncomfortable
Wanderer

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
hi
The guy on the next pitch to me 2 weeks ago had a stun gun and a bolt gun plus various knives secreted in his van . Good luck to any thief it certainly made me feel uncomfortable
Wanderer

good luck to him if he ever had to use any of them.

every one is an offensive weapon, the stun gun is also an illegal weapon, in the eyes of the law and carrying them 'just in case' is a sure way to a holiday at her majesties pleasure. :Eeek:

parigby

Free Member
Aug 20, 2009
Ludlow
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
20 years
Sophisticated alarm systems didn't stop my MoHome from being trashed to order a couple of weeks back.

But there again as someone posted earlier, that's what the insurance cover is for, provided you have done everything they ask of you.

OP
OP
J

john-A

Free Member
Dec 6, 2009
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Laika
Exp
n/a
Thanks to all for your kinds thoughts and time.Have a safe happy and health Christmas and New Year.
John::bigsmile:

Dec 4, 2007
worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Winnebago
Exp
20 years
Any security is better than thinking it wont happen to me , l meet people every day who have had security problems with there motorhomes and new types of crime keep coming, l could write a book, it seems when we go abroad in our Rv,s we leave our brains at home few simple rules leave nothing in your van unless its in a safe, allways park on the level if you leave your van on carparks and dont sleep aware. Paul

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Any security is better than thinking it wont happen to me , l meet people every day who have had security problems with there motorhomes and new types of crime keep coming, l could write a book, it seems when we go abroad in our Rv,s we leave our brains at home few simple rules leave nothing in your van unless its in a safe, allways park on the level if you leave your van on carparks and dont sleep aware. Paul

No need Paul, I already wrote one::bigsmile:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back