Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
Firstly my appologies if this in the wrong section.. :Doh:

My lad has a combined TV/Radio/MP player and games consul all built into one unit,, up till now it has been brilliant,, but now any disc/CD/DVD that is put in wont play,, I think the drive has packed up cos it dont go round,,,

Now can some one tell me we have a 12 volt universal thingy which will fit almost any type of electronic devise,,

So he can watch DVD`s and play games while on the move can I plug one of the "Laptops" into this gadget ?? cos the built in battery only lasts a couple of hours..

I dont want to ruin one of the laptops by trying this without a bit of advise..

Thanks in Anticipation..

Maurice..

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Hi Maurice..

short answer NO ..

lappys have different voltages depending on make .. between 14 and 24 vdc

you need to buy a 12v lappy power suppy unit, you can get a generic one with selectable out-puts to suite different lappys .. they also have a selection of plugs or tips .

check the back of the laptop to see what the correct supply voltage is.

jim

edit

I know you are in Spain but it's something like this you need ..

Link Removed

if you buy a power supply unit, check the wattage and make sure it is rated at or above the laptops wattage..

Last edited:

johnsandywhite

Free Member
Jul 29, 2007
Doncaster/Spain
Funster No
MH
'A' Class RV &
Exp
:Smile: Hi Maurice (old-mo). I have an adjustable 12 volt unit that puts out between 15 volts and 19 volts and you can change the polarity. The Polarity and the voltage are the important points to note.
Either on your mains adaptor or on the Laptop itself should be that information. Provided you 12 volt converter can get close to the voltage and have the correct polarity? Then there should be NO PROBLEM. :thumb:

Looks like Jim was answering while I was still typing. Not to worry. It's not a race after all is it?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Hi, We have the 12 volt power lead from Argos used all the time in the RV to power the laptop.
Wifey uses it on the move to play games and sort out photo`s that she has taken.
Never had a problem with it,motor running or not.

OP
OP
old-mo

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
Thanks Jim, John & Snowbird..

I think I will give that a miss,, knowing my luck I will knacker the puter..

Another one for you..
We have as far as I can see or tell an "Inverter" which is supplying a gang of 3 UK type 13 amp sockets,(We have never tried to use this), Could I run the computer of of this as we are going along ? or is it likely to ruin the battery`s,, I am not sure which battery it is hooked up to I would think the leisure batteries but not sure,, we do have a large solar panel which normally seems to keep the batterys pretty well topped up..

Thanks Yet Again..

Maurice.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang

Another one for you..
We have as far as I can see or tell an "Inverter" which is supplying a gang of 3 UK type 13 amp sockets,(We have never tried to use this), Could I run the computer of of this as we are going along ? or is it likely to ruin the battery`s,, I am not sure which battery it is hooked up to I would think the leisure batteries but not sure,, we do have a large solar panel which normally seems to keep the batterys pretty well topped up..

Thanks Yet Again..

Maurice.

No problem.. the inverter will be on the leisure batteries which are being charged as you drive..:thumb:

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000

Another one for you..

Thanks Yet Again..

Maurice.
Hi Maurice, Sorry about the confusion, I was under the impresion that you had a dedicated 12 volt power cord for your laptop.
Re, the other question about the inverter powering the laptop.
My HP wont run off an inverter,thats why I got the 12 volt dedicated power suply.

peterholden

Free Member
May 23, 2009
Funster No
Inverter not likely to ruin battery but could damage or not run the Laptop unless it is an expensive inverter that produces a pure sine wave output.

Stick to one of the gadgets that converts 12v to the input voltage of your laptop. I bought mine from CPC (Link Removed) and it works a treat with both my Acer laptop and my new Acer laptop.

johnsandywhite

Free Member
Jul 29, 2007
Doncaster/Spain
Funster No
MH
'A' Class RV &
Exp
:Cool: I have run ALL my Laptops and a Full size computer and Monitor on my Inverters. The ONLY problem I had was with Toshibas. The first, a really old one would NOT work via an Inverter. The later model would Provided there was Plenty of power in the batteries. Otherwise it would cause the Inverter to trip as if overloaded. There must be something in SOME of the Toshibas that do NOT like an average Inverter. Possibly a Sine wave Inverter would NOT be a problem with Toshibas?
I have run Dell, HP, Sony, Acer, Fujitsu, Compaq and of course the troublesome (sometimes) Toshiba. :thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back