Jun 23, 2009
Staffs UK
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
3 months
Hi Guys,
During this really cold spell here in the UK, I've been using the MH as a day vehicle to enjoy the winter scenes locally. Obviously I've been using the propane fuelled blown air heating, but I've sarted to notice the sickly smell of uncombusted propane when the heating is operating. Could it be that in these sub-zero temperatures the Trumatic isn't managing to ignite all the propane fully, or could it be something else? Any help gratefully received!:shout:

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
You need to get a preasure test done pretty quick,, and I would advise not using the heater if the smell is that bad.. :Eeek:

Obviousley some one will be along to give some advise but "Dont Use"..

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Can only reinforce old-mo's advice..

DO NOT USE and get it checked ASAP

jim

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

S

S&J

Deleted User
Agree with other advice turn off and get checked but is the exhaust/flue blocked/obstructed?

Steve

john-A

Free Member
Dec 6, 2009
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Laika
Exp
n/a
One other thing to add to these comments and its an obvious:RollEyes: but needs saying as long as you smell gas make sure you have no naked lights pilot lights etc.
I agree with the other comments about getting it checked out by a qualified guy before you turn it on again

The Wallace

Free Member
Apr 3, 2009
Funster No
If the smell is outside the van then you are probably OK - my house boiler smells terrible outside in some weather conditions.
If the smell is in the van then you have problems! There should never be any smell of combustion inside the van.
It is unusual for propane to work at all in sub zero temperatures.

Landy lover

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2009
Zummerzet
Funster No
MH
27ft Eurolight
Exp
Camping Caravaning now 5'ering 49 years
It is unusual for propane to work at all in sub zero temperatures.

I think you may be confusing with Butane there - Propane ceases to boil at −42 °C so that is the point at which it will truly cease to gas. In practice most people say it will cease to produce a usable quantity of gas at about -20 °C due to the addition of a proportion of butane to it. Butane ceases to gas at O °C so it become sluggish at about 5 °C hence the reason why most winter campers opt for Propane over Butane although Butane actually is a more efficent gas. The gas is 'scented' with chemicals such as ethanethiol or thiophene so that you can smell it however this can linger in rubber pipework - the gas is 1 1/2 times heavier than air so always sinks to the lowest point which is why gas storage lockers have floor mounted vents fitted. As a normal course if you smell it inside cease using and turn off the bottles until the system can be fully checked by a professional as previously stated. IMHO with modern equipment you should not smell combustion gases inside the vehicle.

Last edited:

The Wallace

Free Member
Apr 3, 2009
Funster No
OOPS -Major boo-boo - blame the bottle of very nice red with dinner last night.(and the Cognac after)
Getting my gas mixed up and we sold the stuff when I worked in a boatyard!

Thanks for the correction Landy.

I will go and stand on the naughty step.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back