Streaming TV without using your Tethering Allowance (1 Viewer)

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
I'm sure it has been mentioned here before but I'd forgotten about it, but this is a great way to stream TV in the van.

For entertainment when in the van we rely entirely on site wifi or mobile internet. Streaming TV like iPlayer, Netflix etc can be a pain. In the evenings when the site wifi is busy, it is too slow to stream. So we turn my phones hotspot on and use the fast 4G. All well and good but... That is "tethering" and while my contract allows me unlimited data it only allows me a few gb for tethering and I can't waste that on TV, I need it for work.

Well this workaround allows me to stream unlimited amounts of NowTV, Iplayer etc direct to my TV using my unlimited data while leaving my tethering allowance alone.

I bought a connector for my phone that allows me to directly connect a HDMI lead to it. I navigate to NowTV or whatever and start playing, then pop the adapter in and it squirts it directly to my TV. Half expecting it to just be blocky or an odd size, but no, it fills my 21inch Avtex TV with a superb quality image

My setup is an iphone 7 and I used the official Apple adapter, but there are loads of others. Not sure if other phones do this, but its a great way to use that unlimited data your paying for. (y)

Amazon product ASIN B009WHV3BM

Gorse Hill

Free Member
Feb 2, 2013
Stretford
Funster No
MH
Burnster Ixeo IT 734
Exp
I'm sure it has been mentioned here before but I'd forgotten about it, but this is a great way to stream TV in the van.

For entertainment when in the van we rely entirely on site wifi or mobile internet. Streaming TV like iPlayer, Netflix etc can be a pain. In the evenings when the site wifi is busy, it is too slow to stream. So we turn my phones hotspot on and use the fast 4G. All well and good but... That is "tethering" and while my contract allows me unlimited data it only allows me a few gb for tethering and I can't waste that on TV, I need it for work.

Well this workaround allows me to stream unlimited amounts of NowTV, Iplayer etc direct to my TV using my unlimited data while leaving my tethering allowance alone.

I bought a connector for my phone that allows me to directly connect a HDMI lead to it. I navigate to NowTV or whatever and start playing, then pop the adapter in and it squirts it directly to my TV. Half expecting it to just be blocky or an odd size, but no, it fills my 21inch Avtex TV with a superb quality image

My setup is an iphone 7 and I used the official Apple adapter, but there are loads of others. Not sure if other phones do this, but its a great way to use that unlimited data your paying for. (y)

Amazon product ASIN B009WHV3BM
I was only looking at one of these the other day in maplins to use with sky go to watch sky sports, unfortunately it won't work throu the HDMI output, legal reason am told (yet you can use the Xbox with sky go to do it but it's a bit big)
Useful info about the ability to use without eating into my tethering allowance, Thks (y)

Reactions: Jim
OP
OP
Jim

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
I was only looking at one of these the other day in maplins to use with sky go to watch sky sports, unfortunately it won't work throu the HDMI output, legal reason am told (yet you can use the Xbox with sky go to do it but it's a bit big)
Useful info about the ability to use without eating into my tethering allowance, Thks (y)

I watched Sky Sports via Now TV with it last night.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
I've got the same adapter from Apple but haven't so far used it to stream only to play films from iTunes on the van TV.

@Gorse Hill You can't shift SkyGo to any kind of external monitor. It doesn't matter if you cable connect or Bluetooth or anything else. Even screen mirroring won't work. They say it's a licensing issue but really it's to prevent abuse: You pay for Sky and give four of your mates your login details, they use SkyGo outputted to their TV, you collect £20 a month or whatever from them. They had problems in the past with people taking several multi room boxes at £10 a month and giving them to their friends and family. Allowing SkyGo on external displays would just end up as an up to date version of that scam.

Gorse Hill

Free Member
Feb 2, 2013
Stretford
Funster No
MH
Burnster Ixeo IT 734
Exp
I've got the same adapter from Apple but haven't so far used it to stream only to play films from iTunes on the van TV.

@Gorse Hill You can't shift SkyGo to any kind of external monitor. It doesn't matter if you cable connect or Bluetooth or anything else. Even screen mirroring won't work. They say it's a licensing issue but really it's to prevent abuse: You pay for Sky and give four of your mates your login details, they use SkyGo outputted to their TV, you collect £20 a month or whatever from them. They had problems in the past with people taking several multi room boxes at £10 a month and giving them to their friends and family. Allowing SkyGo on external displays would just end up as an up to date version of that scam.
That's what I found using sky go on the IPhone/IPad, I bought an Apple TV box thinking I could use airplay to cast/Mirror but it wouldn't even tried to create wifi hotspot from phone
However using the old Xbox 360 my son doesn't use I can get sky go to work on the tv via HDMI and watch sky sports, interesting no lincensing laws are applicable here

OP
OP
Jim

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988

I'm not sure if its the phone or the App that
That's what I found using sky go on the IPhone/IPad, I bought an Apple TV box thinking I could use airplay to cast/Mirror but it wouldn't even tried to create wifi hotspot from phone
However using the old Xbox 360 my son doesn't use I can get sky go to work on the tv via HDMI and watch sky sports, interesting no lincensing laws are applicable here

Sky's NowTV are strict on devices, they only allow four. A phone, laptop and your Chromecast Dongle and that's three gone. So, they are pretty much sure that it's you and you alone receiving the programs, that's why maybe they are not too bothered about allowing the App to have an HDMI attached. That said I'm not sure whether that is controlled by the app or the phone.

Gorse Hill

Free Member
Feb 2, 2013
Stretford
Funster No
MH
Burnster Ixeo IT 734
Exp
I watched Sky Sports via Now TV with it last night.
I was aware of that Jim but as I have a sky package at home didn't want to add another subscription, unless I can use Now TV with my subscription I already pay for from sky but that's probably unlikely although I haven't looked into yet

OP
OP
Jim

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
I was aware of that Jim but as I have a sky package at home didn't want to add another subscription, unless I can use Now TV with my subscription I already pay for from sky but that's probably unlikely although I haven't looked into yet

I think they are pretty separate. But I only subscribe for the Rugby and Now TV allows me to easily subscribe for a day, a month or they even offer deals on tournaments. Like £30 for all the Autumn Internationals. Bargain.

Gorse Hill

Free Member
Feb 2, 2013
Stretford
Funster No
MH
Burnster Ixeo IT 734
Exp

Sky's NowTV are strict on devices, they only allow four. A phone, laptop and your Chromecast Dongle and that's three gone. So, they are pretty much sure that it's you and you alone receiving the programs, that's why maybe they are not too bothered about allowing the App to have an HDMI attached. That said I'm not sure whether that is controlled by the app or the phone.
Interesting because I think the sky go app only allows 2 and the sky go extra 4 user so you would think the same applies
Maybe more about taking more money off me, even thou I pay sky already
Is Now TV not owned by Sky :sneaky:

OP
OP
Jim

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Interesting because I think the sky go app only allows 2 and the sky go extra 4 user so you would think the same applies
Maybe more about taking more money off me, even thou I pay sky already
Is Now TV not owned by Sky :sneaky:

Yes NowTV is Sky.

ukbill

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2011
Pinoso
Funster No
MH
4 berth low profile
Exp
starting on saturday 10/3/2012
Hope to cya @ a rally soon @Jim you can show me ya setup ill bring the booze but don't tell sian i aint got enough for her xxx

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User

The SkyGo restriction is the app not the device. As far as I'm aware it's the same whatever platform or OS you're using.

Gorse Hill

Free Member
Feb 2, 2013
Stretford
Funster No
MH
Burnster Ixeo IT 734
Exp
The SkyGo restriction is the app not the device. As far as I'm aware it's the same whatever platform or OS you're using.
How come you can use an Xbox with a sky go app installed and use the HDMI output to the tv, yet the apple product Jim has will not allow the HDMI to be used to the tv with the sky go app

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
How come you can use an Xbox with a sky go app installed and use the HDMI output to the tv, yet the apple product Jim has will not allow the HDMI to be used to the tv with the sky go app

No idea. Perhaps because an xbox doesn't have its own display so by definition unless you connect an external one its just a useless lump of plastic? It would have been pointless to release the app for xbox and then not permit external displays wouldn't it.

I know you can't output to an external display on Android phones or Windows phones either so it's definitely not an Apple issue.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Sooooo ... whilst you often aren't allowed to tether with some phone sims is there a way that this method could be utilised to allow you to link your phone with a tablet/laptop to utilise the data for browsing etc or is it only because it is linked to a 'monitor' that you can do it?

Jeff and terri

Free Member
Jan 3, 2017
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Ford transit twin wheel
Exp
3 years
I use one of these leads for my iPad to connect to tv . Then download what I want to watch from YouTube into my documents app programs as long as 1 hour downloads in minutes then I just play them back on the tv in the mh :)

Jan 16, 2017
Hillingdon
Funster No
MH
Vantage Med
Exp
Since 2017
Has anyone found a simple way of connecting an iPhone 6 playing Virgin TV Go (using 4G) to play (mirror) on an Avtex TV. I get the impression that this is blocked by Virgin and that most, if not all connector leads are not compatible or does the lightning/HDMI Apple connector allow this to happen? Any other ideas?

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
Jim Dont tell too many people about this method, I am already haunted by the Duff, Duff, Duff intro sounds of Eastenders everywhere we go.!:xangry:

Mar 21, 2010
Funster No
I am lost after reading the above!!

You TV experts. How can I get Eurosport without using my sky card while in the MH?

colyboy

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
Interestingly 4 won't mirror to the tv but itv hub and iPlayer will. Using Android.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back