toad electric problem (1 Viewer)

Aug 9, 2008
Lanner - Cornwall
Funster No
MH
A Class RV
Exp
20 + Years
Hi, I recently changed my toad from a Smarty to a Toyota Yaris Verso.
Having previously wired up the smarty myself I had no problem doing the same to the Toyota. However although everything tested out okay after connecting up to the RV, it became apparent after a long journey that something isnt right. On arrival at my destination my Toads battery was flat.During the drive I had to have my wipers,lights etc on for the whole journey.

From my previous experience of Smarty, I understood the RV's battery was running the electrics in both vehicles, I can understand that the altenator may have been struggling with the amount of items in use, but why did the Toads Battery go flat as NO switches were operated in it.

Do think it is an anomaly with Toyota.????

Brian

Bryan

Free Member
Jul 19, 2007
Funster No
Hi,

Your rv alternator should not struggle with all the electrics anyway - after all, it's only a few lights on the toad, nothing much.

Regarding your problem, I'd check for an earth problem...it causes 99.99 of all electrikery problems and trust me, I KNOW:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
MAUBRI
Aug 9, 2008
Lanner - Cornwall
Funster No
MH
A Class RV
Exp
20 + Years
How have you wired up the electrics?

Teed into each respective wire at the easiest point in the case of the Brake and Rear guard bulbs on the o/p from the switch all the others just short of the bulb. So as I said as no switch is operated I cant see how the Toads Battery gets involved in the circuit.

Brian

OP
OP
MAUBRI
Aug 9, 2008
Lanner - Cornwall
Funster No
MH
A Class RV
Exp
20 + Years
Hi,

Your rv alternator should not struggle with all the electrics anyway - after all, it's only a few lights on the toad, nothing much.

Regarding your problem, I'd check for an earth problem...it causes 99.99 of all electrikery problems and trust me, I KNOW:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Currently earth is connected to Bodywork, tested resistance between connection and Negative battery Post and it is Zero.

Brian

Hymer

Free Member
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
Hi,

it may be that the toad's brake lights are feeding back to the van and operating the van's brake lights. You may need a diode in the brake light feed from the van to prevent this.

Try operating the toad's brakes when connected up but with the van ignition off and look at the van's brake lights.

Alan

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
So as I said as no switch is operated I cant see how the Toads Battery gets involved in the circuit.

Brian

Have you seen a good circuit diagram of the Toyota ?

These days of electronics controls it's often nothing as simple as "switch" operating the lights.

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
I may be dim here but to tow toad on a frame, ignition switch needs to be one click round to free steering lock. Did you accidentally give it one click too many and do your journey with live ignition ? That would flatten battery

Larry

Last edited:

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
I may be dim here but to tow toad on a frame, ignition switch needs to be one click round to free steering lock. Did you accidentally give it one click too many and do your journey with live ignition ? That would flatten battery

Larry
Most likely coase of problem.
I know its not much to do with this problem,but when I had a Citroen AX toad it would never start after hauling it back from Spain,it turned out to be a electric cutout that was suposed to trip in the event of an accident,the constant shunting of the toad behind the RV used to trip it.
Another problem which I still get is water in the electrics if we have bad weather whilst towing.
Under normal driving conditions the heat from the cars motor dries any wet out whilst driving,but when being towed it just builds up.
Solution is to cover disy with plastic bag.

OP
OP
MAUBRI
Aug 9, 2008
Lanner - Cornwall
Funster No
MH
A Class RV
Exp
20 + Years
Have you seen a good circuit diagram of the Toyota ?

These days of electronics controls it's often nothing as simple as "switch" operating the lights.

Hi Brian, I think you may have hit on the answer. Probably some sensor is picking up the current flow.

Obviously the Toads Brake lights will light the vans because they are not ignition controlled which is like most modern cars today.

No I am not turning the key one stop two far.

I think the only way to stop this happening is to disconnect the battery earth terminal on the toad. As all the lights should be operated from the van's electrics

Brian

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Hi Brian, I think you may have hit on the answer.
Brian

All I did was ask the question. I don't know the answer. So where did all that electricity go unnoticed ?

Your MH is running so voltage is high - TOAD low.

It's not adding up.

You might pour yourself a large one and ask "have I done something stupid" - works for me. Not that I have ever done anything stupid you realise.

Or very subtle - I wonder if adding volts to the dead Toyota wires fires up the electronics as if you turned the ignition on.

OP
OP
MAUBRI
Aug 9, 2008
Lanner - Cornwall
Funster No
MH
A Class RV
Exp
20 + Years
All I did was ask the question. I don't know the answer. So where did all that electricity go unnoticed ?

Your MH is running so voltage is high - TOAD low.

It's not adding up.

You might pour yourself a large one and ask "have I done something stupid" - works for me. Not that I have ever done anything stupid you realise.

Or very subtle - I wonder if adding volts to the dead Toyota wires fires up the electronics as if you turned the ignition on.

Hi Brian, I wasn't having a go at you, I was just answering all the questions in one post.

I think I need to check over Toyota's wiring diagram , because this is mad.

Brian

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back