Free Member
Jun 26, 2009
Spain & Midlands
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
New this year 2009
Hi, Have looked for info on our problems on forums but nothing seems to cover it. We have just put a new gas bottle on, having run out completely. We can't get any gas through now. Any idea what the problem is? Is it just the cold? Or is the fact that we have a two bottle system and only one bottle attached at the moment? (problems with supply locally!) Apparently its calor gas. (As you can tell, I don't do gas and hubby doesn't do computers! Oh joy!!)
Trying to leave the heating on low overnight when not sleeping in van, to stop any probs.
Thanks for any help you may have
Kate (in Midlands not Spain!)

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Hi Kate

is the bottle blue ( butane ) or red (propane ) ?

if blue then it's too cold for it, change to red for winter use , you will also need a propane regulator ..

jim

Upvote 0

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Any idea what the problem is?

Long time ago I remember having this problem and when I took the cylinder back the old guy immediately said "Overfilled".

He took it outside, opened the valve and liquid came out. The liquid cannot pass through the regulator.

So, WITH GREAT CARE, take the cylinder away from everywhere and open the valve for a quick blast, if liquid comes out do it a bit more. WARNING this is a bit scary.

By disconnecting the regulator any liquid in it should boil off.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

derekfaeberwick

Free Member
Dec 1, 2007
Berwick
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
9 Years
A friend has a narrow boat and he tells me he can only get gas when both bottles are connected and opened.

I haven't seen his system but he is an excellent mechanic and I would not query him on such matter. Can you borrow another bottle to see if that is the problem?

Regards, Derek and Wee

Upvote 0

chatter

Free Member
Aug 3, 2009
cheshire
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
10+
if its the blue bottle the temprature is too cold for it to 'gas' (boil) properly blue bottles have problems anywhere below 5+c. as posted you need to swop to red bottles and get the relevent regulator or pigtails if you have a bulkhead mounted system with twin feed your reg should be the one for using either butane or propane and you just need to swop the pigtails(the pipes comming from the mounted regulator). the reason you have to swop the pigtails is that the thread is different. I use propane (red) bottles all year round.
Also if you have only the one bottle connected make sure the feed switch is to that bottle and not the empty/disconnected one.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

geoff587

Free Member
Feb 13, 2009
Doncaster
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Can,t understand the 2 bottle theory, my Autotrail is a 2 bottle system but works with just one connected. A small cafe I sold recently had 2 large gas bottles connected out side and also worked with only one turned on or connected.
I have had the overfill problem, just pressed a biro into the valve to release the extra gas (liquid, cold wear a glove) and it cured the problem .:Smile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

DESCO

Free Member
Mar 11, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
18 years +12 years tugging
Just seen your problem, as its a new van has it got the Secure Motion regulator fitted.

If the pressure is released from these there is a green button on the regulator that needs to be pressed in for about 5 seconds after turning on the gas. I know it caught me out first time.
There is also a valve on top of both bottles this also has a green push button on each, and these also have to be pressed prior to the one on the regulator.

Dave :thumb::thumb:

Last edited:
Upvote 0

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Hi Kate

is the bottle blue ( butane ) or red (propane ) ?

if blue then it's too cold for it, change to red for winter use , you will also need a propane regulator ..

jim

funny you should mention that Jim,

just been out to the garage to get the calor heater and BUTANE bottle.....now, its around -2 deg out there and the garage is an all steel affair so not really warmer inside.

thought id have to wait an age for the butane to warm up but it fired up on the second click of the ignitor.

first time we've had a WARM kitchen for ages....

Upvote 0
OP
OP
K

K8inspain

Free Member
Jun 26, 2009
Spain & Midlands
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
New this year 2009
Thanks to all who took the time to post info, which I duly read out to the Kommandant. We managed to get the gas going, altho not entirely sure how! Had not probs since - touch wood! Hoping to be out in it Boxing Day (night!) so fingers crossed.
Happy Holidays:Smile:

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back