Free Member
Mar 11, 2009
Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Newbie as of January 2009!
Ok - its winter, its freezing, and our MH's battery is dead again! (we don't use it much in the winter) What do you do to prevent this? Do you take it out for regular runs (we keep meaning to but time is an issue at the moment!) or do you leave it flat for ages or do you keep topping it up with a battery charger? Hints and tips much appreciated - thank you!:Smile:

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Hi, It does not do batteries any good to leave them in a discharged state.
I keep mine topped up with solar panels,so dont have same problem.
I used to use a small charger for my kit car that you could leave plugged in all the time, they are available at most auto shops, that of course depends on if you have EHU close by.

Upvote 0

DESCO

Free Member
Mar 11, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
18 years +12 years tugging
If you have a EHU then it is best to plug in and recharge the batteries for a day every 2 weeks, this should keep them topped up through any period when not in use. Better still use it through the winter, this stops the van sitting and not being used, and suffering sleepy van syndrome.

Best of luck

Dave :thumb::thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
May 22, 2008
Funster No
A lot depends on where you store your van , if it's in your garden, keep it on hook up and the battery charger will keep your batteries charged, if the charger is switched on of course, if it is in storage somewhere and no electric available you could have a small solar panel fitted or a windscreen type that plugs into your cigar lighter, this must be live of course or the charge will go nowhere and it will need to be regulated to prevent over charge, if you don't intend to use the van for some months you could remove the battery and keep it charged at home, subject to alarms not being functional etc.An unused van does not only suffer flat battery of course, your brake discs can rust ,your engine oil can drain to the sump and rust can form in the pots , tyres can get flat spots, the list is endless so I would say take the van for a regular run and avoid the problems, run your fridge and heating etc as all can suffer from lack of use.
Some people buy older vans on the basis of low mileage buy I think this can be a problem due to lack of use due to the afor mentioned reasons, just my opinion for what it's worth.:thumb::thumb:

Upvote 0

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
A lot depends on where you store your van , if it's in your garden, keep it on hook up and the battery charger will keep your batteries charged, if the charger is switched on of course, if it is in storage somewhere and no electric available you could have a small solar panel fitted or a windscreen type that plugs into your cigar lighter, this must be live of course or the charge will go nowhere and it will need to be regulated to prevent over charge, if you don't intend to use the van for some months you could remove the battery and keep it charged at home, subject to alarms not being functional etc.An unused van does not only suffer flat battery of course, your brake discs can rust ,your engine oil can drain to the sump and rust can form in the pots , tyres can get flat spots, the list is endless so I would say take the van for a regular run and avoid the problems, run your fridge and heating etc as all can suffer from lack of use.
Some people buy older vans on the basis of low mileage buy I think this can be a problem due to lack of use due to the afor mentioned reasons, just my opinion for what it's worth.:thumb::thumb:

Thats it in a nutshell, van sitting around unloved for three months is not going to be a happy bunny and could prove expensive.

A little loving once a week does it the world of good and keeps the gremlins away:thumb:

Peter

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back