• Total voters

Douglas

Free Member
Aug 22, 2008
South Wales,
Funster No
Exp
6 years + 5 years in boat before that
Why is it that when we insure our M/H's we spend hundreds of pounds, (well some of us do) to protect them. Yet when it comes to protecting our computers and all the information that is on there we wont (well some of us) spend a penny?

Every one knows that there is no such thing as a free lunch yet hundreds of us run the risk of loosing thousands of pounds (well some of us) by using Free AV protection.

Think about it. Why would a software company give you something for nothing and at the same time try and sell you a better version???

Wake up friends and smell the coffee

Doug...

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Doug,

on Windoze I used the free AVG.. no idea if it worked or not, Vista seldom ran long enough to catch a bug :RollEyes:

No poll option for 'None' , not required on Mac .. :thumb:

jim

OP
OP
Douglas

Douglas

Free Member
Aug 22, 2008
South Wales,
Funster No
Exp
How do I change it?
Doug...

PS I have seen demonstrated that in the first 5 minuets of connecting a computer to the Internet with out protection, it was infected with 7 bits of malware and trojans.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

G4GMO

Free Member
Sep 6, 2007
Herefordshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2007
Simply ..... because I do not need or require the extra "security" that is provided by the bought versions. I have Comodo firewall, anti-virus and defense+. I fail to see what the Pro version adds that I need.

My system has not been compromised and is kept up to date. Ccleaner helps to clean out the garbage occasionally.

Most of the bought versions are extremely resource hungry and don't add much security to the average home pc user. Most security breaches are caused by poor practices or the lack of security all together. There may be occasions when even the best bought security will be breached and what then?

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
I use Commodo on my machine. My son told me to use it. He is a 24 hour 7 Day week computer geek.

He will not use ms products whever he can avoid it. He ripps the likes of norton etc to bits.

I have never had a problem since I started using commodo.

Jim

:Smile:

evans88

Free Member
Jul 8, 2008
South Devon
Funster No
MH
Hi Top
Exp
Another satisfied Comodo user here. Unlike AVG, which I use on another machine, Comodo also has firewall protection.

G4GMO

Free Member
Sep 6, 2007
Herefordshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2007
The free versions are intended for home pc users and offer good security. The bought versions are intended for the purpose where the free license does not allow its use, for example in industrial/commercial use.

The bought versions operate in exactly the same way as the free versions but with extra facilities that rarely improve on security.

MIN663

Free Member
Sep 19, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
1 year
I use NOD32 recommended by a friend in the trade, never had a problem since

Cheers Min :thumb:

danie_jc

Free Member
Sep 5, 2009
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
AVG - used it for years without problems

my 15yr old son on the other hand needs something that protects him against clicking on and opening everything!!! Even when the warnings come up :Doh:.

tony morris

Free Member
Jun 27, 2008
Calcot Reading Berkshire
Funster No
MH
bailey caravan
Exp
30 months mh 40+ years tugger and camping
Hi AVG for me, 80 million+ users ,never had a proplem.
updates every day, why pay?, look at AVG forum,
speaks for it's self.

S

sinbad1

Deleted User
Why is it that when we insure our M/H's we spend hundreds of pounds, (well some of us do) to protect them. Yet when it comes to protecting our computers and all the information that is on there we wont (well some of us) spend a penny?

Every one knows that there is no such thing as a free lunch yet hundreds of us run the risk of loosing thousands of pounds (well some of us) by using Free AV protection.

Think about it. Why would a software company give you something for nothing and at the same time try and sell you a better version???

Doug...

If you pay for your antivirus and anti-spyware protection you tend to get some nice features, but you usually don't get better protection. The reason is several companies have committed themselves to providing free versions of their software for those who can't or won't pay money for it. A lot of this software is superior quality and as for getting something for nothing i guess the hope is you will upgrade to the paid for version,Paid for or not the database download is the same.

NO antivirus program paid for or not is 100%.

The free one's have protected me for many years and IMO see no reason to change

Best antivirus is common sense:thumb:

Last edited by a moderator:

nozzmoking

Free Member
Jul 31, 2008
West Berkshire
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
Since 2008
I tend to agree with Doug, although AVG is free I prefer to pay for the multi-user licence here in the office.

I think it also depends on the type of surfing you do. Many people don't go much further than using a forum or two, Google for their searches, Amazon/Tesco/eBay for their shopping and obviously a mail client for their emailing. This kind of scenario means you should stay relatively safe using a free AV.

Another free program worth considering, especially if you're a heavy computer user is a 'registry cleaner', or booster as some are known. For those that don't know, the registry is where your computer stores all the information about your desktop, programs etc. Over time your computer will end up with lots of invalid or incorrect entries in the registry possibly from where you've deleted files, desktop shortcuts or programs etc. and if left, could potentially screw up your operating system. At the very least you'll probably notice your computer beginning to run slower than usual.

I use a program called Glary Utilities and find it very good. In fact, every time I run it, it finds problems. However, one click of the button and they're fixed.

Link Removed

I work with very large graphic files, which get downloaded and then deleted. If you do the same with downloading films/music etc. then it's important your PC, or Mac is defragged on a regular basis. I won't bore you all with an explanation of what hard disk fragmentation is, but if you want to check if your PC needs 'defragging' then goto:

Start > Programs > Accessories > System Tools > Disk Defragger

Select your hard drive and click the button 'Analyze'.

This will show how fragmented, if any, your hard disk has become.

With just a small selection of tools, you can keep your PC running sweet. :thumb:

G4GMO

Free Member
Sep 6, 2007
Herefordshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2007
One should exercise caution using registry cleaning utilities as they can trash your pc. Always back up the registry first. I can't comment on GlaryUitilities but just thought a word of warning. I know 'cus I have managed it.

Always a good idea to back up your data too. Comodo Backup version 1 works well, if you can still find a copy. Not found the new version very friendly but there are no doubt others that work well.

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
On my Windows computer I have always used a combination of AVG and McAfee Site Asvisor and have always been alerted to potential problems . On my Linux computer I don't need any protection at all.

Rgds
Bill

6pm Cowboy

Free Member
Jun 26, 2009
South Oxfordshire
Funster No
MH
none ( yet )
Exp
0 - but I live in hope
I have tried Norton and the other big one ( name escapes me, having a senior moment ) and both worked ok for 6 months then became a pain in the ass. I use apple now so no need for all that stuff.

AN APPLE A DAY KEEPS THE VIRUS AWAY

johnsandywhite

Free Member
Jul 29, 2007
Doncaster/Spain
Funster No
MH
'A' Class RV &
Exp
Used AVG for last 4 to 5 years on internet every day 4 to 5 hrs never had a problem, so why pay.

:Cool: I have been using this for as long as I can remember along side of Avira Anti-virus and Zonealarm Firewall. Had NO problems with infection or computer crashes so far. :thumb:

JumboBeef

Free Member
Jul 27, 2009
Funster No
Have used Free AVG on a total of five machines over the last five (I think?) years. Works perfectly, never had a problem.

Thank to everyone who pays for their AV, you are keeping it free for the rest of us :thumb::ROFLMAO:

atakd

Free Member
Nov 15, 2009
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since '99

Doug...

Many things on the internet don't cost money; yahoo mail etc but the companies make money by advertising and putting cookies on your drive. Personally, I think that's a price worth paying. I think a lot of people are panicked into paying for protection they don't need - do you buy dishwasher cleaning tablets by any chance:winky:

pneumatician

Free Member
Feb 22, 2009
Burntwood Staffs
Funster No
MH
La Strada,
Exp
since 2000
Free Av

Free AV is quite naturally worth every penny but I much prefer the purchased full monty.
So far I have tried Norton which was OK but I found an absolute bugger to remove, then MacAfee which also was OK. Currently we are using AVG (Purchased) which I like because it seems simple to operate and thorough, just like me.

Never connect to the Internet without AV. My pal bought a new PC fired it up and almost imediately it became inoperable, he had to return it to his supplier who had failed to installed AV.

Steve

OP
OP
Douglas

Douglas

Free Member
Aug 22, 2008
South Wales,
Funster No
Exp
Well I am surprised at the poll, so I will tell you this.

A week or 3 back a friend gave me a memory stick to copy a program on to it for him, as soon as I plugged it in my protection started ringing bells, there was 1 trojan and 5 items of mall wear on it.

I asked what protection he had and he said AVG!!! So make of that what you will.

Just because the are no symptoms of infection on your computer does not mean that it is not infected!!!!!

It just means that your protection has not detected it!!!

Doug...

G4GMO

Free Member
Sep 6, 2007
Herefordshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2007
That's a very good point Doug. Not all anti-virus priograms detect all malware. Problem is neither do the purchased ones. It isn't recommended to run more than one at any one time so the only option is to check the pc regularly with alternative programmes ... these free ones are well documented as being efficient at detecting malware and I run them both occasionally to make sure my free antivirus hasn't missed anything. Malwarebytes and Superantispyware.

Unfortunately AVG has become less in favour lately from reviews I have read so that doesn't surprise me.

G4GMO

Free Member
Sep 6, 2007
Herefordshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2007
Another point, Comodo occasionally gives me false positives when I do a scan so even some of the best aren't perfect and I have to go searching to see what the files are.

OP
OP
Douglas

Douglas

Free Member
Aug 22, 2008
South Wales,
Funster No
Exp
That's a very good point Doug. Not all anti-virus priograms detect all malware. Problem is neither do the purchased ones. It isn't recommended to run more than one at any one time so the only option is to check the pc regularly with alternative programmes ... these free ones are well documented as being efficient at detecting malware and I run them both occasionally to make sure my free antivirus hasn't missed anything. Malwarebytes and Superantispyware.

Unfortunately AVG has become less in favour lately from reviews I have read so that doesn't surprise me.

This is all very well and good for you Jon, but what about the rest of the funsters that don't have your capability and are relying on a free protection that in reality is not protecting them at all.

That was my motivation in starting this thread, not to tell everyone how cleaver I was!!

Doug...

G4GMO

Free Member
Sep 6, 2007
Herefordshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2007
This is all very well and good for you Jon, but what about the rest of the funsters that don't have your capability and are relying on a free protection that in reality is not protecting them at all.

That was my motivation in starting this thread, not to tell everyone how cleaver I was!!

Doug...

We all have the capability just maybe don't realise we have and that the information is out there. I'm probably no cleverer than anyone else on here just maybe know different things because I was interested enough to find out. :Cool:

Just because a subscription has been paid for Norton or MacAfee or whatever paid up anti-virus/firewall programme people run doesn't guarantee freedom from malware attacks. It only reduces the likelyhood in exactly the same way that free programs do. Not all programs are equal and some of the free ones are superior to many of the paid for services. I'm not using the "best" out there, I'm using the one that suits my needs and matches my way of working. Sometimes you have to try a few before you find the one you like. A bit like girl friends :ROFLMAO:

What people should be doing is following good practice as well.

I'm sure we will agree to differ with our views on free vs paid for subscriptions but hey that's ok. :thumb:

Last edited:

Landy lover

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2009
Zummerzet
Funster No
MH
27ft Eurolight
Exp
Camping Caravaning now 5'ering 49 years
Bear in mind my comments are based on business use we use AVG bought version - we have over the years tried Norton and McAfee both of which failed us in different ways and Norton kept crashing the computers requiring a full restart - i was advised by the owner of a call centre to try AVG and we have been with that now for probably 7 years without any problem at all.

IMHO the reason why someone like AVG would give free use is to get the very latest info on virus's as all systems report back when you are on line they should get a report of a virus or other problem within seconds of it hitting the web so the more users the better the information they should get.:thumb:

SandJ

Free Member
Sep 14, 2007
North Yorks
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Too long lol
I use Commodo on my machine. My son told me to use it. He is a 24 hour 7 Day week computer geek.

He will not use ms products whever he can avoid it. He ripps the likes of norton etc to bits.

I have never had a problem since I started using commodo.

Jim

:Smile:
Jim,
Thank you very much for reccomending this:
I thought I was well covered as I had avg free,which constantly receives praises. I have just downloaded Commodo and it found 2 x net-worm.win.Kido.ih a nasty Network worm. I do not know how old it was but will now load Commodo on my other lappies that use Network and see what happens.

Thanks once again

:thumb:

Steve

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back